Albuquerque, NM
Students enrolled: 1,926

Posted May 14, 2014
La Cueva has some great teachers but the few that are bad are really bad and not much you can do about it except take a WF (withdrawal fail-even if student is passing) and have the student take it somewhere else. On another note, it seems like approximately 50% of the students at LC are transfer students.

Posted January 09, 2014
I graduated a couple years ago from this school. Overall, it is an average school.There will always be good and bad teachers as well as good and bad students. The athletic departments always receive the bulk of funding, and I feel the fine arts should be better funded. I was in band and art classes. For band, we did our own funding, such as the craft fairs we held. I guess that helped develop humility in a sense. And our band program was stellar. We were outstanding during marching season, and state champs during concert season. Our art program wasn't too shabby either. Several students won awards for their work. I myself won $50 for a painting I did. Yet in my last years in painting classes, our teacher could barely afford paper towels (which believe me, we needed a lot of those). I'm not saying that atheletics shouldn't be funded, I'm just hoping that someday the fine arts department will get the share of the funding they deserve.

Posted February 24, 2013
I have been saying this for years, La Cueva is the best high school in the state, bar none (not Academy, not Sandia Prep, not Pius). Nothing can compete with the level of AP academics at this school. Math and science are rigorous at AP level. Forget the liberal whining with elitism, social class, color of skin, blahblah, etc. I have worked in the schools in many New Mexico districts, and it is absolutely appalling (including the districts within an hour's drive from Albuquerque). Both of my kids graduated from Ivy League grad schools with masters and Ph.D. in engineering, and La Cueva set the stage for them in math and science. English department was corrupt back then, not sure about that department now. Anything would have been better than Coffey as principal back then.Your kids, if they have any intellectual/academic competency and motivation, are best at La Cueva if you are looking for rigorous, competitive. If they don't, send them elsewhere. As far as the "trailer kids" are concerned, if they can keep up academically, that's fine; usually they don't. AP classes weed out the "problem and inclusion" (SpEd) kids, and concentrate on the kids who want to learn and can learn.

Posted February 21, 2013
I am a graduate of LCHS and a very proud alumni. Having now worked in other schools within the state I see that La Cueva deserves the recognition for excellence that it has earned. While at La Cueva, I was treated with respect by teachers, given many opportunities academically and extra curriculum wise that I see no where else in the state. I see several comments regarding politics, elitism, and the like and that is in every school in every city. La Cueva deserves the title of best in the state. The test scores are far above 99% of the schools in NM and the graduation rate is the second highest in the state as well. The fine arts department is first rate as is the athletic department. La Cueva wins more awards for music, athletics, science, math, etc than any other school in NM. You will not find a better high school in NM.

Posted July 08, 2012
As a student that just graduated from La Cueva, I am very glad that I was able to attend La Cueva for all four years, and then have the honor of placing in the top ten overall in my graduating class. I joined the band my freshman year, and I can say that you will make more friends from extracurriculars than from any other source. La Cueva may have its public relations problems, but as a whole, the student body does not participate in those nefarious activities. My experience with teachers varied, from having awful biology and chemistry teachers, but once you enter the AP-level classes, I never found a teacher that wasn't excellent. Also, it is worth taking summer P.E., Health, New Mexico History, Government, and Economics so that you may open up three more elective credits, which would aid you in gaining the foreign language experience many colleges now want. I feel that I am more than prepared for college, and that I may credit my teachers for helping to prepare me to attend a rigorous, out-of-state university.

Posted October 02, 2011
La Cueva is a monument to economic segregation, thanks to a school board that won't allow kids to cross the street from a trailer park to go to the high school they can see from their front doors. That's not the school's fault, necessarily, but it is disgusting, and it's a reflection that perhaps it's not so much the teaching that is different than any other school but the proficiency of the kids coming in.

La Cueva High School 2

Posted June 02, 2011
This school is overrated by the community... Our children went outside our school district to La Cueva based on the suggestion of the APS school district personnel. The school is too large for the staff to handle effectively and many kids fall through the cracks. The school is also plagued by drug problems and problems with its sports management. As military family, we've had our kids attend school in five different states and even more school districts. This is by far the worst. Our daughter thought she was basically repeating her coursework. NM schools are some of the worst in the country and even though La Cueva is rated as the best among them, it is a far cry from being a "great school". The curriculum does not challenge the kids and the teachers and staff display an arrogance and lack of honor and integrity that i haven't seen anywhere else. NM curriculum is well below the national average... You'll also find that athletics come before academics - not a recipe for success in today's world. If you care about your child's education and preparation for college and life beyond high school, don't put them in NM public schools and certainly don't send them to La Cueva.

Posted November 30, 2010
In my opinion La Cueva is by far the best school in the state. Many of the characteristics that critics argue to be downfalls are exactly the opposite. Some teachers have favoritism but that is to be expected at any school and also is a large part in the real world. College and the work force often times play favorites which is no different than any other high school.The school's principal is harped on quite often for being too hard on students. La Cueva and all of the students are held to a higher standard than any other school which requires this kind of behavior from the faculty and administration. The atmosphere is competitive which encourages hard work and the staff encourages extra curricular activies which help in forming more well rounded people. Any high school will have pit falls but in my opinion La Cueva High School is the most well rounded state in the state.

La Cueva High School 4

Posted February 28, 2010
Two of my children have attended LC, both unathletic self-described nerds. I didn't know that LC is considered a top athletic HS until I read it on the internet, and certainly my children found their niches. The band was a central EC in the first two years, while debate took over later. In regards to scholarship: 9th grade has a mandatory schedule that makes a lot of the classes a waste of time for advanced students. 'Honors' classes are not, really, and grade inflation is at least one whole point across the whole school. AP classes that I am familiar with include math, physics, chemistry, english, enviro science and history, vary in rigor and quality from average to really good. Chemistry, math, and history are stand-outs, although I am sad to say the brilliant history teacher will be retiring this year. Take AP tests for believable assessment.

La Cueva High School 2

Posted September 11, 2009

La Cueva High School
7801 Wilshire NE, Albuquerque, NM  87122
Last modified La Cueva High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
La Cueva High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top