School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Cleveland Middle School is one of the best middle school in the Albuquerque area! We offer a comprehensive educational program for all students; from gifted students to students with learning disabilities. There are numerous after school activities and academic support programs. Our studenta can also participate in seven different sports through our athletic departmentt. There is something for everyone, here at Cleveland!
March 18, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I think they are very effective in making the students feel like they are criminals

My son went to this school and had a hard time. He was a difficult child so I thought he was the problem but now my daughter just started as a sixth grader and has a terrible opinion about school since she started here and I have realized the school is the problem. They bully the kids more than the other kids do. They treat the school like a mini prison and are very un-friendly to the kids. They spend more time enforcing dress code, which they do not even follow themselves, than they do trying to teach kids. They brag about all of the athletics offered however will only allow a handful of students are allowed to play. Very very disappointed :(

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Too sarcastic, too many temper tantrums, not enough mentoring going on. They just want to get them thru the next test. That's it. The classes aren't "fun".....because the teachers are so busy worrying about testing and cramming so much information down their throats...they don't make the classes fun. If you want them to learn, they have to KNOW you are on their side.

Amount of homework: no rating

Depends on the Teachers. One teacher actually gives out homework passes if you bring in school supplies throughout the year. How's my student supposed to learn if you give him a pass for your supplies? Then when he brings in supplies...the pens aren't the right color. Well...be specific then.

Develops character: Neutral

How about developing honesty, integrity, and fairness in it's TEACHERS!!! That's what they need to work on before they can start teaching their students that.

The school does not offer more than one elective, and my child is complaining about a second period RTI class where they have to go from class to class every week for test prep. Where are the PE classes? Other middle schools seem to be able to have two elective classes!

My son is attending this school as a seventh grader, this year, and also attended sixth grade there as well. So far, we have had no problems and we think Cleveland is a GREAT school with GREAT teachers! While, there is a dress code, it's not really as strict as most. My son doesn't mind because although everything must be plain, it still gives him the opportunity to choose the colors and types of clothing to wear. It's so much better than a uniform. I also really like iParent because I can keep track of my sons grades and assignments! We are proud to the parents of a Cleveland Middle School Colt!

I like Cleveland MS. They're teachers really care for our children. I like that they have taken care of the bullying issues. My son enjoys going there.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 18, 2013

I have a 6th grader at this school who is a very bright, well behaved child but feels this school "doesn't pay attention to the good kids and focuses more on rules than teaching." The first week of school I met with the principal regarding placement. My son was automatically placed in a lower math class although he had scored advanced on all state test, in class work, and on the mid school placement test. However, the school's policy is to put kids in a basic math class if they are not gifted. He sat in a class that was considerably below his performance level (and doing nothing) for nearly 4 weeks. He was eventually moved after I pushed administration and had his previous school call, however I was basically given lip service and a canned response while the school was trying to get their act together.The students are said to be bullies and not well behaved but the school publishes discipline/behavioral policies that are not enforced including a dress policy that 90% of the kids do not follow with no consequence. Supposedly there is an excellent curriculum and lots of activities however I see none of this executed well. The band program is horrible. The school lacks leadership.

Last modified Cleveland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.