PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

As a private school, this school does not specify a program for SPED.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Poor vision and tight-lipped, closed door decision making.

Develops character: Agree

The school's strongest asset is a focus on student character. Unfortunately this is hampered by lack of administrative leadership.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

A few of them are. A few of them are not. There is little supervision to ensure.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Two days a week are home-schooled. Homework is done at this time.

OG is not a classical school, unfortunately. They are a part of the more modern "Christian Classical" movement and subscribe to the pseudo-classical approach embraced by the Circe institute which is really a repackaging of more novel educational theory. To be more specific, the elementary level education is decent, but the approach is not unified from teacher to teacher and the breakdown is that the early-years students are not taught the classical way. Much reliance on home training lacks expert supervision that would guarantee a classical approach. As students graduate into higher grades, the disparity between teaching approaches becomes more prominent. By the end of middle school (logic school), the students are presented in a diverse manner. This school focuses on language to the detriment of numeracy and scientific literacy. The school is bereft of technical training. There is high teacher and administrator turnover. Individually the teachers and administrators care, but I believe they are subject to a misguided vision passed on by either the board or poor leadership. The Bible education is minimal when compared to that of other schools. The home-schooling parent would be better off staying at home or finding a co-op. The parent in search of a school experience would be as well off going to public school. As of this writing, only a few of their best teachers still remain.

We have had our children enrolled at OG for 4 years and love the school. My oldest son (just finished 3rd grade) learned to write papers last year and LOVES writing... I am convinced that this is because of the classical methods used and challenging, yet interesting topics/literature that they read and write about. The teachers hold a standard and give the kids the tools needed to thrive at that standard. The students come through as confident writers/presenters, competent readers of classical works, knowing history timelines, high standards for math, grammar & science, etc, etc... All with a Christian Worldview.

I love Oak Grove. Today my son said to my husband and I, "I like going to school." That brought joy to my heart. I love knowing he is learning from godly teachers and is being shaped to know and defend what he believes. The model for this school brings a joy to learning. We love participating in teaching our son and look forward to our daughter starting there next year!

We have three kids in the school and have nothing but amazing things to say. The teaching staff and curriculum are incredible in challenging our kids daily. I am amazed at what my 2nd grader is able to do! We are ecstatic that we are not having to choose between a Christ-centered education and a rigorous one.

The best Classical school, without exception. I have tried numerous others schools, including homeschooling and family school, for my children. I can finally say that I have found our home. Oak Grove is truly the best of both worlds, combining Christian and Classical teachings, with the right amount of parental involvement. I don't know what axe the previous parent had to grind in saying this is "not a classical school by any measure." I question if they even know what Classical truly is because that statement couldn't be further from the truth. I would venture to say the opposite is true in that Oak Grove is the most Classical school I have found. Oak Grove takes great care and concern in educating parents like me as to what Classical is (and is not). I have learned so much since starting Oak Grove. The curriculum is exceptional and rigorous. It's clear their curriculum is carefully examined to meet high standards for Classical rigor. I love how it challenges my children everyday in ways I never would have thought. My kids absolutely love this school and enjoy their teachers. Take it from someone who's actually in the school, you will not find a better Classical school.

Last modified Oak Grove Classical Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8