No rating

Immanuel Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 208 students

ILS is best known for affordable, strong teachings with a Christian worldview.

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $590.

Posted July 19, 2013

Our children went to Immanuel K - 8 and we don't regret a minute of it! This Christian school provides a safe caring environment with an emphasis on academics. The teachers are dedicated, talented, and nurturing. It's a wonderful community that strives to equip students for the future, both academically and spiritually. What a blessing for our family!!!

Posted July 17, 2013

We were looking for a school that would be large enough to provide amenities and choices for our two boys, but intimate enough to customize a learning program for each child. In our first walk-through, we were greeted by enthusiastic staff, friendly parent volunteers and gregarious children and took away a warm feeling of family. Many of the teachers have children in the program and some of the parents are graduates of the program. Mr. Angell says goodbye to each child by name at the end of the day. And, on top of what we feel is a strong educational program (notably one of two schools to be awarded "Blue Ribbon" that year), our children are being taught a spiritual foundation that is full of respect, love, consideration, faith and hope for the future. We look forward to watching our boys continue to grow in this program.

Posted October 31, 2012

As a relatively new member of the Immanuel faculty, I can say that I was very excited to join a such a dedicated and caring staff. I have been welcomed and mentored by my principal and colleagues. We encourage one another to live out our Christian faith and to be the best that we can possibly be for the students and families that we minister to. We are also very blessed to have such involved parents working side-by-side with us to help their children learn and grow.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 21, 2012

This school is great and it offers one of the best core curriculum in the state. Its also really affordable, its actually the best education you can give your child for there money.

Posted August 20, 2012

Immanuel is my home. My family moved to Albuquerque in 1999 and I immediately began going to the school and church. I loved the middle school and the majority of the teachers that I had are still there. They are fantastic, welcoming and help to challenge you intellectually. By the time I reached high school, I was so far advanced, AP classes were a breeze. When I reached college, I went back to Immanuel as a preschool teacher. I taught for two years and miss it everyday that I have left. The family atmosphere is like no other. You will not find a church & school like this one, everyone truly cares and wants the best for each individual student.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 19, 2012

This school has it all! Immanuel is a National Blue Ribbon School and creates both a nurturing, caring environment and an exceptional educational experience. The school also offers an extensive list of extracurricular activities, after school clubs, sports and academic competitions. The teachers treat the kids with love and respect and are encouraged to continue to their education in order to keep their classrooms up to date with the newest technology and engaging for their students. I am so glad to have my daughter in such a great school!

Posted August 15, 2012

We have had our children in this school since our oldest started kindergarten and he's now in 4th. We have found it has become like a second family to us. There is so much available to the kids -- last year we had Lego Club, Spanish Club, and youth group. This year we can participate in things like Band and Battle of the Books. Next year we can do sports. The extended care is affordable. We've had 5 teachers (some for the second time) and have found them to be very caring toward students. The teachers seem like a family. We have had only one instance in which I didn't feel the teacher directed the situation with a Christ-like heart -- but we all make mistakes. The faculty and principal know every students' name. We see the principal at least 1x day. The curriculum is good for the most part. The one thing that you don't get with a school this size is a gifted/talented program. I have seen some of the teachers provide more challenging curriculum to students who need it. The math is Saxon. The reading and religion curricula were recently reassessed and changed. My kids respond well to the discipline system. I am not sure it's a one-size-fits-all, but it works for our kids.

Posted June 8, 2012

My child was in the middle school. I will say this school has a significant problem with bullying and consistency with disipline. I hope they can get this under control because the education in the middle school is very good. I also had a child in the elementary school. I have to agree the curriculum is not challenging and they are behind in math. I had the same problem when it came to principal involvement there was very little.

Posted June 6, 2012

We had our children enrolled in preschool and kindergarten from 2008-2012. We left due to a move but I was already beginning to question the education my children were receiving. Preschool was a fabulous experience until the director left. With no director and no certified teachers in the room since Nov. 2011, it became a glorified daycare for the remainder of the year. When my son moved on to Kindergarten this year, we were optimistic, this was listed as a "Blue Ribbon" school, the reason I chose it. Unfortunately, there were lots of behavioral problems in the class possibly due to boredom (my son was bored to death with the curriculum and lived in terror of the system of punishments and rewards called 'sticks and shoutmarks'). We moved him to another private school and he improved remarkably. Sadly, he will have to repeat kindergarten because he was so far behind at his new school (ILS assessed him at grade level when we left). I feel like I threw away $5,000 in tuition. The principal stopped returning our phone calls regarding an administrative problem once the children were moved out. I'm shocked at the lack of professionalism. I trusted him.

