No rating

Queen Of Heaven School

Private | PK-8

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $162,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $630.

Posted July 9, 2007

We have been with Queen of Heaven for 5 years. I must say that I'm concerned about the shrinking student body and the continued tuition increases. However, our horrible experience at a #1 rated public elementary school will keep us from return to APS until Jr. High or High School. I'm willing to ride this one out another year and pray that things will get better. It's hard to clean up someone else's mess and I'm willing to give the principal a chance to do that. My son's 3rd Grade teacher was a God send so my education dollar was worth every penny last year.

Posted June 1, 2007

This was my child's first year at Queen of Heaven. The level of work is definitely well beyond that of public school and was a challenge for him. That was what we wanted. Prayer in the school is also still present and appreciated by our child and ourselves. However, two complaints I have seem to be a recurring theme. 1) The amount of homework was really overwhelming on most days. During the week, we were up until 9:30 or 10:00 every night trying to get it done. 2) It was virtually impossible to get a teacher to call me back. Unless I showed up in the classroom, I never got to talk to the teachers. We will continue to send our child here, but hope these issues are addressed.

Posted May 24, 2007

Queen of Heaven is a great school. They finally have ridden the school of negative attitudes. It is amazing how many people are willing to put down the school so quickly yet are not willing to help a school better itself...The academics my child has received have been amazing. Their is a lot of work, yet I chose this type of school specifically for that...I am definitely getting every penny I have put in. Yes, their is a lot of work, but the results are amazing. The athletics--what more can I say--amazing--.

Posted May 22, 2007

Overall, we have been satisfied with Queen of Heaven. Loss of enrollment has been worrisome, but some of this is due to longstanding problems that previous principals' also failed to act upon. The K-3 grades are very good, and the extracurriculars are also excellent. Yes, tuition is rising but QOH is well within the range of other Catholic schools in town.

Posted May 19, 2007

My children have received a quality education a Queen of Heaven School. The new Athletic Director has really brought the families and students together with a fantastic athletic program. Several of our teams made it to the championship games. Student athletes are taught that they are students first, then athletes. Study hall is required prior to practices and games. Several of our student athletes are on the Honor Roll and the National Honor Society. The students at Queen of Heaven are given a quality education for less tuition than most of the schools in the archdiocese. The teachers provide a loving and caring environment for our students. Queen of Heaven families are all truly one large family.

Posted May 18, 2007

When we 1st enrolled it was a high quality school, but this is the 2nd principal in 3 yrs & it has gone from bad to worse. He does not understand that parents are important. He comes from a public school environment & believes in only doing the minimum/required work. Teachers are free to do what they want w/o supervision from him. No discipline is carried through to the students. There is a lack of uniform enforcement. Religion is not the primary goal any longer. The structure, discipline & strong faith that once was there is now gone & replaced w/ an attitude of 'at least we're better off than public school & if you don't like it you can go somewhere else.'

Posted May 16, 2007

Overall I am disappointed with Queen of Heaven. This was our first year at this school. My child didn't get quality attention in class. Most of his learning he did at home through his homework. I feel like I 'home schooled' him to an extent. When he was struggling to pickup certain subjects his teacher wasn't didn't work with him, but instead gave me instruction to assist him. Although we were glad to do everything we could and did to help him,including hiring a tutor, the school didn't do the same. The school has an overall mean, unkind atmosphere. A handful of teachers are running the school. There is little credit or respect given to parents or children. We parents make great sacrifices for children and there is a lack of appreciation to us. We won't be returning next year.

Posted May 7, 2007

Queen of Heaven's students are above average in academics. The incoming eighth grade class was at the tenth grade level on the first day of school. Their Middle School Students took home several awards in both the Math and Science competitions this year. Along with the normal academic classes, Queen of Heaven also offers Spanish, Music, Art, Computers, Physical Education at all grade levels and sports for grades fifth thru eight. The parent support system is outstanding. Both the teachers and the principal have an open door policy with the parents. Queen of Heaven is a community working together to supply the students with the best education and surroundings possible.

