No rating

St Charles Borromeo Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 252 students

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $195,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $600.

Posted February 11, 2014

St. Charles is a positive, academically challenged, and faith-filled school. This is my first year teaching at St. Charles and I love it. The principal has an open-door policy that everyone seems to appreciate and that includes parents, teachers, and students. She handles issues, no matter how small or large, with care and follows through with what needs to be done; of course not everyone will agree with a person s actions and decisions, but the principal will always explain her reasoning behind her decisions and actions. As a new teacher at St. Charles I have been mentored by so many amazing teachers. Most of the teachers support and help each other in every aspect needed. The tuition expenditures have always been made available to parents and staff through numerous ways such as the State of the School, the CCC meetings, and the PTO meetings. Parents who are involved and take part in these activities stay well informed of the daily activities of the school. I feel really blessed to be in such a school that welcomes everyone with open arms.

Posted February 4, 2014

This is our first year at St. Charles and feel it is a great school. From what I have seen the parents that complain the most are the ones that are not involved. As an example I have heard parents that say that they are unaware of where tuition is going for expenditures. If you had attended either the CCC meeting or a PTO meeting you would know because the principal presented the budget in each of those meeting at least one. It seems as if it only a small group of parents that continually are involved in the school. My only complaint is the the communication is a little lacking. Though with the principals open door policy it is easy to get any information I want.

Posted January 23, 2014

I am very sad to say this school has gone downhill. The principle may have an open door policy but she also only tells you what you want to hear. She does not follow through and she makes promises she can not keep. Over the past three years my child has suffered academically. We have lost great teachers and the new ones are not mentored and are set up for failure. Theis is the principles fault not the teachers. Your staff is only as good as their leader. Communication is key but there must be honesty behind that communication. Where is all our money going no one seems to know.

Posted January 8, 2014

St. Charles is an excellent school! It has an amazing staff that truly cares about the students. The Principal has an open-door policy, and families are always stopping by to talk, and they feel welcome to talk to the Principal at any time (she has never once turned anyone away). The students are wonderful. All around, it is a great place to be.

Posted January 8, 2014

I am in my 4th year as a teacher at St. Charles. This is without a doubt the best school I have ever worked at. The principal has an open door policy to all. This includes the students. Everyone has a voice. The staff spends countless hours outside their scheduled day to help our children learn. We have high expectations for our students. We instill the teachings of Jesus Christ. This is a school where your child can make mistakes and not be made to feel like a mistake. Yes, we have had turn over the last three years since our new principal has arrived. In most cases, the turn over happened because the teacher wanted a change. The school was stale and needed a new direction, a fresh coat of paint. I worked for both principals, the last one was good. This one is great. If you want a school where your child is held accountable then we are your school. If you want a school where your child is taught to his learning style then we are your school. If you want a school where your child is treated the way Jesus would treat your child, then WE ARE YOUR SCHOOL. I hope one day to teach your child Mr. Meyer 5th grade teacher

Posted January 8, 2014

St. Charles is a great school with a great sense of community throughout. There are several of us families who are newbies to the school(first year at St. Charles). St. Charles is a dream compared to some of the other options (which we have experienced) available for Catholic education in this city. We were welcomed into the community from day 1 starting at the registration orientation. One issue I see are the behavioral problem children whose parents refuse to admit that their child is at fault. They are quick to blame the school or teacher for their child s lack of learning when the real issue is their child s lack of discipline and/or the parents lack of involvement. The administration/faculty/ staff are more than fair. There is no favoritism or seniority here. A first year family (like us) is treated with the same respect as an 8 year family. Recently there have been a few families who have tried to pull the legacy card to get their way and when it failed they became very outspoken about St. Charles decline under the new administration and are constantly threatening to leave I have yet to see them go. This is truly a wonderful school and we are blessed to have found it.

Posted October 15, 2013

St. Charles School is the most loving school I have encountered. My children's academics are advanced and challenging. My children were shy before we started attending this school, now they are outgoing trying out for the lead in the play, performing in front of the school and believing in themselves. St. Charles School is the complete package, wonderful, caring staff and an outstanding Principal who is supportive and encouraging to the student body. I could not be happier with the choice we made to help our children grow, learn and become successful adults.

Posted May 28, 2013

My child attends St Charles and I have found it to be an excellent school. My child struggled this year and the one on one's with the prinicple were the best. He got encourgment and incentive to do his best. Also many of the teachers took personyal interest in him. The encourged him to be a leader in his behavior and to model Christian behavior. We (parents) love the staff, teachers and community at St Charles. Th staff is efficient and always follow though with any request. I love the prinicipal has open door always. We have only felt welcomed at St Charles and look to many more years there and its conitinued success.

Posted May 27, 2013

I am currently a student at St. Charles, it is a wonderful school. It has great teachers and great students and a WONDERFUL principal. I tell all of my friends to come to school at St. Charles.

Posted May 27, 2013

I just finished my 8th year at St, Charles. I am sad at the comments that have been written about my school. I love our new principal and the teachers. I was in Mr. Allisons home room however I also loved Ms. Baca and Mr. B. I also loved the Elementary teachers like Mr. Meyer and Miss. Wheeldon. They all care for all the students and it does not matter what grade you are in, the teachers will get to know you. Mrs. LaValley is the first principal since I started that actually listens to us kids too. I was in her office this year a lot and the last principal would have kicked me out. I had detention a lot and I feel I learned a lot. I heard teachers last year talk badly about Mrs. LaValley and I am glad they are gone cause we now have some great new teachers that really care for us. I will miss my school very much.

