Bad
Good

It is appalling and baffling how these folks find a legal way to violate Section 504 and get away with it. Someone needs to be paying attention to this type of abuse. If your child does not fit the staff’s “imaginary picture” of what a child is supposed to behave like in a classroom, he WILL be “referred” somewhere else. They waste no time in holding the usual proper meetings with 504 or IEP teams to address the accommodations for your child’s education. If for ANY reason, including taking a child’s behavior personally, they don’t want the child there, they will begin working very hard, lying or tweaking the truth, if they have to, to get the child out of there. God forbid they actually have to do some work and move out of their educational stagnation for once. Then they wake up every morning and call themselves “educators”. **Beware if your child comes from a different culture or environment and seems different than the cookie-cutter style New Mexico child, they will literally look you up and down trying to size you up with their judgmental stare and faces of disgust. On Tuesday I had phone conversations with about three of the administrative staff about how we were going to handle my son’s unfair suspension. The condescending tone was uncalled for as I was not responsible for how they chose to feel. Reason for the 3-day, out of school suspension: Defiance. Yup. As if that’s unheard of in a child. They will all get together to make sure the story “matches” and now you’ve got “witnesses”. Ok. And don’t let me get started on the language used to refer to your child: “He fled the scene”, as if he was some sort of criminal. Fled the scene??? Where are we? The scene? That is law enforcement lingo; it has NO PLACE in a middle school, unless a crime has been committed. I was told that they were trying to set something up so that my child succeeds: A 3-day, out of school suspension is a clear indication of that. On Wednesday morning, I got another school calling me about enrollment? Completely unexpected. A representative from the SE department calling me stating that because the special education program does not provide transportation to my local school (WHEN MY CHILD IS A WALKER) they are suggesting my child goes to a completely different school? And NONE of this was addressed or divulged to me during any of my conversations with staff the previous day.

Started off great. When my daughter approached 7th grade, girl we're trying to jump her for no reason. The faculty there did nothing to stop the bullying and prevent it. We had to switch schools. One of teachers kept calling names such as stupid, and pathetic. Two years later my son started there. when 7th grade started, same problem occurred. The faculty did nothing to help or stop. The principal was very rude as long as the other teachers and counslers talked to me like I was stupid. I was constantly down in the office. Some teachers there are great, but others don't take interest in the students. The front office, counslers, and principals are very unfreindly. I don't recommend this school.

While the school is large, I have found the teachers,staff & volunteers to be dedicated, helpful workers. They are challenging my son (6th grade) with his schoolwork, and I beleive they are putting forth their best efforts for their students.

I appreciate now that my child is in 8th grade, I see an increased focus on preparation and expectations for high school. There is additionally an impetus of encouraging students to become more responsible and accountable. So important this day and age as so many parents do not oversee and encourage their children.

My child is in special ed and the teachers seem to be good but the assistant principal for special ed Jennifer Montano does not care about the children, if you give her complaints she will never follow up. If you tell her something about your child for example....you feel your child is not in the right placement or class she will always fight you back and have something to say against you as if she knows your child better than you. She has a really bad attitude and does not like to be bothered with parents. When you complain to the principal he refers you back to her he is lazy and doesn't do anything.

my daughter attended this school in 7th grade and first semester of 8th grade. this school does not put up with misbehavior from students and all rules and especially the dress code were strictly enforced. teachers are in halls between classes monitoring what is going on. i also volunteered at the front desk so i witnessed parents being called continuosly for misconduct. it is a safe environment and they are 100% anti bullying---if you have a disruptive rule breaker type child they will not make it at this school...

RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS! I had a huge problem last year while my child was in 7th gr. While learning that my child missed class, I was told by the art teacher how my child explained to her the reason she was gone was due to being hurt on the foot she had foot surgery on a week before. The teacher questioned me. I confirmed my child DID have foot surgery. I asked the teacher if she had offered my child an opportunity to go to the nurse's office to be checked. She argued with me. I asked her again, "Did you offer my child a chance to go to the nurse?" She argued more. She began yelling. I requested the principal's contact information from her. The teacher then pulled an UNBELIEVABLE stunt. She started screaming, "I wont be talked to this way, I wont' be abused!" At the time of that conversation I had lost my voice and could not speak normally. I had to whisper. I could NOT yell and never did, nor would I. It became very clear that the Art teacher was crying wolf; acting like a "victim". When the fact was she began yelling the moment I requested to talk to her supervisor. How sickening, appalling and UNETHICAL!!. I will never trust the administrators of this school!

This school is terrible. I began seeing problems from day one. I was informed this school does not accept failure but my son consistently failed every subject he needed to be placed in special education they did not do not anything to assess him until the week before he got out of 8th grade. I even volunteered at the school on a regular basis. There was no communication. Now my daughter who is in 8th is having problems and the school is not addressing this correctly. She is being bullied in the classroom with the teacher present, and the couselors state that there is nothing they can do. The only thing going for this school is parent volunteers.

My daughter is an 8th grader this year and we have been very happy with our three years at LBJ. We have had some issues with bullying, but after speaking with the teachers and also the administration, in some cases, it has been taken care of. It is very important that parents be involved in their children's school as much as possible. The parents who are involved are generally happier than the parents who leave everything up to the school. I have and would recommend LBJ.

The highlight of this school is the music program. Both the orchestra and band teachers are outstanding. My son attended 6-8th grade and was in the 'gifted' program. During his 6th grade year, the gifted program included science and math. Mid-year 2008, the one gifted teacher that my son liked transferred to another school. They were only able to fill the position with teachers with English, literature, and social studies qualifications, so those were the only 'gifted' classes offered. I discussed this with the gifted program coordinator, but she basically said that is just the way it is. I thought that it was a terrible waste of instruction time, since there are many more interesting teaching opportunities in science and technology fields; compared to decomposing sentence structures and studying literature themes and plot techniques. Otherwise, the AP courses were OK, and overall my son had a reasonably good experience at the school.

Last modified L B Johnson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.