Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 15, 2016
The homework is very reasonable in our experience - perfect balance between in-class work and homework. Occasional long-term projects are thrown in to help kids learn to pace themselves over a couple of weeks or months.

Posted August 15, 2016
We have had a wonderful experience with Hubert Humphrey Elementary School. We intentionally moved into HH district because of its history of high test scores, the small size of the school, and its diversity (most of the school boundary consists of middle class to upper middle class neighborhoods but there are some upper class areas and a couple of small apartment complexes too). We have not been disappointed at all! We have many friends who have children around our daughter's age in other schools surrounding HH and in talking with them, we definitely chose correctly. Every teacher that our daughter has had is dedicated, friendly, encouraging, creative, helpful, and responsive. Our daughter loves to learn. Luckily, the other students at HH are equally engaged and eager to learn - this is a huge help in today’s society. The parents at the school are involved without being too pushy and the mood at the school is generally positive and that is very encouraging as our daughter continues at HH. As public schools go, I can’t imagine that it gets much better than Hubert Humphrey Elementary.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted February 17, 2016
I am of the opinion that elementary children should not have to spend 7 hours a day at school and then have to go home and have their parents teach them more "work". My children have chores, music, and other family and extracurricular activites that is more important to their education than more worksheets that they cry about for 2 hours.

Hubert H Humphrey Elementary School 3

Posted February 17, 2016
My son has only been attending this school for a few months but we have not been impressed at all. Compared to the school that we came from (out of state), Hubert Humphrey is consisiderably lacking in security, communication, and enthusiasm. The two ladies who run the front office will have a contest as to who will NOT greet you when you walk in and then give you the feeling that you are being burdensome and interrupting their work with your questions. I have never seen the principal and neither has my child. No doors on the building are secure. I could arrive at any time and have access to any area without questions from anyone! They do not explain what their procedures are for visiting the school but if you bother them, they will then ask you to sign a sign in sheet but there are no questions about who you may be. At this point I have only met my sons teacher so I can only reflect my experience with her which has not been much different from the front office. My son came into this school ahead in reading and math but has now lost his lead. He was so excited for his new school but within a week that excitement wore off. He complained thay it was too easy and that all they do is worksheets all day. Now, a few months later, his entire attitude toward school has changed. He doesn't want to go anymore even though he has made many new friends. He is not fond of his teacher at all like he was at his previous school. He does love the teacher's aide though and said that she is happy. His teacher does not respond to emails in a timely manner, if at all, and I have hardly emailed her. I also received an email from the office today letting parents know that teachers are not responsible for replying to homework requests from parents! My family so far has been disappointed in Hubert Humphrey all round and are considering other options for our children's education. :(

Posted January 12, 2016
We moved here for the school and have not been disappointed. The before and after care program is great and our daughter is thriving.

Posted November 25, 2014
My oldest child is now in 4th grade, while my youngest now attends at the Kindergarten level. I have nothing but positive thoughts about this school and it's staff. Both of my sons learn slower than the average student, and this school has been sensitive to that fact and is assisting properly. My oldest has been receiving special education for four years now. Through different techniques and procedures, he has been able to keep up with the rest of the class for the most part. My youngest son is already pacing faster at learning concepts, even though he has speech issues. His K teacher is wonderful, and never makes him feel out of place. I find that people who have bad experiences are the first to write a review (even in the workplace), but only a minority will do so even if they are just only satisfied. I hope this review will help other parents who are thinking of attending here. By the way, the PTSA is great and there programs are really good too!

Hubert H Humphrey Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2014
We moved here two years ago thinking that this was a good place for our kids to go to school. This has ended up being the worst school out of three elementary schools in two states that my kids have attended. Having a child with special needs, who previously was able to thrive in the general classroom, we were so disappointed with the special ed program and the lack of communication that we are homeschooling this child. The principal is the least friendly, least helpful that I have ever encountered. She initially refused to even set up a meeting to address my concerns and when she did consent told me that my child was responsible for their own education and that I should let the teachers do their job. I was discouraged from observing my child in the classroom and told that I was too much of a distraction. The admin is unfriendly whenever I go in. This leadership environment definitely detracts from the success of the school. I would never recommend this school to anyone and hope to be able to transfer or move as soon as possible.

Hubert H Humphrey Elementary School 3

Posted February 28, 2014
We enthusiastically moved into this school district in order to attend Hubert Humphrey. We liked the smaller size of the school and loved the good reports about it on this site. But we disenrolled our child after less than a year. While I have no doubt that there are fine teachers here, the overall feeling on campus is not a happy one. It feels like a school that is in decline. We are involved parents, and we support teachers and public schools. But we could not bear to watch our kid struggle here for another week. We felt like his intelligence was treated as a burden and found that he was singled out for punishment because he was more honest about his (mis)behavior than other, equally culpable children. Very, very disappointed in this experience.

Hubert H Humphrey Elementary School 4

Posted August 05, 2013
I found the majority of the teachers to be excellent and genuinely care about the students. I agree with some of the other comments that the previous posters have made regarding the administration and leadership. The principal can be intimidating towards parents and teachers which creates some animosity and negative feelings. On a positive note, I do believe she does care about the students in general. I just feel she needs to learn better communication skills. This would make the experience there more pleasant. Overall the level of education there is good and for that I would give it an above average rating.

Posted June 13, 2012
We are a military family who has lived in the area for two years. I feel like my child is receiving a STELLAR education at this school. Both of the teachers we have had have been kind, caring, and overall great teachers. We feel very fortunate in that regard. The new councilor addresses issues quickly and effectively. I am a bit disappointed that she didn't continue last year's military program. Perhaps next year? As a frequent volunteer in my child s class, my perspective on the principal is that she has a great staff and the school is very well run. However her leadership skills need work based on my observation of her inability to inspire and motivate some teachers, and at times even de-motivating teachers with her actions. Her management style comes across as very directive with little opportunity for explanation or discussion. I also find the principal s interaction with parents as gruff and that she seems to lack the desire to understand the parent s position / viewpoint. As the school s ambassador, I expect that she should be more welcoming to parents and that she should be legitimately interested in hearing and understanding any input from parents.

9801 Academy Hills Dr NE, Albuquerque, NM  87111
Last modified Hubert H Humphrey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.