No rating

Sunset Mesa Schools

Private | PK-5 | 395 students

We are best known for academic success and values.

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $211,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted June 19, 2011

After reading the reviews of this school, I am convinced that the good reviews are from staff members. The montessori pre-school staff in my experience were cold, mean and did not teach the correct montessori curriculum. My child would cry everyday when I left and became very withdrawn and would come home saying the most cruel things. My child was bullied by other children and when I TRIED to speak with the teacher, I was brushed off. The teachers were not interested with my concerns as a parent and acted bothered when I tried to bring the bullying up. The environment as a whole is cold and unwelcoming. After removing my child from Sunset Mesa a positive change in behavior was noticeable. I had a horrible experience at Sunset Mesa. If you are considering this school, I would advise observing a class for at least a week to get a feel. But BEWARE!

Posted May 13, 2011

You will not find a more supportive administration and professional teachers, combined with nice, respectful children, anywhere in Albuquerque. The school lives by its word, and the children earn confidence by meeting high (but attainable) expectations. The parent community is outstanding as well. The parents support the school's values, and expect appropriate behavior from their children. And, we greatly appreciate that the parent community is comprised of people who are genuine, hard-working, and down-to-earth, not elitist, who treat each other with respect as well. The children thrive on the structure and the values imported by all. Our children LOVE their school, and we all feel a sense of pride to be part of Sunset Mesa.

Posted May 12, 2011

As a parent of children who have experienced preschool and elementary grades, I can recommend both highly! The preschool was filled with compassionate, encouraging teachers. My youngest received an incredible amount of support to ensure that he was ready for kindergarten. We received lots of feedback to make sure we( parents/teachers) were working together to get him ready! We still go back to the preschool and say hi to our friends there. I was afraid the north campus wouldn't be able to compare with south but it has been extraordinary as well. All children have such unique strengths and weaknesses and the staff recognizes and supports these. The principal is knowledgeable about community resources and aps resources available to Albuquerque kids. This school has the academics and community spirit one would expect of an excellent private school. They also know when they don't have resources for a child's needs and help parents access those resources. I am a better parent because of this school and my children will definitely be better people from the experiences there.

Posted May 12, 2011

We have had two children that started at this school in the 3yr old class. This school is superb in every aspect. The children have a wonderful experience, academics are without equal, proper behavior is taught and expected, and the results are not matched by anyone within the city of Albuquerque. You overlook this school at your own risk.

Posted May 11, 2011

My family has attended Sunset Mesa Schools for 28 out of the past 40 years. I attended starting in 1971, and now I get a chance to share my experience with my children. My Spanish teacher in 1971 is the mother of the current owners of the school. I have always felt like Sunset Mesa prepared me and now my children for life which only begins with academic success. My wife and I feel like the teachers, staff and administration care about our children and are dedicated to their success. In fact, many of them have spent hours before and after school to help them. A few years ago, a group of teachers knew our son so well that they helped us spot an illness that was vital to having diagnosed early. When trying to decide on a school for your child, tour the school and talk to current parents. These are the people who know the school and will give you an honest review of its attributes.

Posted May 11, 2011

My family is so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school and community! I have two children that attend both the North and South Campuses, and they absolutely LOVE Sunset Mesa. The teachers work hard to meet the needs of every student, and I have appreciated the positive, nurturing, energetic attitudes of the teachers my children have had throughout their Sunset Mesa experience. The class sizes are great as well. I have watched my children grow more than I could have imagined due to the Sunset Mesa environment, the dedication of the staff and teachers, and the challenging academic programs that this school has to offer.

Posted May 11, 2011

I have taught school for over 25 years. I have taught in 3 different states and in 7 differents schools, including Sunset Mesa. Sunset Mesa is by far the best school I have ever been a part of. Everyone on staff is highly qualified and dedicated to the students. The families that attend Sunset Mesa are committed to their children receiving the best education possible and I know they get that at Sunset Mesa. I consider it a priviledge to be part of such a fine and upstanding school.

Posted May 11, 2011

Our daughter is in 6th grade and attended Sunset Mesa for kindergarten through 5th grades. She has done exceptionally well in 6th grade and was prepared for the many changes that occur in middle school. Sunset Mesa gave her this foundation. She loves school and loves learning. Again, Sunset Mesa nurtured this love. While at Sunset Mesa, our daughter was challenged academically, given many opportunities to speak publicly, and encouraged in both school and extra-curricular activities. The teachers were interested in her and did an amazing job of teaching her. I would recommend Sunset Mesa to all parents. It was the best education for our daughter.

Posted May 10, 2011

Excellent preschool and elementary school campuses with caring teachers, hands-on administrators, and strong commitment to nurturing young children academically and socially.

Posted May 10, 2011

We have attended Sunset Mesa Preschool and Elementary school for the past few years. We have found the entire school leadership at both campuses exceptional. We have never met an unhappy teacher or key leader at the school. Our child looks forward to going to school and participating in school events and enrichment classes. The energy at the school is high and the commitment to positive communication among child piers is refreshing. Combine the above attributes with an involved parent community and I believe you will have a hard time finding a better preschool or elementary school environment in Albuquerque.