Posted May 26, 2013

St. Charles has gone through some great changes over the last two years. The old principal had her favorite students and staff and the rules did not apply to them. The principal is fair with all. She is open minded. Several staff have left because they were not highly qualified to teach that grade. Some left because their power was stripped. The staff that are there now care for all the students and ALL are treated the same. Safety is first but learning is as important. My child just graduated 8th grade and we were there from the start. I am pleased with all the changes and kudos to Mrs. LaValley for bringing some morals and ethics back to a school where principal BJ Rossow had none.

Posted April 9, 2013

My daughter attended school here. The first years was good. Both her and I were happy with it. They then brought in a new principal and the last 2 years were a lot of drama. The sad part is the parents and prinicpal were a big part of this drama as well. Another parent previously mentioned that it is a non-political school, in my opinion, that is a very false statement!! A couple teachers were good and a few below average. The last couple years my daughters grades were dropping and she did not seem to be learning anything in most her classes. Her national test scores dropped to average when before she came to this school she was above average. I thought it was just her but after speaking to other parents I was not the only one with these issues and concerns. I would not recommend spending your money on this school. There are other great schools out there, that cost less as well!!

Posted August 29, 2012

I was a student at St. Charles from 1st-7th grade. I was happy at first, but year after year the school crashed in its funding. By Middle School, everything was messy. And this is all VERY recent. I left 3 years ago. Some teachers were excellent, others were just awful. They would assign busywork, they NEVER taught me anything I would remember, and there was one class called "Leadership" that was ust a time waster that made us memorize poems and quotes, and we didn't have actual letter grades-we had paper money. Rather than something more beneficial or interesting such as geography or a fine art, we had to do this class. The teachers that were good were good, but they have all left to find better jobs. Only a few of the original teachers are there, since funding went down or whatever happened (The library is half a closet. Seriously). The principal IS NOT a good one. I never knew her, but I know everything that happened when I left (I have a good 40-50 kids telling me this). She is nice, but she blew the school's budget on useless things. Did I mention the tution went up? St Charles 5 years ago=decent school. Now=Mediocre school with no respect.

Posted June 29, 2012

St. Charles Borremeo is the best catholic school in the state of New Mexico. This school is a very welcoming non - political environment. We transfered from another catholic school in albuquerque that I prefer not to say the name of, there is no comparison! If you are looking for a great school THIS IS THE ONE !!!!!!!!!!! Our Principal is a great leader.

Posted March 13, 2011

I have attended St. Charles for 9 years. Since kindgergarten now all the way to Ith grade. I have to say this is THE best catholic school in all of Albuquerque. Not only does St. Charles offer one of the best academic programs in the city, but they welcome you with the greatest of love. At St. Charles, everyone is family. My father also attended St. Charles when he was around the age of 7 or 8. My expirience here at St. Charles has been more than words can describe. Some people may have not liked it here, maybe that's just you, or maybe you may not have liked the staff or principal. All I can say is you don't like Principal BJ because your child gets in trouble too much! :-) BJ is so kind and caring. I couldn't stress enough how much love and dedication she puts into running the school. St. Charles provided students with the "tools to succeed". This school is more than extraoridinary, great people, academics, sports, extra curicular activites etc. etc... I know when I graduated this year, and move onto greater bigger things, there will always be a place special in my heart for St. Charles. GOOOOO Cardinals!

Posted January 11, 2011

St. Charles Borromeo school offers a quality education. All students prepare to be the leaders of tomorrow. The school has a family friendly atmosphere and the faculty and staff work together to provide the best experience for each individual child. Most of the time, students cannot wait to go to school because they are happy and excited to learn and know that their friends, teachers and principals are happy to see them and want them to do well. The school runs smoothly and provides opportunities for the students to be self-disciplined and make the right choices. Even when students are in middle school and want to do things their own way and feel restricted because of some of the rules, they can work their way through that in a safe environment and make the decision to do what is expected even though they would rather not. They become independent, responsible and respectful because they know they need to follow rules even when they do not want to. St. Charles provides an extraordinary foundation and the investment is minimal compared to what is received.

Posted July 27, 2010

My son attended this school from 1995 to 2002 (2nd-8th grades). It is a fine school. The teachers and principal truly care for their students. The principal BJ, is strict, but she is also kind and understanding. She made a lot of changes and improvements at the school that I liked. She brought school spirit to the school. When I dropped my son off in the morning BJ was out there greeting every student. She made sure parents followed the drop off pick up rules in the parking area. My son is a college student now, but he works part time in the After care program. St Charles never had enough money, but it didn't keep them from providing strong academics, spiritual support , science fairs, and art programs. BJ and her staff brought out the very best in my son while a student there. I highly recommend St Charles.

Posted April 26, 2010

my daughter started school there reading above her grade level and left there readyng below her grade. Level. Safe school. Kind people. But I would not return. Sad to say but its the truth.

Posted March 15, 2010

My son has attended St Charles for seven years and my daughter for 3 years. It is an amazing school as far as academis go. They are very strict, which can be bad and can be good.

Posted September 27, 2009

St. Charles Borremeo has been a school that has really provided my child with a safe, supportive and challenging environment. The teachers and staff really care about the children. Safety is the number one goal and rigor of academics and helping form children's spiritual identity in the Christian faith are both priorities in the school's curriculum. Like all schools, there are on-going challenges and room for improvement, but one thing is certain, there is a shared commitment toward excellence. As a parent, I see the children there as really practicing their faith and trying their best in all that they do. I might add that not only is the curriculum well-designed and challenging at all levels, all grades receive music, art, Spanish, physical education, and technology. Gone are the days when public schools can provide all of these important aspects of the curriculum for elementary students.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Santa Fe

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1801 Hazeldine Avenue Southeast