Posted November 4, 2010

Immanuel Lutheran School is a wonderful, caring environment for children! The teachers, principal, and staff truly care for the students and want to help the students grow academically, socially, and spiritually! Immanuel is a wonderful family! Thanks to all the teachers, principal, and staff for their dedication and hard work!

Posted October 10, 2010

ILS is an absolutely amazing place where any child will grow both academically and spiritually. It teaches a changless Christ in a changing world. It is a national blue ribbon school of excellence. I love this place and the people in this place. Your child will be loved and will be safe. I am so blessed to have attended this school and to send my daughter to this school!! ILS has been educating for 80 years and that says a lot. God bless and GO PANTHERS!!!!!! Heather Brenner

Posted August 24, 2010

After having been at this school since 2003, I would have to say that the quality of this school has degraded considerably. On the positive, most of the teachers are very loving and caring. My daughter is now attending an APS school and repeating the grade she attended at ILS last year. Although she made all A's and 1 B at ILS last year, she didn't seem to learn anything and had a negative attitude about school. Since being in the new APS school, we have found that she is actually behind (even though she already completed the current grade at ILS last year). The children are so much better behaved at the new school. The teacher does NOT yell and scream like the ILS teachers did. The learning is more creative, interacting and engaging than the wrote memorization at ILS. I am so glad we made the switch.

Posted May 22, 2010

This is probably one of the best schools in Albuquerque. The principal knows every student by name, the kindergarten teacher is a gift from God, and all the students are respectful and well behaved. All the teachers are loving and caring. The academic program is amazing. My child comes home and is eager to go back to school the next day to learn more. You will not go wrong by sending your child to this school!

Posted March 16, 2008

Immanuel Lutheran School is small with only one class per grade K-8. Each member of the staff and faculty knows every child by name. The teachers are dedicated to raising good students and responsible children. Every child is held to a high standard of academics and conduct. This year the Federal Department of Education awarded the school as a Blue Ribbon School of Execellence. This was based on the ILS's school-wide average score of the 90th percentile or above on standardized tests. Only 50 private schools in the nation received this award. It is a great school with a loving and caring staff and parents.

Posted December 3, 2007

We recently moved to Albuquerque mid-semester and started our elementary-aged kids at ILS a few weeks ago. The teachers, staff, students, and other parents have made this transition extremely easy, and our kids are finding the school very comfortable and academically challenging. Kudos!

Posted March 31, 2005

I have a student in ILS now, and I attended ILS myself in the early 80's. I'm happy to say that the school has remained an exceptional, loving and stimulating facility. The faculty knows each child by name, and the children are given ample attention when they succeed as well as when they may need a bit of a correction. The parents are encouraged to be involved, and the childred are given the opportunity to interact with children in other age groups and classes. The teachers are professional and courteous, knowledgable and caring. What a blessing to be able to send my child to a school and not have to worry about him through the day!

Posted October 4, 2004

We are a family that has had our children in public school and at i.L.S. There is no comparison! The teachers and staff are the most dedicated group of people I have ever seen. It is small in size - 1 class for each grade k-8 which provides a close community with high accountability. No student will ever be 'invisible'. The teachers truly have a heart for christ and in turn for the children. It is a treasure of a school. The students are well prepared academically and socially. The school also provides art, band and choir. There are lots of extra-cirricular activities, including athletics. It is by far the best parenting decision we have ever made. Katharina Root

Posted February 23, 2004

Immanuel Lutheran School provides an excellent education with a foundation of good christian fundamentals. I had the privelage of being a student of Immanuel and also a parent of two students there. Sending your child to Immanuel is the best decision any parent can make.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (2010)
  • Administrator of the Year (2014)
  • Teacher of the Year (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:05 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mark Angell
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Associations
  • ACSI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Tutor(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Public school

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
College Prep