Griegos Elementary School 4

Posted September 12, 2014
The teachers are awesome and really care about the students, but some have left due to new, unreasonable testing requirements from the NM State Dept. of Education. Classroom sizes for some grades had become too large, but a recent, late effort has resulted in a new 4th grade teacher position (now it just needs to be filled). Griegos has a history of great academic and extracurricular achievement, which is notable for a Title I school. Over the past two years, the administration attempted to micro-manage and usurp the PTOs authority, but this situation has improved with new leadership. Parent involvement had decreased in part because the principal was not easily accessible. Parents who volunteer their time and effort are sometimes taken for granted with little or no acknowledgement. Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) needs to take a good, hard look at this well-rated school, its classroom sizes and its administration if it wants to see continued academic success at this US Dept. of Education Blue Ribbon Award-winning school.

Griegos Elementary School 3

Posted March 01, 2014
My son who is currently in 7th grade had an awesome experience while attending Griegos for all of his elementary education. The principle at that time cared so much for each and every child attending that he knew them all by name. My daughter currently attends Griegos but will be transitioning to middle school next year. I have to say that the past two years do not resemble the previous at all. There are so many teachers that were there so long that retired. The current principle will walk right by you without saying a word. Its hard to believe how things changed so quickly from a blue ribbon school to a average school. I can see the writing on the wall and am glad that my kids are about finished .I hope that it improves though because my 4 year old will be going to kinder soon!

Griegos Elementary School 2

Posted February 28, 2014
I really used to love the school. Over the last 2 years I have seen nothing but chaos and disorganization. I feel the school has lost the overall feeling it used to have. I think I will be glad when my kid is out of there. I think the lack of leadership is showing and this school is headed down, way down!! To many "personal" hires, to many teachers that were great leaving. Just today punishment for dropping a ball in PE was 25 push ups? Really? Punished for dropping a ball. This school needs to get back on track. The kids have 1 recess, which 15 minutes of it they are required to walk. When do they have time to be kids. Lunch time is short enough. Activities one the playground are limited...girls can't make bracelets? Really, where is there harm? The homework can take sometimes hours to finish and the kids are exhausted. In talking with some of the other people that have dealt with the schools, 10 minutes per grade was sufficient. You already make them learn above their grade level. Although it was once a top ranked school I don't see it anymore. I see nothing of what this school used to be. So glad it's almost over!

Griegos Elementary School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
This has been a really top notch school with truly amazing teachers. Some of the teachers have been leaving and I only hope that it can continue it tradition of excellence.

Posted May 21, 2013
Griegos has been such a wonderful experience for our family. This is a top-ranked school, last year it was the best school in the state, serving generations of families in a lovely community. The teachers are all outstanding in every way. They give their all each day to make sure kids actively learn in a safe environment. May the school continue to set the high bar for rigor. Griegos proves that every child has the potential to soar. We will miss Griegos very much, but take with us the spirit of 'doing the right thing at the right time' always. Thank you teachers and staff, you are the best!!!

Posted April 15, 2013
This school is a great school. The new principal is ethical and follows the rules. She is visible and goes out of her way to meet with parents. It is evident that she puts children first and creates an environment with the belief that every child can learn.

Griegos Elementary School 3

Posted April 08, 2013
I have been very dissatisfied by the lack of leadership and communication shown by the new principal in this school. I am just grateful that my children only have a very short time left there. I am saddened for the community because I believe this school is now on it's way down.

Posted April 23, 2010
An outstanding faculty & administration along with parent support create a top notch education environment for excited and willing students

Griegos Elementary School 0

Posted April 23, 2010
Griegos has been a great experience. I have 2 kids there and they both have had great experiences EVERY year. This school is full of dedicated teachers and staff. Most importantly, Griegos expects everyone (teachers, students and parents) to AIM HIGH! The expectations are high and it shows in the results. We considered private school and are very happy we chose Griegos.

Posted April 22, 2010
Creative approaches to teaching and training which are seemingingly impossible since so many of its children live in poverty. They often do not have materials and electronics in the home that average families provide their children. They deserve more!

Griegos Elementary School
4040 San Isidro NW, Albuquerque, NM  87107
Last modified Griegos Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Griegos Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top