Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted January 05, 2016
Grade levels vary in the amount of homework given; for the most part, it has been appropriate.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted January 05, 2016
Respect is developed in its students. Expectations are high and HAW staff does a great job in this area.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
HAW is a small, family oriented community. The school demonstrates compassion, caring and empathy by bringing the staff, students and families together to help and support those who are in need. Some examples include food drives, donations to Carrie Tingly Hospital, Giving Tree (for families at the school who are in need during Christmas), fundraisers/donations to support families within HAW and those out in the community and much more.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
I feel that the teachers at HAW develop honesty, integrity and fairness in its students by their examples and teachings. They are consistent and hold high expectations.

Posted January 05, 2016
Our daughters have attended HAW throughout their preschool and elementary years. Our experience with HAW staff has been very positive and they (teachers and staff) truly have our kids' best interests at heart. In addition, our daughters have thrived academically and are performing above their grade levels in reading, writing and math. We were thrilled when our oldest transitioned to middle school with above-average academic performance across all academic areas. Socially, the school holds many family functions that brings our community together. Love, Love, Love Horizon Academy West!

Posted May 09, 2012
Best school I have ever been associated with. Teachers are extremely professional and willing to work with parents. Administration works well and listen to parents, staff and students.All staff are interested in doing whatever is practical that will help the child. They do have rather strict rules pertaining to attendence, and parents should realize that in order for students to do their best, good habits must be learned and punctuality is part of learning. Serious discipline problems are rare and students enjoy knowing where consistant disciplinary boundaries stand. Overall great school with great teachers, attentive administration and wonderful warm learning environment, what else could any parent wish for?

Posted April 15, 2012
haw is a great school your kids dont just get in trouble they have to be doing something bad i am a current student there and it amazing if you want to send your child to go to a good school go to haw is it is strict but it is good all lose comments are not true the staff are amazing

Horizon Academy West 1

Posted December 08, 2011
I have been unsatisfied with HAW's OVERLY STRICT RULES regarding tardiness. I do not agree with the miscommunication I have been given by my child's teacher and other staff. I was misinformed twice, what times to bring my child to class and in result, my child has been counted as tardy for those two times, and no leniency was given to my child for mistakes on staff's part. I believe the staff does not take time to listen to parents and takes no responsibility for miscommunication to parents, which I believe would be more professional. In addition, I feel the consequences for tardiness are too strict and should only be applied to student's who miss 5 or more COMPLETE DAYS of school without written excuse. I was very excited to bring my son to school and expected it to be more of a fun learning experience for my 5 year old. However, I now feel like he is instead treated as if he is attending college and punished for something he has nothing to do with. If my son were to be tardy 5 more days and taken from recess, I believe he would be completely confused, wondering in his 5 year old mind, why he is getting in trouble for something HE DID NOT DO!

Posted August 16, 2011
I sent my twin daughters to HAW for 6th grade to avoid the huge local middle school (LBJ). They had a wonderful experience (how many of us can say that about 6th grade?) Both 6th grade classes are taught by strong, intelligent MEN. Just what 6th grade boys need to relate and tow the line. I am so glad they went there-now they are much more prepared for middle school.

Horizon Academy West 1

Posted April 12, 2011
I have never encountered such an awful experience as I did with the staff at Horizon Academy. After reading the reviews and speaking with other parents I decided to listen to the positive rather than the negative. I truly believe I made the biggest mistake ever by putting my child there! From the very first day I entered the building I received bad if any customer service from the secretaries. Not only are the policies and procedures ridiculous but my child and I were harassed on a weekly basis by the staff. Dropping your child off in the morning is absolutely insane because there is nobody directing traffic. I brought this concern up several times worried that someone would get hurt, and nothing was ever done! The staff closes the gates at 7:45am, if you are dropping off your child at that time the staff member will literally close the door on your child s face. If your child attends the after school program, finding your child at the end of the day is infuriating like playing cat and mouse. The so call professionals of the school have no people skills! Ultimately, my child and I are extremely excited to move forward and leave this experience far behind us!

1900 Atrisco Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM  87120
Last modified Horizon Academy West is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.