Albuquerque, NM
Students enrolled: 1,122

Posted August 21, 2014
I was an exchange student in AA for a year and I'm aware that teachers tried harder to make me feel comfortable. However, I have to say that I read the reviews - specifically, the really bad ones, and I must admit I haven't seen any of these things happening. First of all - yes, there are snobs in the school. But so are everywhere. I come from a village in Eastern Europe and there are snobs here. Second, I have only once seen a teacher raising his voice. I've heard that some students had impolite teachers, but there are maybe 1 or 2 of those among 100 of them. Besides, if a teacher yells, sometimes, you should ask yourself is there a reason for their behaviour - because there often is. Third, the truth is that the school is very competitive. And people sometimes don't feel individualized - that is true in a school with 1200 students. But the reason for that are not teachers, or the principal. It's the students. Trust me. As for the homework, yes, there is A LOT of it. But it does prepare you for the class. As for the troublemakers, I knew a couple of them and they were definitely not ostracized - in fact, faculty did everything they could to help them.

Posted April 06, 2013
Albuquerque Academy is an excellent school focused on a combination of education, community service, and citizenship. I work hard for my children to attend. The students are focused on learning and having fun. They are driven to succeed. I would not want my children at any other school in the greater Albuquerque area.

Posted February 09, 2013
From the first day of her arrival at Albuquerque Academy to the coming senior year just ahead, my granddaughter has flourished in body and spirit in the school's environment as well as among her fellow students and the faculty. What a wonderful experience it has been for her and for us, too, cheering on the sidelines. Whatever future storms or how fierce they blow, the years in the school in the Heights will strengthen and sustain her. Thank you.

Albuquerque Academy 3

Posted January 23, 2013
This school is good for academics and sports, but preforming arts is not where it should be. My preforming arts group is way too easy; they expect us to not know how to read music! I have run into some not very nice and biased teachers also. If you are hardcore for academics then this school is a must for you, but I really don't think it is worth the tuition.

Posted December 11, 2012
I am the parent of 2 students at Albuquerque Academy. The curriculum is broad and challenging, the number of extracurricular activities and clubs is extraordinary and the school's national reputation is unmatched in New Mexico. This is truly a college preparatory school. Financially, it's not easy. In fact, my salary goes to tuition and we live off my spouse's salary, but we wouldn't have it any other way. If education is a top priority for your child, then this is the school you are looking for. It's not a school for everyone. The competition to get in is tough, but if your child is admitted, you will never regret your decision to join the Academy community.

Posted October 27, 2012
I am a senior and have attended since 6th grade. There is not enough space to explain how amazing AA is. The teacher-student relationships are wonderful and there are countless options for classes and extracurriculars. The courses are challenging, but rewarding because there is a true love of learning at the school. In all my time here, I have never seen anyone ostracized for any reason. Everyone is nice and nurturing. I feel completely prepared for college, and am in fact looking for one that is similar to AA, because my time here has been the best of my life so far. As to the concerns some other reviews have brought up: the amount of new technology has increased dramatically in the last few years, arts are just as important as anything else, the money is well worth it, and I have never experienced rich snobs. Whether you are a parent thinking about sending your child here or just a curious member of the community, I strongly urge you to attend an Open House to talk to students and experience the school a little better. There are honestly not enough wonderful things I can say about AA and I am incredibly thankful that I have been able to attend this wonderful school.

Posted June 01, 2012
Our son just finished 6th grade here, and has flourished in so many areas and ways. Very hard to please, I can't think of anything serious to criticize. The dedication on the part of teachers, and breadth in the course/extra-curricular selection, is phenomenal, as is the diversity of kids (and I'm talking about personalities, as well as cultural/religious/socio-economic, so all kinds of kids learn to be friends). A huge amount of $ (at least to us), but well worth it.

Albuquerque Academy 4

Posted April 19, 2012
I currently go to Academy and I love it. The only reason that I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that for some people, the rules may be too strict and the work too overwhelming. Many people that attend this school are very reach, and I, who is on full financial aid, have no problem with that. However, some teacher seem to expect you to be rich and make you buy books that you only use once or twice. However, if you are ready to work hard, then it's a good school for you. The campus is gorgeous, and you almost never have a bad teacher. In the long run, It'll pay off; just remember that they expect a lot from you.

Albuquerque Academy 1

Posted January 30, 2012
I had a horrible experience at this school. I was singled out by teachers and principles because I was thought of as a "trouble maker. Many of the kids are snobs, who will tell their parents things that aren't true about other students. They will blame other students for their bad grades or bad behavior, I know because this happened to me. Because of this I wasn't allowed to hang out with their kids; this led to a very lonely time for me. I would only recommend this school if you are strictly focuse on academics because this school has top notch equipment and teachers. However, if you would like your child to have quality relationships with teachers and piers, this is not the school for your child. I now go to public schools, and there are many misconceptions of public schools being "ghetto" but in truth they are not. I am much more satisfied with the overall experience at public school then I was at the Albuquerque Academy. Not to mention the cost of going there. Is any middle school/ highschool education really worth $16,000?

Albuquerque Academy 3

Posted November 04, 2011
Academy is the BEST SCHOOL EVER!!! If you like teachers yelling at you and giving you a f***ing homework check everyday. This school has the worst system ever. If you forget you homework, or dont understand how to do it, or forget it at school. You get a homework check. If you get three homework checks you get a detention. If this makes sence to you just wait til you here what happened to me. A couple weeks ago I was sick. Next day I went to get my homework ana d they said dont worry you dont have any. So when I went to class that day I went to class, and the teacher said pull out your homework. So I thought WTH he said we did not have any. Then he gave me three homework checks. So I got a f***ing detention. They have the meanest teachers ever. I hate it. Everyday you get at least 3 hours of homework and have no time to do any sports. I definately reccomend this school! If you hate your child.

Albuquerque Academy