Albuquerque, NM
Students enrolled: 1,634

Highland High School 4

Posted February 14, 2015
For the 2014-15 term, Highland got a new principal. He is incredibly driven and strives to make connections with students, supporting them however possible. His enthusiasm is contagious, and he makes it clear he truly cares about students. While there are surely some teachers who are lacking that same enthusiasm, there are some stellar teachers who work endlessly to educate their students. Highland presents a welcoming environment, filled with diversity. I was hesitant to start attending the school last year, having heard about a negative reputation. I was pleasantly surprised. As a sophomore moving into my second semester, I am faced with nothing but future opportunities, encouragement, and guidance as I move forward. Thank you, Highland, for letting me grow as a person.

Highland High School 2

Posted June 12, 2012
A few years ago, Highland's fantastic principal was replaced by a lackluster, obtuse individual with deficient leadership skills. Because of this, several staff members left Highland. Very few stellar teachers remain. The gifted program has suffered and the We The People program (where Highland participant's excelled nationally) is no longer. I am disappointed and concerned for my child's educational future. His experience has been negative thus far --in fact he'll need to repeat a class due to the poor/lack of instruction. How disheartening! Our neighborhood school is a disservice to our neighborhood.

Highland High School 4

Posted June 20, 2011
We had two students attend and graduate from Highland. Both were in the gifted program, both took honors and AP classes, and both played Varsity sports. Both went onto college out of state and have adjusted well to the demands of college by making the Dean's list. Highland had a very dynamic female principal for the past 5 years that was replaced last school year (2011) by a very inexperienced individual. I don't know much about this principal but we are still strong supporters of Highland and encourage parents of gifted and honors students send their children to this school. Its diversity prepares students for college and there are many quality teachers at this school. We the People is the best program in the state and Highland's team is one of the best in the nation. If your child is a follower and lacks drive and determiniaton, I would not send him/her to any public school. Highland is a good school for the serious student and I would recommend it for those students planning on attending college in a big city with a diverse student body.

Highland High School 1

Posted February 24, 2011
Would NOT recommend this school if any student may be attending a DODD school afterwards!!! I have two kids that went there (one of which graduated from there). My one kid who went there but not graduated from there, went on to a DODD school and the first year with the DODD school, my kid struggled. My kid will graduate from the DODD school this year but to no thanks from Highland. Highland is not up with the standards and preparing these kids. The are behind and if I believe right, is not even accredited.

Posted April 28, 2008
I love this school! It is so diverse and it really shows other students that there are different people out there. It keeps the students from being so sheltered like other schools in the area. It is rather unfortunate that the media these days has been showing Highland as a bad school. Actually, I'm really glad that I came here. Everyone is so welcoming and the teachers are excellent. The campus is nice because it is so large and it is very traditional. Although there are some bad aspects of this school, who's to say that all the other schools don't have bad aspects? If you look closely, each school does. It just happens to be that the media shows Highland as one of the worse schools.

Highland High School

Posted April 21, 2008
I had two children graduate from Highland and they both are attending private colleges on scholarships. Their professors comment on the quality of their work. Highland's German teacher is excellent! Both of my children are fluent in German and skipped the 1st 2 semesters of college german. g

Posted November 29, 2007
this school is so diverse and has so many great kids. I am very sad that the news and many other people are giving it a horrible reputation.

Posted January 29, 2007
Highland teachers are exceptional. Period.

Highland High School
4700 Coal Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM  87108
Last modified Highland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top