Bad
Good

Comanche Elementary School 2

Posted May 13, 2014
I find the glowing reviews written April 21, 2011 - April 23, 2011 to be very fishy. Let me tell you how it is. The school is ok. There are many phenomenal teachers at Comanche, and there are some fair teachers. The principal, however, leaves very much to be desired. The principal is the worst part of the school, and really brings the school down. She has driven away some great teachers. The school is at risk of not having a PTA next year because no one wants to work with the principal. APS should take action. It speaks poorly of APS that they leave such an incompetent leader in this school. LOVE the teaching staff though! I would give the school 4 stars if it had competent leadership.

Comanche Elementary School 2

Posted October 22, 2012
Generally speaking I have no complaints with the teaching staff. They all seem kind and caring. My son has done well at the school. Teachers seem to work well together. I am amused by an earlier comment. I am fortunate to be able to take my son to school and pick him up everyday for the past 2 years. I'm not sure what obligations a principal has out of the campus confines, but I have noticed that the principal's designated parking spot is rarely occupied on Friday afternoons. In two years of coming and going I have rarely seen the principal. I can comment on the interactions I have had with other parents - this prinicpal is the weak link in the school. She has very poor communication skills, my son says she never comes into his classroom... I am thankful for the teachers. I know most of the teachers (who have never taught my son) far better than the absentee principal. Thak goodness the principal stays out of the classroom.

Comanche Elementary School 4

Posted July 09, 2012
Proud parent of Comanche Elementary students. The principal and teachers really care about their students' education and safety.

Comanche Elementary School 3

Posted November 14, 2011
I enjoyed reading the comments from all of the staff, but that really is not appropriate. That said, I must compliment the teaching staff at Comanche. I think they are fantastic. The PTA is great as well. The Principal is HORRENDOUS. She does not take the time to learn the names of the children. I pick my child up after school everyday, and it has become a joke that I stop by the office on my way in and ask if Mrs. Highland is in -- she never is. It is really sad that the parking spot reserved for the principal is always vacant!! I wonder if APS is aware of this absentee Principal? To sum it up: Fantastic Teachers!! The Principal is a joke.

Comanche Elementary School 4

Posted September 28, 2011
Both of my children Comanche ES. The vast majority of the teachers are excellent. The administration can be difficult to understand...and communication between the adminstration and parents is lacking skill. However we have very low teacher turn-over so something must be right with the administrations approach. I know my children are safe, and Comanche teachers take a personal interest in the children. My children are known by first name by the majority of the staff. I believe the administrative problems to be more endemic of APS than Comanche specific.

Posted April 23, 2011
In my experience as a staff member at Comanche, Mrs. Highland is a very professional principal who always concerns herself with the needs of the children, staff and families. She is fair and nonjudgemental in all aspects of her job.

Posted April 22, 2011
My family has been at Comanche for a number of years and I have found it to be a welcoming, professional place for both children and families. Mrs. Highland has always invited parents to be a part of the decision making process and she has been accessible whenever I had questions or concerns. I always recommend our school to any parent who asks me. The teachers I know are excellent educators with my child's best interests at heart.

Posted April 21, 2011
As a parent of two children who have and do attend Comanche, I have to comment here. The previous comment is completely fictitious, anyone who knows the Principal and staff at Comanche knows that Children come first. The staff turnover is extremely limited, usually to retirement and or cuts, and is very small. The Principal is caring to ALL families, and is very involved with the children and treats them all with kindness and fairness and encourages and helps them all to succeed. Congratulations Comanche Principal and Staff - I would recommend you to any and all my friends and family. Thank you for al you do.

Posted April 21, 2011
Comanche is an extremely well run school. With caring and well qualified staff who work hard each and every day with a good attitude. We are a community within and of a community that surrounds us thanks to an amazing Principal who cares enough to make a difference. I would recommend this school to any family that wants to belong to a school that cares. Come join us. :)

Posted April 21, 2011
My experience with Mrs. Highland is just the opposite of the previous reviewer. I have found her to be extremely professional, enforcing the rules evenly and fairly. Everything she does is with the best interest of the children in mind. Maybe some parents don't always understand all the reasons for the rules, but I feel they are there for the good of the kids. I have found her to be very approachable and she always listens to my concerns. Teacher turnover happens for various reasons, many unrelated to the principal. The turnover at Comanche has not been because of Mrs. Highland. I think the teachers and parents are very happy with her and the school.

Comanche Elementary School
3505 Pennsylvania NE, Albuquerque, NM  87110
Last modified Comanche Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.