Albuquerque, NM

Posted February 11, 2015
We moved to ABQ from Edgewood, as it was closer to base and I was terrified at the reviews and reputation that Van Buren had in the past. I didn't want my two oldest sons to attend there but decided to give it a chance and I'm glad that I did! My oldest has not been on the honor role his entire Jr high years (6-8th) but this year he is on the honor role, has friends and genuinely enjoys his classes. In Edgewood, he was having to take Math labs to keep up and was being bullied constantly. My middle son is my more advanced child and is still challenged as a student. The teachers all have a genuine love for what they do and the students, which is rare these days. Mrs. Reiger is a wonderful principal who keeps her students in line. Given the previous situations, before she took over, I am glad that she is as strict as she is and has cut back on bullying and gang issues. We will miss her when she leaves and hope that the next principal can fill her shoes. Please give the school a chance, yes the dress code is strict. Honestly, I had an issue at first, but for the safety of my children it is worth it to make slight wardrobe changes. Isn't your child worth the safety precautions?

Posted September 24, 2013
Perhaps you are the rude one dear parent and you are in denial about your behavior as well as your child's behavior. Van Buren is a great school with a great staff. They all go above and beyond to do what is best for students and their families. We thank them all!

Van Buren Middle School 1

Posted December 20, 2012
MY SON HAS BEEN AT VAN BUREN FOR 3 YEARS AND I KEEP KICKING MYSELF WONDERING WHY I HAVE NOT SWITCHED SCHOOLS! HE IS IN SPECIAL EDUCATION AND HIS MATH TEACHER IS SO OUT OF TOUCH AND DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE CHILDREN WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES. TRIED TO GET HELP FROM THE SCHOOL AND ALL THEY DID IS MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEIR TEACHER. NOW THE PRICIPAL IS SO RUDE AND MAKES PARENTS FEE LIKE THEY ARE INVADING HER SCHOOL WHEN THEY STOP IN! i HAD TO DEAL WITH HER ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS AND SHE IS VERY VERY RUDE, SHE RUNS THIS SCHOOL LIKE IT IS A PRISON. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH BOOKS FOR ALL OF THE STUDENTS AND THE DRESS CODE IS SILLY. TAKE MY ADVICE AND DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. LOTS OF BULLIES AND NOTHING DONE ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

Posted May 17, 2010
I have 3 of my children going to Van Buren and I also have a Sophomore in HIgh School who attended Van Buren for all 3 years of middle school. It really upset me to read the nasty comments people have about it. This school has helped all my children to reach their full potential from a child who started in special ed. to a child in regular ed. going towards gifted. The teachers and staff are wonderful and do everything in their power to help all the children be the best students and citizen they know they can be. Maybe if you had a bad experience here its because you looked on the outside instead of what was going on inside.

Posted March 13, 2010
Van buren is a very good school. It has amazing teachers and students. Even though in the news they talk really bad about Van Buren that is not true. My daughter used to be there and I heard the news and all the bad stuff so i decided tomove and in the other school they put her in gifted classes she was very advanced. So don't belive what the news say because that is not true.

Van Buren Middle School 4

Posted September 28, 2009
The teachers at Van Buren are amazing! They are very knowledgeable in their fields and enthusiastic about education. The Vice Principle is caring, involved, and in general fantastic! The only improvement this school needs is more money - to buy books, computers, fix up the school.

Van Buren Middle School 1

Posted March 31, 2008

Posted August 23, 2007
My kids have gone to Van Buren for 2 years now and they are happy there. The school has an undeserved bad reputation, there aren't any more problems there than you find at any middle school. They are in a poor neighborhood and they do a pretty good job with what they have. They have a gifted program and if your child is advanced in math they will send them to the high school for it. The teachers there will give the kids more advanced work if they need it so they don't get bored. I have friends that send their kids to other APS middle schools and I don't see any difference in the quality of education. Check it out for yourself before you decide. The staff and principal are more than happy to talk to you.

Van Buren Middle School 3

Posted August 20, 2007
My son was given no homework all year. My son has not been challenged in any subject. Sports offered are soccer, boxing, track, football and basketball. My son appreciated the CAP (Civil Air Patrol) class, and it definately got him in better physical condition. Small class size, also the school offered all boys or all girls classes in 6th grade, and we were very happy with that. Would like to see it in all the grades. I appreciate that it is a uniform school

Posted July 19, 2007
- a administrator
We at Van Buren are very sorry that even one of our parents felt that their students needs were not met. We are in a poverty area but as a school we have more resources than most. We choose not to have a textbook that may be outdated at print for every student, but choose to have a set for each classroom to use as a reference. We are a school dedicated to moving forward with technology and information is increasing at a rapid rate that technology can only keep up with. The money not spent on each student is the used to purchase enrichment materials to be used in the classroom. Any concern can be brought to the office. We try to help resolve all conflicts.

Van Buren Middle School
700 Louisiana SE, Albuquerque, NM  87108
Last modified Van Buren Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Van Buren Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top