No rating

Albuquerque Academy

Private | 6-12 | 1122 students

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted August 21, 2014

I was an exchange student in AA for a year and I'm aware that teachers tried harder to make me feel comfortable. However, I have to say that I read the reviews - specifically, the really bad ones, and I must admit I haven't seen any of these things happening. First of all - yes, there are snobs in the school. But so are everywhere. I come from a village in Eastern Europe and there are snobs here. Second, I have only once seen a teacher raising his voice. I've heard that some students had impolite teachers, but there are maybe 1 or 2 of those among 100 of them. Besides, if a teacher yells, sometimes, you should ask yourself is there a reason for their behaviour - because there often is. Third, the truth is that the school is very competitive. And people sometimes don't feel individualized - that is true in a school with 1200 students. But the reason for that are not teachers, or the principal. It's the students. Trust me. As for the homework, yes, there is A LOT of it. But it does prepare you for the class. As for the troublemakers, I knew a couple of them and they were definitely not ostracized - in fact, faculty did everything they could to help them.

Posted April 6, 2013

Albuquerque Academy is an excellent school focused on a combination of education, community service, and citizenship. I work hard for my children to attend. The students are focused on learning and having fun. They are driven to succeed. I would not want my children at any other school in the greater Albuquerque area.

Posted February 9, 2013

From the first day of her arrival at Albuquerque Academy to the coming senior year just ahead, my granddaughter has flourished in body and spirit in the school's environment as well as among her fellow students and the faculty. What a wonderful experience it has been for her and for us, too, cheering on the sidelines. Whatever future storms or how fierce they blow, the years in the school in the Heights will strengthen and sustain her. Thank you.

Posted January 23, 2013

This school is good for academics and sports, but preforming arts is not where it should be. My preforming arts group is way too easy; they expect us to not know how to read music! I have run into some not very nice and biased teachers also. If you are hardcore for academics then this school is a must for you, but I really don't think it is worth the tuition.

Posted December 11, 2012

I am the parent of 2 students at Albuquerque Academy. The curriculum is broad and challenging, the number of extracurricular activities and clubs is extraordinary and the school's national reputation is unmatched in New Mexico. This is truly a college preparatory school. Financially, it's not easy. In fact, my salary goes to tuition and we live off my spouse's salary, but we wouldn't have it any other way. If education is a top priority for your child, then this is the school you are looking for. It's not a school for everyone. The competition to get in is tough, but if your child is admitted, you will never regret your decision to join the Academy community.

Posted October 27, 2012

I am a senior and have attended since 6th grade. There is not enough space to explain how amazing AA is. The teacher-student relationships are wonderful and there are countless options for classes and extracurriculars. The courses are challenging, but rewarding because there is a true love of learning at the school. In all my time here, I have never seen anyone ostracized for any reason. Everyone is nice and nurturing. I feel completely prepared for college, and am in fact looking for one that is similar to AA, because my time here has been the best of my life so far. As to the concerns some other reviews have brought up: the amount of new technology has increased dramatically in the last few years, arts are just as important as anything else, the money is well worth it, and I have never experienced rich snobs. Whether you are a parent thinking about sending your child here or just a curious member of the community, I strongly urge you to attend an Open House to talk to students and experience the school a little better. There are honestly not enough wonderful things I can say about AA and I am incredibly thankful that I have been able to attend this wonderful school.

Posted June 1, 2012

Our son just finished 6th grade here, and has flourished in so many areas and ways. Very hard to please, I can't think of anything serious to criticize. The dedication on the part of teachers, and breadth in the course/extra-curricular selection, is phenomenal, as is the diversity of kids (and I'm talking about personalities, as well as cultural/religious/socio-economic, so all kinds of kids learn to be friends). A huge amount of $ (at least to us), but well worth it.

Posted April 19, 2012

I currently go to Academy and I love it. The only reason that I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that for some people, the rules may be too strict and the work too overwhelming. Many people that attend this school are very reach, and I, who is on full financial aid, have no problem with that. However, some teacher seem to expect you to be rich and make you buy books that you only use once or twice. However, if you are ready to work hard, then it's a good school for you. The campus is gorgeous, and you almost never have a bad teacher. In the long run, It'll pay off; just remember that they expect a lot from you.

Posted January 30, 2012

I had a horrible experience at this school. I was singled out by teachers and principles because I was thought of as a "trouble maker. Many of the kids are snobs, who will tell their parents things that aren't true about other students. They will blame other students for their bad grades or bad behavior, I know because this happened to me. Because of this I wasn't allowed to hang out with their kids; this led to a very lonely time for me. I would only recommend this school if you are strictly focuse on academics because this school has top notch equipment and teachers. However, if you would like your child to have quality relationships with teachers and piers, this is not the school for your child. I now go to public schools, and there are many misconceptions of public schools being "ghetto" but in truth they are not. I am much more satisfied with the overall experience at public school then I was at the Albuquerque Academy. Not to mention the cost of going there. Is any middle school/ highschool education really worth $16,000?

