Posted July 17, 2013
My kids did fabulous at Petroglyph! You always have a teacher that maybe only fits the bill marginally but saying that I thought overall being involved for 8 years in the classroom and PTA ...I would rate it stellar for a public school. All but one teacher really worked with my kids and me.

Posted August 04, 2011
I miss Petroglyph more than you could know. There were such bright, caring teachers there and I still smile, remembering those beautiful children. I enjoyed my time there tremendously and save memories of the learning we did together fondly. I wonder if it's time to paint paw prints in the walkways again? Hugs, Petro -

Posted May 26, 2011
I did not care for my child's teacher this year. She said if I had any concerns to address them with her and when I did, she made me feel like I was overreacting. Considering how most parents feel about bullying, I don't think I was overreacting when my son came home with marks on his arms when another student grabbed him and dug their nails in his skin. I also noticed he didn't want to go to school and felt the teacher singled him out at times. As for the principal/assistant principal go, I have noticed they are more chatty with parents they already know and barely acknowledge others if at all (me included).

Petroglyph Elementary School 3

Posted April 07, 2011
I'm glad that some parents do have positive experiences with this school, but I am not so lucky. First of all, yes the principal is not as friendly as principals of my children's previous schools. If and when she does wave, it's done with a straight face and so quick that by the time I get my hand up to wave back she's already looking away. One of the two ladies that answer the office phones has been really rude and sarcastic to me on two occassions I really try and avoid calling or going into the office at this point. Lastly, according to my kids their teachers are "okay", but they do not making learning fun nor are my kids as excited to go to school as they have been at their other schools. I am hoping next year is better.

Posted March 31, 2011
Comparing Petroglyph to other schools, including the ones situated in other states, the atmosphere, safety and operation of the school is conducted professionally. I believe (all schools) should follow the example of Petroglyph, by teaching our children(s) to become a decent and well respected individuals when they become an adult. I thank you for supporting my children the time they attended the school there.

Posted January 12, 2011
Excellent school in almost every way! Teachers highly effective, qualified, and caring, and the principal, while occasionally more "businesslike" than some parents would like, does have children's best interest at heart and has managed to HELP Petroglyph become one of only 15 out of 120+ schools in APS to make AYP. Great family-oriented school.

Petroglyph Elementary School 4

Posted January 03, 2011
My husband and I have had a very positive experience with both teachers, principal, and vice principal. Our son was being picked on in Kindergarten and his teacher, principal, and vice principal took it very seriously. They kept us informed, took care of the behavioral issues, and took it seriously. We would have taken our son and future children out of this school if it weren't for all of their professionalism and follow through. We are thrilled with the school and look forward to our 2 next youngest attending there as well.

Petroglyph Elementary School 4

Posted September 01, 2010
The staff is very good and is very highly qualified over 80% with masters degrees, over 26 nationally board ceritifed. The principal lacks experience and sensitivity with childeren and I think part of that is not being a parent herself. It is unfortunate to see the staff have to work around her instead of with her.

Posted August 04, 2010
How is it possible that an administrator with such obvious contempt for young children, especially those with special needs, is promoted from Assistant Principal to Principal? Petroglyph Elementary's young and inexperienced Principal is dishonest and disrespectful to students, parents and teachers alike. As a current member of the Petroglyph PTA, I have witnessed her categorically undermine the concept of public service and the institution of the public school system - she runs the school like a dictator - it is "her school" (yes, she said that) and every decision is hers to make, without any consideration towards the best interest of her students. APS should be embarrassed and held accountable for the damage she has caused.

Posted August 02, 2010
This school is not what it used to be. When the Assistant Principal took over after the Principal retired last year, she threw away all that was good. The new principal is extremely inexperienced, has absolutely NO control over her staff and is very dishonest with parents. I have never seen a staff allowed to behave as unprofessionally as the ones at Petroglyph. It is truly disappointing. We had to remove our children from this school as a result of the verbal abuse our child was forced to endure, while the Principal turned a blind eye. Parents beware - if you have a child with any kind of special needs find another school for your child.

Petroglyph Elementary School
5100 Marna Lynn NW, Albuquerque, NM  87114
Last modified Petroglyph Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Petroglyph Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top