Posted May 10, 2011

I looked at every school in town for the right schools for my children. When I visited the Sunset Mesa Preschool and observed kind and attentive teachers, instructing the most adorable kids, and noticed that the playground was designed with so much to offer, mixed with clean and organized classrooms, I knew it was the spot for my little one. We have been thrilled that our child has not only had an enriched academic experience but also has had GET FIT, a unique physical educational class for toddlers, a music class, and the opportunity to learn to garden. Our older child has had quite a year on the North campus . We experienced a classroom with 14 students and had a dynamic teacher who has recognized and accomodated all academic needs. In addition, my child has taken part in the school musical, and loves the after school programs. Thank you Sunset Mesa for loving my children and for setting the the perfect educational foundation.

Posted May 10, 2011

We have attended Sunset Mesa for the past three years and ABSOLULTELY LOVE IT! Sunset Mesa is a nuturing enviroment for children where they can grow and learn. The school places emphasis on family values and on becoming a model citizen. The teachers and staff are warm and caring. We have only had WONDERFUL experiences at the school. We would recommend Sunset Mesa to any parent who wants their child to learn in a positive environment.

Posted May 10, 2011

Sunset Mesa is a gem! Our children have been at the school for 7 years and have had wonderful, smart, engaged teachers every year. The administration at both the preschool and elementary school have always been receptive to our comments though we have rarely had need to contact them. More often, they contact us with information, suggestions, etc. They really know the kids and their personalities, and they know us. We are thrilled with every aspect of our experience at Sunset Mesa.

Posted May 10, 2011

I am a past student of Sunset Mesa and a current student of the Albuquerque Academy. From the 2 years of age, Sunset Mesa has prepared me to be a successful student both academically and socially. In my forth year at one of the most difficult schools in the southwest, I have gotten all As and Bs. I am a repeat class officer and in the Community Service Honor Society. It is social, study and learning skills I learned from teachers at Sunset Mesa that has made this possible. I have loved this school and its teachers nearly my entire life. I still go back to say hi and catch up with these amazing people. I recommend this school to your children because it has not only helped me feel prepared academically, but it has prepared me for success in life.

Posted May 10, 2011

As a current teacher and staff member for the past 10 years I hope I add a unique perspective. I have never worked with more caring and professional individuals. Mary Helen is an amazing director. She challenges the teachers to be the best they can be while loving the children and spending countless hours supporting parents. Turnover among the teachers is non-existent. Teachers, in general, teach because they feel called to teaching. Teachers want to make a difference in the lives of children. No where have I seen this more true than at Sunset Mesa. Many of the teachers have been teaching for decades and many have multiple college degrees. The teachers that I work with start their day several hours before school starts, leave well after the children and spend hours on the weekend making the education of each child engaging, enriching and differentiated in order to reach all of their student s unique learning needs. If you are looking for a school for your children I hope you talk to Sunset Mesa.

Posted April 20, 2011

Sunset Mesa came highly recommended to me and at my first tour I was impressed. The Director said all the things a concerned parent wants to hear about a school. I placed my child in the preschool program and the first year I was happy except for the fact that the teacher was very cold and distant. The second year of preschool my child started acting strangely and would cry when I would drop her off at school. My child would also tell me that a certain kid would constantly bully her and when I asked the teacher about it, she assured me that nothing was going on. At my parent teacher conference, I was told that my child was not developing properly and that she to be moved into a different class immediately. The teacher also made reference to my child as bothering her because my child hugged her a lot. When explaining this to me, the teacher kicked her leg like kicking an animal away. I was never made aware that there was ever any concern with my child. The teacher made false accusations about my child's development which is scary. I removed her and she is excelling in a very nurturing environment. I would never recommend this school.

Posted April 10, 2011

I would highly recommend NOT sending your child/children here. The teacher was cold and would not say hello to me EVER when I dropped my child off. She made accusations about the development of my child which were false. My child was bullied and developed a stutter while she was in attendance at this school which was diagnosed by her doctor as stressed induced. Once I pulled my child the stutter stopped. The staff is cold and unwelcoming and I strongly feel that the best interest of my child was not addressed at all. Before you make a decision about this school, ask about all the children that have been pulled for the pre-school and ask WHY!! I know several parents who have pulled their children from this pre-school because of similar problems. The attendance records are the lowest this school has ever seen. Do not believe it is because parents are opting out of private schools due to the economy, which is what the staff at Sunset Mesa will tell you if you ask. Non-private pre-schools are just as expensive. Sending my child to this school was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I would not suggest this school to anyone.

Posted April 8, 2011

Staff turnover is a key concern. As a previous teacher, I agree with the reviews about the adminstration. Very welcoming at first, but not receptive to parent or teacher feedback. Teacher turnover is not a concern for the owners - having cooperative staff members who play by their rules, without concern for teacher effectiveness is their goal.

Posted September 8, 2010

Sunset Mesa is an outstanding school providing the high quality of education in Albuquerque. We have been very pleased with the academic success of our children as well as the high acceptance rates into the top private middle/high schools in the city.

Posted February 26, 2010

My husband and I were very disappointed with the grade shcool. The preschool provided a warm loving enviroment for both of our children. After working with the admin. for many years on what they called our child's inability to perform academically we moved to a different school. Our child is doing wonderfully both academically and socially. Our only regret is not having moved our child sooner which was recommended by every one of the school recommended professionals which tested, tutored and counselled our child. Don't waste your money, there are other schools with more loving enviroments for your child.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 1%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Department of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (2007)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Alan and Debbie Mask
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Albuquerque Academy