Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted September 18, 2015
The school and teachers are excellent, but the school really needs a different Principal. She isn't involved enough, and doesn't seem to have any kind of connection with the children. Distant, cold, rude and self absorbed. The staff take care of any issues parents might have, as Ms Johnson is not approachable.

Sunset View Elementary School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 18, 2015
Ms Thompson, because she is in fact the Principal, at least she does the Principals job for her.

Posted June 15, 2015
As a deaf mom to 3 hearing daughters. My 2 daughters had attended Sunset View Elementary School while my last daughter is still a student at Sunset View Elementary School. I have seen my daughters done a lot of achievements over there plus the teachers and staff in the office have been communicated with me very well. I felt very involved in their activities plus any events. I had no problem with Dr. Johnson, the principal over there and she does say Hi when I walk to drop off my girls off there. My eldest daughter who was attending James Monroe Middle School during that time, she felt welcomed and her former teachers always love see her by saying hi and how are you when we go together to pick up her sisters/my young kids. The teachers and staffs are very excellent over there. Don't let the rating scare you or any negative comments about that. You will know what is best education for your child (children) by seeing your own eyes. There are couple of teachers who can be reserved by telling me that my child is struggling, but I had made sure that I worked with the teacher to make sure that my child has improved academically. I got to know those teachers and we did together to make sure that my daughters has done successfully. It's all about that I was a daughter of a principal at Twinsburg Elementary School in Ohio while I was growing up so I learned to work together with the teachers as well. No matter if you don't like the teacher, staff or principal, then learn to work it together to make it successfully in any schools, not just the specific ones. If your child don't like the school, then it's okay to transfer to other school. Overall, I"m extremely satisfied with Sunset View Elementary School along with the staffs and teachers.

Posted June 18, 2014
I love this school. My son has gone here for two years and so far has had wonderful teachers. He had to switch in the middle of kindergarten from Petroglyph, which we also loved, and were worried he wouldn't like it as much. We thought we had lucked out the first time around, but then he got Ms. Skinner. She is absolutely amazing. He really loved going to school because of her! His next year he got Ms. Garcia, and she was good as well! Her teaching skills were excellent even though sometimes she seemed frazzled. I also have done my field work, I'm at the start of student teaching, and have gotten to work with some great teachers as well. Overall, the teaching in this school is above par. The staff is great and has a wonderful connection with the children. All of the PTA events are well above my expectations. My son actually got to perform at Albuquerque Little Theater last year as part of the school play. I do have to say though, even though I am ALWAYS at the schools I don't really get to see the Principle. She is very inactive and largely I have to talk to Betty in the front office or Ms. Thompson (who might as well be principle) if I need anything.

Posted August 09, 2013
We have had a great experience at Sunset View. The principal is a little abrasive, and doesn't seem very interested in what parents (or teachers for that matter) have to say or their problems and concerns. My kids have had amazing teachers, though! The office staff is friendly and helpful. Parent involvement is high, though it seems to decline significantly once you get to about 3rd grade. My only real complaint is that the school doesn't monitor visitors very well. It's a simple signing of your name in a binder that just sits out in the office and slap a sticker on your shirt and you have free run of the school. I wish they'd at least make you ask for the binder to sign in rather than leave it out; it would be very easy to grab a sticker and not sign in if you were there to cause trouble. Otherwise I've been very happy with the school, with very few exceptions. I'd definitely recommend it.

Sunset View Elementary School 1

Posted July 01, 2012
Not sure what the school is like yet but it looks nice so I'm excited for my daughter to start 1st grade.

Sunset View Elementary School 3

Posted September 14, 2011
This school could be 10x better if they were led by a different principal....Dr. Johnson is terrible at dealing with conflict head on..she screens her calls way too much and takes her time to address issues with parents days later. When scheduling a meeting with her and a teacher she has another teacher represent her. She also backs up her teachers 100% whether they are right or wrong which can be an issue sometimes. The teacher's my child had were great but unfortunately the scholl is being ran by a rude, uppity, non-caring individual.

Posted July 26, 2011
My child's Kindergarten school year was amazing at Sunset View! We loved it! First grade was far less than wonderful...They tend to make a K-1 class if they are over class ratios in the school. Hopefully this will not happen to you. It effected my child negatively emotionally and educationally. The principal, Dr. Johnson, is rude with the children and I have yet to see her talk to them while in the hallways, has only attended one PTA meeting in the 2 years we have been at Sunset View. She sends a teacher (who she appoints as a rep for her) when issues are taking place and a parent requests a meeting with her. Instead of meeting with the principal you meet with a teacher who has no idea what is going on. We were Very disappointed with the principals dismissive behavior! We are very excited for what second grade holds for our child!

Posted September 08, 2010
My daughter attended Sunset View last year. She had an excellent fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Alecksen. The teachers are very involved and they care about their children.

Sunset View Elementary School
6100 Paradise View NW, Albuquerque, NM  87114
Last modified Sunset View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.