Posted August 08, 2014
Started off great. When my daughter approached 7th grade, girl we're trying to jump her for no reason. The faculty there did nothing to stop the bullying and prevent it. We had to switch schools. One of teachers kept calling names such as stupid, and pathetic. Two years later my son started there. when 7th grade started, same problem occurred. The faculty did nothing to help or stop. The principal was very rude as long as the other teachers and counslers talked to me like I was stupid. I was constantly down in the office. Some teachers there are great, but others don't take interest in the students. The front office, counslers, and principals are very unfreindly. I don't recommend this school.

L B Johnson Middle School 5

Posted September 26, 2013
While the school is large, I have found the teachers,staff & volunteers to be dedicated, helpful workers. They are challenging my son (6th grade) with his schoolwork, and I beleive they are putting forth their best efforts for their students.

Posted September 10, 2013
I appreciate now that my child is in 8th grade, I see an increased focus on preparation and expectations for high school. There is additionally an impetus of encouraging students to become more responsible and accountable. So important this day and age as so many parents do not oversee and encourage their children.

L B Johnson Middle School 3

Posted February 24, 2013
My child is in special ed and the teachers seem to be good but the assistant principal for special ed Jennifer Montano does not care about the children, if you give her complaints she will never follow up. If you tell her something about your child for example....you feel your child is not in the right placement or class she will always fight you back and have something to say against you as if she knows your child better than you. She has a really bad attitude and does not like to be bothered with parents. When you complain to the principal he refers you back to her he is lazy and doesn't do anything.

Posted December 21, 2012
my daughter attended this school in 7th grade and first semester of 8th grade. this school does not put up with misbehavior from students and all rules and especially the dress code were strictly enforced. teachers are in halls between classes monitoring what is going on. i also volunteered at the front desk so i witnessed parents being called continuosly for misconduct. it is a safe environment and they are 100% anti bullying---if you have a disruptive rule breaker type child they will not make it at this school...

Posted August 11, 2012
RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS! I had a huge problem last year while my child was in 7th gr. While learning that my child missed class, I was told by the art teacher how my child explained to her the reason she was gone was due to being hurt on the foot she had foot surgery on a week before. The teacher questioned me. I confirmed my child DID have foot surgery. I asked the teacher if she had offered my child an opportunity to go to the nurse's office to be checked. She argued with me. I asked her again, "Did you offer my child a chance to go to the nurse?" She argued more. She began yelling. I requested the principal's contact information from her. The teacher then pulled an UNBELIEVABLE stunt. She started screaming, "I wont be talked to this way, I wont' be abused!" At the time of that conversation I had lost my voice and could not speak normally. I had to whisper. I could NOT yell and never did, nor would I. It became very clear that the Art teacher was crying wolf; acting like a "victim". When the fact was she began yelling the moment I requested to talk to her supervisor. How sickening, appalling and UNETHICAL!!. I will never trust the administrators of this school!

Posted November 02, 2011
This school is terrible. I began seeing problems from day one. I was informed this school does not accept failure but my son consistently failed every subject he needed to be placed in special education they did not do not anything to assess him until the week before he got out of 8th grade. I even volunteered at the school on a regular basis. There was no communication. Now my daughter who is in 8th is having problems and the school is not addressing this correctly. She is being bullied in the classroom with the teacher present, and the couselors state that there is nothing they can do. The only thing going for this school is parent volunteers.

Posted March 30, 2011
My daughter is an 8th grader this year and we have been very happy with our three years at LBJ. We have had some issues with bullying, but after speaking with the teachers and also the administration, in some cases, it has been taken care of. It is very important that parents be involved in their children's school as much as possible. The parents who are involved are generally happier than the parents who leave everything up to the school. I have and would recommend LBJ.

Posted March 07, 2011
The highlight of this school is the music program. Both the orchestra and band teachers are outstanding. My son attended 6-8th grade and was in the 'gifted' program. During his 6th grade year, the gifted program included science and math. Mid-year 2008, the one gifted teacher that my son liked transferred to another school. They were only able to fill the position with teachers with English, literature, and social studies qualifications, so those were the only 'gifted' classes offered. I discussed this with the gifted program coordinator, but she basically said that is just the way it is. I thought that it was a terrible waste of instruction time, since there are many more interesting teaching opportunities in science and technology fields; compared to decomposing sentence structures and studying literature themes and plot techniques. Otherwise, the AP courses were OK, and overall my son had a reasonably good experience at the school.

Posted February 27, 2011
My son is special needs and gifted and just started school here for 6th grade. I have found the teachers very helpful and willing to work with my child. I especially appreciate the PE program which has accommodated my son and his needs. I also appreciate that they have started some new programs for these children this year. The nurse is great and very understanding with the children. I also like the anti-bullying program they have in place and that they segregate the 6th 7th and 8th graders. The only complaints I have are with the special ed program. Since my son's class is brand new there are some growing pains, but especially problematic is that the head of the special ed dept seems to be overworked and overwhelmed. This is more due to having enough people to do the work as opposed to the teachers and staff from trying to do their best for the school. Hopefully this will improve

L B Johnson Middle School
6811 Taylor Ranch NW, Albuquerque, NM  87120
Last modified L B Johnson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
L B Johnson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top