Posted November 4, 2011

Academy is the BEST SCHOOL EVER!!! If you like teachers yelling at you and giving you a f***ing homework check everyday. This school has the worst system ever. If you forget you homework, or dont understand how to do it, or forget it at school. You get a homework check. If you get three homework checks you get a detention. If this makes sence to you just wait til you here what happened to me. A couple weeks ago I was sick. Next day I went to get my homework ana d they said dont worry you dont have any. So when I went to class that day I went to class, and the teacher said pull out your homework. So I thought WTH he said we did not have any. Then he gave me three homework checks. So I got a f***ing detention. They have the meanest teachers ever. I hate it. Everyday you get at least 3 hours of homework and have no time to do any sports. I definately reccomend this school! If you hate your child.

Posted October 16, 2011

The academy is a wonderful school if your looking to ne a robot, but if you want to have a nice free time at school dont go here. Im in 8th grade amd everythingnis so structured and everybody is sooo snobby that it makes life at school miserable. I hate it.

Posted September 12, 2011

Im in 8th Grade now and have many friends that go to private schools such as Saint.Pius and Menaul school and Sandia Prep. ! And a few that go to public schools as well ! All of the public school kids think us Academy students are a bunch of up tight snobby brats, and in a few cases thats true but not about everybody ! We are kids just like you and we like to have fun too, the academy has tought me many life long lessons about trust, honesty, and sportsmanship ! This school is a GREAT school for kids who think their "Loners" or whatever , At academy a football player can walk into a math club and not be judged or a soccer player walking into a theater club and not be judged ! I LOVE ACADEMY

Posted July 31, 2011

The Academy is an amazing school. I graduated from AA many years ago and am now raising my own kids- and wishing we had a school like the Academy in our area. You can not get a better education anywhere!

Posted June 13, 2011

What a fantastic education, how lucky is Albuquerque and New Mexico to have this place.

Posted May 11, 2011

I am absolutely shocked at some of these reviews concerning Academy's focus only being on Science and Math and completely ignoring the arts! This year Academy held the ISAS (Independent Schools Association of the Southwest) arts festival for two days. We devoted those two days to learning, watching,and experiencing the exceptional talent of not only our own classmates but also the 3,000 other students from across the Southwest. I am deeply involved in art at Albuquerque Academy and we have one of the best visual art departments I have seen. The art shows are fantastic! There are visual arts for every interest, sculpture, ceramics, drawing and painting, photography, digital art, you name it, and every class puts out exceptional art work every year. Our drama department is wonderful! I have performed in on of our annual musicals and it was one of my fondest memories. Our Performing Arts Department, specifically dance, is amazing! There are two dance concerts a year and they are some of the best performances I have seen. They are entertaining and beautiful. I am so thankful to go to such a well rounded school.

Posted February 27, 2011

We've had two kids graduate from Albuquerque Academy. Both had some terrific teachers, but most importantly they both accepted responsibility for their own education and became independent learners. One had wonderful music education becoming an accomplished saxophone player. The other excelled in visual arts with outstanding facilities for sculpture. Friends of theirs had great teachers for painting and photography. The drama experiences seemed very strong. The most important thing for parents to know is that no matter where a graduate attends college, the students are tremendously prepared often bypassing standard freshman courses to take advanced offerings. The college guidance program really helps students. Overall, one of the best independent schools in the US.

Posted January 15, 2011

This is a great school for my son. He is thriving academically, socially and in athletics. He's gone from being a withdrawn, somewhat socially awkward preteen to a confident, well-adjusted, happy kid. He's learning how to manage himself and his time, and gets a lot of support from his teachers. They are all loving, caring, highly intelligent professionals. Furthermore, the school helped us financially when my husband lost his job. We couldn't be happier with Academy. It was the right choice for us.

Posted June 8, 2010

Our son graduated from Albuquerque Academy in 2009. I can say without reservation that any student who has the academic credentials to get in and who really wants to be there should go if at all possible, and he/she will most likely have a great experience. Obviously AA isn't for everyone. It is demanding, and some students get burned out on homework and studying . The environment is very nurturing, however, and most students find time for extracurricular activites . As for AA being a place for snobs, our son is something of a misfit who never cared about being "popular." He found a close circle of friends and seemed to fit in fine. In five years, our son reported just one dud of a teacher. I especially commend his art teachers, who were fantastically supportive and helpful. I have no doubt that they profoundly changed his life for the good.

Posted May 4, 2010

My daughter has attended since 6th grade. Now in 9th. Sixth and seventh were good. ILiked the small groups of villages/pods. Narrative evaluations were insightful and helpful .She doesn't know how or care to study for tests, but does her homework and gets ok grades. Lots of homework! Probably twice as much as her friends at other schools. Why? . I think they are really trying to prepare those kids that will be going on to the elite colleges, which I guess is good for those students. Most likely, my daughter and many others from Academy will be going to state schools . I'm sure she will be well prepared. We've had lots of good teachers , but we have also had some not so good ones. How in the world does this happen at a private school costing $17k?

Posted March 10, 2010

I'm a parent who is concerned with all of the busy work and projects that seem to be endlessly assigned. Are tese teachers trained in grade-appropriate pedagogy? Or are they hired simply because they have advanced degress? I am also extremely concerned about the lack of modern educationally-based technology at this uber-snobby, uber-exclusive and expensive school. I travel a lot, and see what most public schools in neighboring states have and they make AA look like something out of the 50's! Projectors? White boards? C'mon AA, get with it! It's too bad so many of my fellow parents care more about exclusivity than facing the reality beyond Albuquerque, New Mexico. Hopefully I'll get y wife to see the light!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Drama

School culture

• Attend parent nights
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6400 Wyoming Boulevard Northeast