Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Griegos is a great school!! It has been through some changes but has remained strong in community and academic success!! It is full of amazing students, parents and teachers. Of course there are small things that could be improved upon, as with any school. But Griegos never fails at providing a great education and a stable supportive environment for our children. My children are thriving! Thank you Griegos!

I've had my kids in this school for almost 10 years and back then it was great, the principal Mr. Graham was awesome, the kids where respectful, great grades, and all the staff was so good, they motivated all the kids they were working hard and the kids and parents were so involved in their classrooms, but after a few years they changed their principal, and the situation was from bad to worse, all the greatest teachers start to retired, quit, move to schools that appreciated their effort, as now probably just 2-3 teachers plus a few more that are working there are still keeping our kids safe and happy, academically is not good anymore, the behavior is bad now. I wish this school redirect now with the new principal that just start this year and become again The Mustangs with the motto "do the right thing at the right time" like when Griegos elementary was named a Blue Ribbon School!!! Hope some day get back to that!

My daughter went this year for kinder and it was great. The teacher provided constant structure and discipline. My daughter has excelled, and is constantly doing fun things in the classroom. It seems as though your always being asked for something because the class is always doing amazing projects. We left a Montessori and have had much better results.

The teachers are awesome and really care about the students, but some have left due to new, unreasonable testing requirements from the NM State Dept. of Education. Classroom sizes for some grades had become too large, but a recent, late effort has resulted in a new 4th grade teacher position (now it just needs to be filled). Griegos has a history of great academic and extracurricular achievement, which is notable for a Title I school. Over the past two years, the administration attempted to micro-manage and usurp the PTOs authority, but this situation has improved with new leadership. Parent involvement had decreased in part because the principal was not easily accessible. Parents who volunteer their time and effort are sometimes taken for granted with little or no acknowledgement. Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) needs to take a good, hard look at this well-rated school, its classroom sizes and its administration if it wants to see continued academic success at this US Dept. of Education Blue Ribbon Award-winning school.

My son who is currently in 7th grade had an awesome experience while attending Griegos for all of his elementary education. The principle at that time cared so much for each and every child attending that he knew them all by name. My daughter currently attends Griegos but will be transitioning to middle school next year. I have to say that the past two years do not resemble the previous at all. There are so many teachers that were there so long that retired. The current principle will walk right by you without saying a word. Its hard to believe how things changed so quickly from a blue ribbon school to a average school. I can see the writing on the wall and am glad that my kids are about finished .I hope that it improves though because my 4 year old will be going to kinder soon!

I really used to love the school. Over the last 2 years I have seen nothing but chaos and disorganization. I feel the school has lost the overall feeling it used to have. I think I will be glad when my kid is out of there. I think the lack of leadership is showing and this school is headed down, way down!! To many "personal" hires, to many teachers that were great leaving. Just today punishment for dropping a ball in PE was 25 push ups? Really? Punished for dropping a ball. This school needs to get back on track. The kids have 1 recess, which 15 minutes of it they are required to walk. When do they have time to be kids. Lunch time is short enough. Activities one the playground are limited...girls can't make bracelets? Really, where is there harm? The homework can take sometimes hours to finish and the kids are exhausted. In talking with some of the other people that have dealt with the schools, 10 minutes per grade was sufficient. You already make them learn above their grade level. Although it was once a top ranked school I don't see it anymore. I see nothing of what this school used to be. So glad it's almost over!

This has been a really top notch school with truly amazing teachers. Some of the teachers have been leaving and I only hope that it can continue it tradition of excellence.

Griegos has been such a wonderful experience for our family. This is a top-ranked school, last year it was the best school in the state, serving generations of families in a lovely community. The teachers are all outstanding in every way. They give their all each day to make sure kids actively learn in a safe environment. May the school continue to set the high bar for rigor. Griegos proves that every child has the potential to soar. We will miss Griegos very much, but take with us the spirit of 'doing the right thing at the right time' always. Thank you teachers and staff, you are the best!!!

This school is a great school. The new principal is ethical and follows the rules. She is visible and goes out of her way to meet with parents. It is evident that she puts children first and creates an environment with the belief that every child can learn.

I have been very dissatisfied by the lack of leadership and communication shown by the new principal in this school. I am just grateful that my children only have a very short time left there. I am saddened for the community because I believe this school is now on it's way down.

Last modified Griegos Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.