Posted May 4, 2007

I believe that the academic program is suffering. The teachers are not being innovative in finding was to help their students learn the curriculum. I talk with so many parents that are finding their children behind in the workload because the schoolwork is not being presented in a way where the children are comprehending it. One of the pluses of a parochial school is for the small classes where the teachers can work closely with their students, and help them to understand. I do not see that happening .

Posted May 2, 2007

Queen of Heaven is one of the premire Catholic schools in NM. Their staff is very supportive and are gueninely concerned with a stundents progress. I'm extreamly satisfied with the academic programs to include the music and arts programs not found in public school. However, I would like to see additional equipment added to the playground area and upgrades done to the buildings.

Posted May 2, 2007

Overall I have been very concerned with the school and the students not returning. I do not see the school in the children's best interest anymore. Tuition goes up more and more every year and they are loosing more and more children every year. They are going to be down to one kindergarten class and one second grade glass next year and they are adding a preschool which I do not agree to and I hope does not affect the children starting kindergarten. This does not look good. They need to figure this out before the lose more kids. They need to open their ears and realize parents are not happy and are leaving.

Posted January 9, 2006

Queen of Heaven School is by far one of the premier Catholic Elementary/Mid schools located in Albuquerque. My family has had the opportunity to attended another Catholic Mid Schools and this one tends to be more in control and consistent academic wise. Queen of Heaven truly prepares the student for St. Pius which is a real plus. The only suggestion would be to reevaluate the grade point bar (open the levels by 3 points each). The new principal is always kind and loves the children, which is a positive for all those who come in contact with her. Things are different and some may have a bit of trouble with change but if we all pull together and truly listen to one another we all can succeed (#1 the students, the school/staff and the parents). I love that my child is back at Queen of Heaven...It ROCKS!!

Posted November 24, 2004

Over the past few months, I have become more and more concerned with the amount & level of homework. I have also noticed a trend that demeans & berates the students. I realize that a Catholic education tends to be more strict, however I believe that one can cross the line. Discipline needs to be administered in a fair and just manner. I've also witnessed a lack of follow-up from the teachers with little or no accountability to the parents. Parents are asked to volunteer with fund-raising activities, however there should be more involvement with the curiculum as well. Parental input is a vital ingredient in a child's education. Without it, teachers have total control with no checks or balances. I feel that my input has been disregarded. There is also a lack of communication from the school since the new principal took over. I'm considering another school next year.

Posted September 1, 2004

We believe this school is excellent. The staff are dedicated to academics as well as teaching the Catholic faith. There are many opportunities for parent participation. Music and Art are included in a well-rounded curriculum. The Parish pastor is very involved in the school and the students love him. Tuition is reasonable. The discipline is excellent. The students are challenged academically without being put under too much pressure. We have nothing negative to say about Queen of Heaven School!

Posted July 21, 2004

For being a school that is focused on providing a catholic education I felt that it did a deplorable job in protraying a 'christian' role model. Yelling and demeaning the children did not fit my perception of a child friendly environment...and I graduated from this school myself when it was run by nuns. Parents often complain about the amount of homework. A new principal this year might change the hostile environment. Overall, a high pressure enviroment with strong academics and low value for the love of learning.

Posted August 26, 2003

Consistent academic quality has provided a stable environment for my children during their 9 years of education. Plenty of opportunities for parental involvement at all levels of the process. It is a small school with a non profit budget. The Principal and Staff are dedicated to utilizing the resources in useful ways. However the faculty is somewhat stretched thin with multiple tasking. Easily addressed with further parental involvement, which is not as easily predictable. Queen of Heaven has a great group of core long term dedicated teachers. The facilities are clean and pleasant. I would recommend Queen of Heaven School to others as an overall positive experience!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Santa Fe

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5303 Phoenix Avenue Northeast