Posted February 09, 2014
This school started out as a wonderful place for life long learning 5 years ago. It soon became the norm to have 3 or 4 teachers that my child had leave during the school year. The school when from having a wonderful headmaster to a terrible principle to another principle who is out to make a name for himself the school is merely a launching pad. He cares very little for the students. The school has a lot of bulling and admin is aware of it but instead of dealing with the students involved the entire school gets reeducated on bulling which does nothing. Not a good school any longer.

Posted January 24, 2014
I'm highly dissatisfied with this school. Let's start at the beginning. My daughter - 6th grade enrolled here. My son - 11th grade enrolled here (IB student) For my son, the 11th grader, school is okay. His IB Classes are highly challenging, making AP classes look like a cake walk! He has watched many of his friends transfer out of this school because of the academic rigor (which is no joke), but my son is very intelligent and despite the extremely challenging classes manages to maintain a B average. He has stated, although the students here are definitely click-ish, he said they are mature and very focused on academics. My daughter on the other hand is miserable here. Being a 6th grader is very challenging here for her. My biggest complaint is the teaching staff, which I would hardly call "teachers," as they haven't earned that title! They are impossible to communicate with, won't respond to letters, emails, or voice mails! They are simply "too busy,"... oh please! The academics are very challenging even in the middle school grades. I'm running out of room so I will just say that don't be surprised if your child is as miserable as mine if you select this school!

Posted January 24, 2014

Cottonwood Classical Prep 3

Posted November 04, 2013
We are in our second year at this school and agree with the following: It is an elitist atmosphere, not all children (nor families) are treated equally, some teachers are great - others brag about their high failure rates, there is very little diversity and it is blatantly obvious. Even though it's a free charter, money is constantly required for projects, books, uniforms, etc. leading to lower class families and minorities not being able to stay at the school. Teachers do not talk with parents (there are no parent conferences because "teachers don't have time"). The only way to communicate is through e-mail and most often teachers do not respond. Overall, we think this school believes they are doing a better job than they are. On the fence about staying. Class sizes have increased as well.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 5

Posted September 16, 2013
Finally, Albuquerque has a true IB prep school that is focused on helping kids find their way in the world, to give back with community service and to become open minded caring individuals. Our boys have experienced bullies at their previous schools, now they feel comfortable and safe in this environment of learning, no bullying or disruptive behaviors so that the teachers can actually spend time teaching and not being constantly distracted.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 2

Posted August 18, 2013
The road to "success" at this school is paved by exclusion of diversity and over exploitation of staff.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 4

Posted August 05, 2013
A lot here to offer the motivated student but CCPS continues to struggle in some areas. Our student completed the IB program, a grueling but comprehensive prep for college. Overall it was a positive experience for our family but we feel lucky. Unfortunately not all diploma candidates went into this spring's exams adequately prepared to pass. Most teachers were wonderful, but we experienced wildly fluctuating administrations/philosophies and extreme teacher turnover. During the critical 2 yr IB (11th-12th grade) program, our student started over with 4 new teachers out of 6 classes. Many teachers left the 1st 2 yrs too, sometimes mid-semester. Now that CCPS has moved to the new campus, hopefully the focus will move from fundraising back to academics. If your student is considering IB, I encourage you to first talk to as many former IB students/parents as you can so you'll know what to expect--it's absolutely not for everyone. I agree that the the social climate at CCPS can be quite insular--unfriendly to some parents and suffocating for students. A peculiar level of attention to things like the draconian dress code was frustrating with more important issues falling by the wayside.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 4

Posted July 24, 2013
While I agree with others that have stated this school is difficult to get involved in as a parent and somewhat clicky with the adults, my son's educational experience overshadows this. He has gotten into trouble in previous years at his elementary school with other students and admin. Here he is excited about learning and is taught that he is responsible for his own education. I appreciate the way that the teachers do not belittle the children but treat them as young adults, which they are. I am very very happy about the education he receives. I do have to say I am disappointed by feeling a lack of community and trying to get involved and feeling like I can't be. Thus the reason for a 9 instead of 10.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 3

Posted April 21, 2013
CCPS offers a very good liberal arts curriculum. If you want anything more than that (computer applications, technology, well-equipped labs, etc.), this is not the place. If your child is an over-achiever or your family can afford to donate mega $, she ll be treated like royalty. If not, she ll still have access to a good education but as a second-class citizen. Teachers are well-qualified. Most are wonderful, but some are clueless when it comes to relating to adolescents. The school seems to be losing sight of its mission and becoming extremely institutionalized. Instead of encouraging children to be individuals, they are forcing them to fit into a very restrictive mold. Students are encouraged (and even threatened) to snitch on their peers, over the smallest infraction. While this may aid the administration in keeping the upper hand, it fosters deep resentments among the students. The administration consists of bullies who have no respect for the students as people (unless they fit the mold). The teacher turnover rate has been alarming. As I said, most are wonderful, but I think they get fed up with the small-minded, elitist, control freaks in the administration.

Cottonwood Classical Prep 5

Posted January 28, 2013
My girls are finishing their second year. Classes are small, teachers care and are engaged. Unlike other schools my children have been in, class time is not wasted on disciplining other children. The girls seem to be challenged but not stressed or overwhelmed.

Cottonwood Classical Prep
7801 Jefferson Street NE, Albuquerque, NM  87109
Last modified Cottonwood Classical Prep is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cottonwood Classical Prep Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews.