Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

APS is going downhill quickly. This was a good school, probably one of the better ones, but there have been many things occurring that are unprofessional and out of teacher's control. Too many students on the playground, too much testing, way too many interruptions during the instructional day and lack of discipline from administrator. Better off homeschooling or plan on a mediocre experience at best.

Unfriendly environment for children, especially during lunch. The cafeteria is disgusting as it is never cleaned. Students are told to wipe down the tables with dirty rags. During lunch students are yelled at, threatened and punished if they are not silent. Front office staff is rude to parents and students. There is never any parking for events. Drop off and pick up lines are long and disorganized.

Military style treatment of children. Lots of screaming, yelling, improper punishment. Students are in fear during lunch. Principal 16-17 school year hides in corners or is otherwise silent. I have several kids in this school...half of the teachers are miserable and create hostile fear tactics and discourage students from inquiry by humiliating them (this is a common them and the other half of teachers refer to them the prison classes. Principal doesn't have a clue about teaching pedagogy or other best practices in evaluation or creating a warm learning environment.

This is a good school. Most teachers seem to be good. We have been here a short time. Vice Principal is approachable and my experience with her was good. My daughter likes the school. The PTA functions are great. It has a good "Community" feel to it. The school is safe and organized. The expectation for the children to succeed is high. Communication with the school is good. As far as Teacher/Parent communication, it has improved, but started out a bit shaky. Office staff has always been helpful and friendly (and most of all good to the kids) Looks like they may have received some bad press in the past (about a year ago). Due to something personal that was not handled well. Hope the school learned from that experience. That should not reflex the education of our children.

Phenomenal school! Very happy with teachers. The appearance of many portables in wait for future use is a bit concerning. It does not seem as though the school was built to hold a much larger capacity which will be an issue once the housing developments surrounding the school are completed. Traffic is chaotic. What would I change? The principal. He has not been fully understanding and cooperative to our "special" needs due to our family circumstances.

TAES has remarkable staff and students. The teachers and administration are very kind and attentive to student needs. My child has had a wonderful experience and we couldn't be happier with the education she is receiving.

I currently teach at TAES and we truly have such a great community. Our students and their families are hardworking, ambitious, and take pride in their academics. Our staff members provide quality instruction and strive to meet each students needs to ensure their academic success. The administration provides amazing support for both students and staff and they go above and beyond to create a positive environment. We have several community drives throughout the year, fun events for families, a very active PTA, and a well-rounded student council. Overall Tierra Antigua is an excellent school. Go Firebirds!!!

Tierra Antigua has been a terrific school for our two children. The curriculum is challenging yet fun for the kids. The principal and vice principal are very approachable and friendly, and the school's PTA is very active. The school doesn't have any roads with traffic near it since it's at the edge of town and seems really safe. I am not sure what the first negative review from 2010 was all about because this school has not had any portable classrooms until about a month ago. Maybe the poster posted about the wrong school.

My child attends Tierra Antigua Elementary School (TAES). As parents, my wife and I love the school. There is a lot of parent school involvement. At the same time, the in-classroom instruction is phenomenal. I have many friends that are teachers (public and private school) and I get the vibe from them that TAES is doing exactly what it should be doing. The teachers are great, the community is great, the school and neighborhoods are safe, and the entire staff (maintenance workers to after school staff) are pleasant.

The only other review here is very negative unfortunately. I'm sorry to hear that the parent and child had such a horrible time. In all fairness, the school was brand new when the other review was written and maybe they were still working some things out. I don't have a child that requires special assistance, but I certainly hope that if it were merely a matter of "working out the kinks" in a brand new school, they have done so now. MY experience has been great this year with my second grader. I'll admit, coming from the east, NM schools in general, are disappointing to me. However, as far as Albuquerque schools go, I think Tierra Antigua is a good choice. We love my daughter's teacher and I spend time every week helping in the classroom. I always see a lot of parent involvement with this school.

Last modified Tierra Antigua Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.