Albuquerque, NM
After care: No

Posted November 05, 2013
I love Oak Grove. Today my son said to my husband and I, "I like going to school." That brought joy to my heart. I love knowing he is learning from godly teachers and is being shaped to know and defend what he believes. The model for this school brings a joy to learning. We love participating in teaching our son and look forward to our daughter starting there next year!

Posted October 10, 2013
We have three kids in the school and have nothing but amazing things to say. The teaching staff and curriculum are incredible in challenging our kids daily. I am amazed at what my 2nd grader is able to do! We are ecstatic that we are not having to choose between a Christ-centered education and a rigorous one.

Posted October 10, 2013
The best Classical school, without exception. I have tried numerous others schools, including homeschooling and family school, for my children. I can finally say that I have found our home. Oak Grove is truly the best of both worlds, combining Christian and Classical teachings, with the right amount of parental involvement. I don't know what axe the previous parent had to grind in saying this is "not a classical school by any measure." I question if they even know what Classical truly is because that statement couldn't be further from the truth. I would venture to say the opposite is true in that Oak Grove is the most Classical school I have found. Oak Grove takes great care and concern in educating parents like me as to what Classical is (and is not). I have learned so much since starting Oak Grove. The curriculum is exceptional and rigorous. It's clear their curriculum is carefully examined to meet high standards for Classical rigor. I love how it challenges my children everyday in ways I never would have thought. My kids absolutely love this school and enjoy their teachers. Take it from someone who's actually in the school, you will not find a better Classical school.

Posted October 10, 2013
I came here to leave a great review for my school, because it deserves one. But I find myself wanting to defend it from the one star review left by a "parent". I find it hard to believe that person ever actually attended the school since their comments are, as they say, a "smoke screen". I've been a part of Oak Grove from year one, and currently have three kids in the school. Nothing in that poor review has any truth to it (other than the math curriculum). Math has changed three times in six years (not five), and for good reason someone who attended the school would be privy to. I absolutely love the school's Classical curriculum, and find it challenging on every level. It is a joy to see my kids love school, and I couldn't be happier with the progress they have made at Oak Grove. This school rivals any other perceived "rigorous" school like the Academy. But surpasses them, in my opinion, due to the rigor combined with a Classical, Christian education. This school is preparing my kids in ways I only wish I had at their age. I love this school, and you will to. Take it from an actual parent, and the many others who would agree.

Oak Grove Classical Academy 1

Posted October 08, 2013
This is currently not a classical school by any measure. 10 nearly identical reviews love it but you can get a comparable education with similarly vague expectations at Fam. school. At least it is free with mixed-age classes allowing advanced children to work at their level without being stifled by inactivity. Oak uses contemporary curricula, and books published mostly in the last 50 years. It's changed math curricula 3 times in 5 years and has a hard time sticking with any. It is a school designed for and by a tightly knit core of families with a Presbyterian outlook, with a token number of other Christians thrown in so they can claim a "broad family base". There is a long, time-consuming and misleading acceptance process reminiscent of initiation, as if to instill a feeling you get prestige by being accepted there after all the pain you're put through. This initiation process offers no concrete information, just the smoke screen that you can read on their site, which has very little to do with what you should actually be expecting. Basically they give a lot of empty promises in the beginning. It does have the potential to be a great school, if they change a few things.

Posted September 27, 2013
Why anybody would put their kids in any school other than Oak Grove is beyond me. I have been a part of Oak Grove from the day they opened their doors, and I wouldn't even think about working for or sending my kids to any other school in Albuquerque. Other schools may be Christian, or classical, or "rigorous", or parent "friendly". But absolutely none of them combine all these elements. It is the only school that I've found that offers all these components, and they do a great job of balancing them. In a time of short attention spans and electronic overload, Oak Grove is "swimming against the current" by teaching students how to think, not what to think. The things I see my kids learning, and the things I see teachers teaching...I can only say how much I wish I had this when I was their age. It is the education I never had, and my kids are going to be so much further along then I was at their age due to what they're being taught, and how they're being taught.

Posted September 26, 2013
Oak Grove is awesome! It combines the best of both worlds when it comes to education! The benefits of having intimate/personalized teaching done by a parent on home days as well as the social aspect and classroom experience of a school, not to mention the classical education that is proven and priceless!!!

Posted September 25, 2013
We have been so incredibly fortunate to have our children enrolled at Oak Grove Classical. I truly believe that it is the best elementary and middle school in all of Albuquerque if you are looking for a school where excellent academics and character-building are top priorities. We have three students currently attending Oak Grove and we have been pleased at every level- preK, elementary and middle school. The teachers truly care about the students on every level- personally, academically and spiritually. The other families are supportive and there is a great sense of community. The balance between time at home learning with parents and the time spent learning in a more traditional classroom setting has been wonderful. I cannot recommend this school highly enough!

Posted September 25, 2013
Two of our children currently attend Oak Grove. It is, hands down, the best school I have ever encountered as a student, teacher, or parent. The curriculum is classical, which is really just another way of saying truly developmentally appropriate, and with the goal of forming good men and women who are well-spoken. Oak Grove is not a Christian "bubble," and difficult topics are tackled head on with a Christian worldview. As a university model school, it strikes the perfect balance between parental responsibility and professional guidance. I cannot imagine sending my children to any other school, and that includes full time homeschooling.

Posted September 25, 2013
Oak Grove is a perfect combination of homeschool and classical private education. The teachers do an excellent job creating the lesson plans, challenging the students and being a wonderful resource to the parent co-teachers. I look forward to many years of watching our sons develop a love of learning!

Oak Grove Classical Academy
4001 Osuna Rd NE, Albuquerque, NM  87109
Last modified Oak Grove Classical Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Oak Grove Classical Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top