K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 02, 2016
Mrs. Torres, Mrs. Wheeldon, Mrs. Mulhorn are all good teachers. Thank you to all of them.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 02, 2016
As with any school, some teachers are better than others. The Elementary teachers are top notch!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 02, 2016
In most cases the amount of homework is just right but some teachers are a bit excessive.

St Charles Borromeo Elementary School 3

Posted June 02, 2016
We have been with this school for 3 years now. Overall we have been mostly satisfied, the education up to now has been top notch and the camaraderie among the students, parents, faculty is amazing. We are going through some serious changes though that are rather concerning. We have a new Principal who has never been an Administrator before. He did inherit a debt that was left by his predecessor but the changes he is making are putting the education of our children in jeopardy. Several teachers were terminated at the end of this year and there are rumors of combination classes, elimination of programs, plus the increase in costs. He lost many students this year which didn't help the situation. He will have trouble recruiting new students with the decisions he has made. Not good for a first time Administrator. We are hopeful that the school can recover and move forward but at the same time we are shopping around for an alternative.

St Charles Borromeo Elementary School 2

Posted December 14, 2014
Both my daughters attended St. Charles K-8 and we had been with the school a total of 14 years. We were very happy with the service and education in the beginning. I believed principal BJ was great! She valued fairness and viewed all students education to be her highest priority. She left when my youngest daughter was in 7th grade. Although I only experienced Mrs. LaValley's leadership 1 year I was glad my daughter was graduating. The new principal seemed inexperienced and did not have things in order. In her first year there she spent a lot of money on things that just seemed unimportant (buying a soccerfield when we had a large field to begin with). My daughter had more run ins with this principal in 1 year than she had in all of the prior 8 years. I found it odd that instead of hearing these incidents from the principal, I heard them from my daughter. I believe that after the new principal was instituted the school went downhill. I have heard from other parents almost all the money was spent up in a short span of time and teachers who had been there for more than 9 years were dismissed. I probably would have pulled my kid out if she had anymore than 1 year left there.

Posted February 11, 2014
St. Charles is a positive, academically challenged, and faith-filled school. This is my first year teaching at St. Charles and I love it. The principal has an open-door policy that everyone seems to appreciate and that includes parents, teachers, and students. She handles issues, no matter how small or large, with care and follows through with what needs to be done; of course not everyone will agree with a person s actions and decisions, but the principal will always explain her reasoning behind her decisions and actions. As a new teacher at St. Charles I have been mentored by so many amazing teachers. Most of the teachers support and help each other in every aspect needed. The tuition expenditures have always been made available to parents and staff through numerous ways such as the State of the School, the CCC meetings, and the PTO meetings. Parents who are involved and take part in these activities stay well informed of the daily activities of the school. I feel really blessed to be in such a school that welcomes everyone with open arms.

Posted February 04, 2014
This is our first year at St. Charles and feel it is a great school. From what I have seen the parents that complain the most are the ones that are not involved. As an example I have heard parents that say that they are unaware of where tuition is going for expenditures. If you had attended either the CCC meeting or a PTO meeting you would know because the principal presented the budget in each of those meeting at least one. It seems as if it only a small group of parents that continually are involved in the school. My only complaint is the the communication is a little lacking. Though with the principals open door policy it is easy to get any information I want.

St Charles Borromeo Elementary School 2

Posted January 23, 2014
I am very sad to say this school has gone downhill. The principle may have an open door policy but she also only tells you what you want to hear. She does not follow through and she makes promises she can not keep. Over the past three years my child has suffered academically. We have lost great teachers and the new ones are not mentored and are set up for failure. Theis is the principles fault not the teachers. Your staff is only as good as their leader. Communication is key but there must be honesty behind that communication. Where is all our money going no one seems to know.

Posted January 08, 2014
St. Charles is an excellent school! It has an amazing staff that truly cares about the students. The Principal has an open-door policy, and families are always stopping by to talk, and they feel welcome to talk to the Principal at any time (she has never once turned anyone away). The students are wonderful. All around, it is a great place to be.

Posted January 08, 2014
I am in my 4th year as a teacher at St. Charles. This is without a doubt the best school I have ever worked at. The principal has an open door policy to all. This includes the students. Everyone has a voice. The staff spends countless hours outside their scheduled day to help our children learn. We have high expectations for our students. We instill the teachings of Jesus Christ. This is a school where your child can make mistakes and not be made to feel like a mistake. Yes, we have had turn over the last three years since our new principal has arrived. In most cases, the turn over happened because the teacher wanted a change. The school was stale and needed a new direction, a fresh coat of paint. I worked for both principals, the last one was good. This one is great. If you want a school where your child is held accountable then we are your school. If you want a school where your child is taught to his learning style then we are your school. If you want a school where your child is treated the way Jesus would treat your child, then WE ARE YOUR SCHOOL. I hope one day to teach your child Mr. Meyer 5th grade teacher

1801 Hazeldine Avenue Southeast, Albuquerque, NM  87106
Last modified St Charles Borromeo Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8