6-12|Private
1,122 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My 2 children went to this school and each had a different experience. While both children were strong academically, one was an athlete and the other a musician. The Academy prepared both children very well for college and a successful life.

I am a parent of a student at AA. During his tenure at the Academy, I have seen my child grow socially, academically, and in his responsibility levels more than I could have ever imagined. The Academy is helping my son find his way in the world; and he is happy doing so. The Academy's breadth of program, quality of faculty, and large, beautiful campus provide my son with the perfect balance of support and space that he needs in order to thrive, grow, and be happy. I would not want my son to attend any school other than the Academy. It is worth every bit of hard work and sacrifice that is made by our family to send him.

I was an exchange student in AA for a year and I'm aware that teachers tried harder to make me feel comfortable. However, I have to say that I read the reviews - specifically, the really bad ones, and I must admit I haven't seen any of these things happening. First of all - yes, there are snobs in the school. But so are everywhere. I come from a village in Eastern Europe and there are snobs here. Second, I have only once seen a teacher raising his voice. I've heard that some students had impolite teachers, but there are maybe 1 or 2 of those among 100 of them. Besides, if a teacher yells, sometimes, you should ask yourself is there a reason for their behaviour - because there often is. Third, the truth is that the school is very competitive. And people sometimes don't feel individualized - that is true in a school with 1200 students. But the reason for that are not teachers, or the principal. It's the students. Trust me. As for the homework, yes, there is A LOT of it. But it does prepare you for the class. As for the troublemakers, I knew a couple of them and they were definitely not ostracized - in fact, faculty did everything they could to help them.

Albuquerque Academy is an excellent school focused on a combination of education, community service, and citizenship. I work hard for my children to attend. The students are focused on learning and having fun. They are driven to succeed. I would not want my children at any other school in the greater Albuquerque area.

From the first day of her arrival at Albuquerque Academy to the coming senior year just ahead, my granddaughter has flourished in body and spirit in the school's environment as well as among her fellow students and the faculty. What a wonderful experience it has been for her and for us, too, cheering on the sidelines. Whatever future storms or how fierce they blow, the years in the school in the Heights will strengthen and sustain her. Thank you.

This school is good for academics and sports, but preforming arts is not where it should be. My preforming arts group is way too easy; they expect us to not know how to read music! I have run into some not very nice and biased teachers also. If you are hardcore for academics then this school is a must for you, but I really don't think it is worth the tuition.

I am the parent of 2 students at Albuquerque Academy. The curriculum is broad and challenging, the number of extracurricular activities and clubs is extraordinary and the school's national reputation is unmatched in New Mexico. This is truly a college preparatory school. Financially, it's not easy. In fact, my salary goes to tuition and we live off my spouse's salary, but we wouldn't have it any other way. If education is a top priority for your child, then this is the school you are looking for. It's not a school for everyone. The competition to get in is tough, but if your child is admitted, you will never regret your decision to join the Academy community.

I am a senior and have attended since 6th grade. There is not enough space to explain how amazing AA is. The teacher-student relationships are wonderful and there are countless options for classes and extracurriculars. The courses are challenging, but rewarding because there is a true love of learning at the school. In all my time here, I have never seen anyone ostracized for any reason. Everyone is nice and nurturing. I feel completely prepared for college, and am in fact looking for one that is similar to AA, because my time here has been the best of my life so far. As to the concerns some other reviews have brought up: the amount of new technology has increased dramatically in the last few years, arts are just as important as anything else, the money is well worth it, and I have never experienced rich snobs. Whether you are a parent thinking about sending your child here or just a curious member of the community, I strongly urge you to attend an Open House to talk to students and experience the school a little better. There are honestly not enough wonderful things I can say about AA and I am incredibly thankful that I have been able to attend this wonderful school.

Our son just finished 6th grade here, and has flourished in so many areas and ways. Very hard to please, I can't think of anything serious to criticize. The dedication on the part of teachers, and breadth in the course/extra-curricular selection, is phenomenal, as is the diversity of kids (and I'm talking about personalities, as well as cultural/religious/socio-economic, so all kinds of kids learn to be friends). A huge amount of $ (at least to us), but well worth it.

I currently go to Academy and I love it. The only reason that I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that for some people, the rules may be too strict and the work too overwhelming. Many people that attend this school are very reach, and I, who is on full financial aid, have no problem with that. However, some teacher seem to expect you to be rich and make you buy books that you only use once or twice. However, if you are ready to work hard, then it's a good school for you. The campus is gorgeous, and you almost never have a bad teacher. In the long run, It'll pay off; just remember that they expect a lot from you.

Last modified Albuquerque Academy is a Private school that serves grades 6-12