Dennis Chavez Elementary School 2

Posted June 08, 2011
My Daughter has been going to DCES for two years now and the first year her teacher was great. She went above and beyond to help the children learn more. This year it is a different story. My daughter was struggling with her math and reading. I could not understand how she was going from great to really bad in a summer. After looking at her homework and classwork, I noticed the way I was teacher her to do math was different then the teacher. She told the teacher she did not understand the way she taught it. I tried time and time again to get ahold of the teacher and she was always out that day or too busy to call me back. I am hoping for the best this coming year, but it is a wait and see.

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 3

Posted September 21, 2010
We have been at this school for a little over a year now and my son does like it here. Yes they do only get 15 mins to eat but they can stay longer and miss out on some of their recess. My only complaint is that the teachers seem so busy and as soon as the bell rings they walk the students out and then are gone. If you want to talk with one of them you pretty much need an appointment . I realize they too have a life and family however if you have a question or comment they just seem to be rushed. Also we had curriculum night a week or so ago and in my son's classroom there was a 30min powerpoint with no time for questions or comments afterwards as the principle announced they had 5 mins to get to the office.

Posted May 15, 2010
DCES is evolving. It is changing. Sometimes change is hard and slow, but it happens. In many ways the school is getting better. I don't think this is the forum for posting something that pertains to just you or your child unless it is widespread. If so, it is best to address your issue with the school first, and then the district. The lunch room situation is being addressed. Many of the teachers are caring and wonderful. A handful should probably be in another line of work. I would imagine this is true at all schools. I continue to believe that DCES is a fine school, and my child is entering the upper grades, where I only have great expectations for the last 2 years.

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 5

Posted May 14, 2010
This school is amazing and always has been because of the great teachers we have. Parents who come in and want to nit pick at everything obviously has never worked in a school. Lunches are not taken away, and the kids have only 15 minutes to eat so this time needs to be used to eat and not talk. This is not HAPPY HOUR or social hour, recess can be used to socialize. The upper grades have excellent teachers who work hard to give these children and excellent education. But unfortunately with ignorant parents who don't want their children disciplined for any reason, how can a teacher get their job done with these parents always butting in!!!! I would hate to have to work at this school with parents who always complain. They fail to realize that that teaching is a hard job. Overworked and underpaid, could they do it?

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 2

Posted May 05, 2010
Parents- beware of the ratings and look at the dates on the comments! This was a good school up until about 2 years ago, but it has seriously gone done hill since then. Children screamed at nonstop rhoughout their 15 minute lunch, classrooms punished by having part of their lunch taken aware, student teachers crying because they cannot control the class while the real teacher leaves to go pick up food and catch a smoke break (not on off period), waiting six months for testing by a diagnostician. The school is still decent in the lower grades, but is severely lacking past second grade.

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 0

Posted May 04, 2010
This is a wonderful beautiful campus. Great teachers who really care and have taught my son so much. They make it a fun happy environment for the kids and still include all the necessary learning.

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 1

Posted April 13, 2010
Hate this school. My daughter hates this school as well. The teachers for the most part are incompetent and the principal does not seem to exist. There is no parent involvement in the school and if your child has any special needs like ADHD then don't expect any understanding from the school. Rather they expect you to put your child on drugs or else you get threatened with them being placed in special ed. Even though my daughter is extremely smart and even ahead of where her class is, because she has ADHD they pretty much demanded that I have her placed on drugs to control it or else she couldn't stay in the normal classes. I hate this school and can not wait to move out of this location. This school is far from deserving of a '10' rating!

Dennis Chavez Elementary School 5

Posted January 15, 2010
My daughter is in 5th grade at DCES this year and has been there since Kindergarten. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the school and her teachers. As for not offering computer instruction, each classroom has computers in it and the students are provided with computer training so I don't understand that complaint. The principal is new and I don't know him well, but the previous principal was there for a very long time and helped the school one of the best, so it is understandable that Mr. Zuniga is receiving criticism for just being different. The school has always solicited and welcomed parental involvement, the school is well kept and I know my kids are safe there.

Posted December 29, 2009

Posted November 16, 2009
It is appalling that the school is not offering computer instruction any more. The PE teacher and a brilliant counselor were chased off a few months ago. My kids' enthusiasm for the school has plummeted. Luckily, there are still some wonderful teachers left - I wonder for how long.

Dennis Chavez Elementary School
7500 Barstow NE, Albuquerque, NM  87109
Last modified Dennis Chavez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dennis Chavez Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top