Posted October 26, 2010
Kirtland serves a population that is mainly low-income, a significant proportion of whom speak Spanish as their first language. Considering their population, they are an extremely successful school. I have observed many schools across the country working with students from a similar background, and this school does a better job than 90% of them. Their principal and most of their staff are very active and seek out opportunities and initiatives that the believe will help their students. If you would like your child to learn how to work with students of many different walks of life, I would highly recommend Kirtland as a public institution where they will learn.

Posted January 29, 2008
I am so pleased with this school overall, its very small however, I like that its small and the children do not get lost in the over crowded schools I see in most APS facilities. The staff over all is great, and the principal is great he really belongs to this school. Kirtland Elem is the best keep secret I have found yet. However parent participation is very poor and many of the students are a challege as English is the second language for most so this has to be a challege for educaters but I truly think they do there very best for all the children. The only real negetive thing I can say about the school is there before and after care program which is seriously lacking in leadership. I find it to be cost effect and would pay more to get a better before and after care program.

Kirkland Elementary School 3

Posted October 06, 2007
I think that Kirtland is just really in a bad position. I think they try to do the right thing by these children but they just aren't able because of several environmental issues that affect the entire area. As a whole this school has serious logistics issues and parental involvement just isn't what I had hoped to see in my son's school. They are disorganized, slow to respond to legitimate problems and seemingly incapable of handling the high volume of children.

Kirkland Elementary School 3

Posted May 22, 2006

Kirkland Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2006

Kirkland Elementary School 5

Posted January 23, 2006
Kirtland has great programs that allow Headstart students to participate in field trips and use of the library. This is great for transitioning from preschool to kindergarden and so on. They also have a great after school program which emphisizes on learning and doing homework. They also follow a program with Phonics to enhance reading levels. They hold parent-child activities to help parent involvement in their child's education.

Kirkland Elementary School 5

Posted July 07, 2005
I drive my student across busy Albuquerque every morning to Kirtland Elementary School. I have found the teachers to be kind, caring and dedicated. The school has a large computer lab, an year round art teacher, a wonderful PE program and a beautiful library full of new books. My third grader has done very well academically and socially. I would highly recommend this school to any parent.

Kirkland Elementary School 1

Posted November 01, 2004
This school needs some serious help! As an active duty USAF member, I have seen schools all over the world and in my opinion, this school lacks the funds, and the teachers to 'get the job done'. I pulled my 1st grader out of Kirtland and placed him in a Spanish language immersion (90% Spanish/10% English) at another school because I was so disappointed in this school. As a result, he benefited from teachers that actually seemed to care and dedicate their time and efforts to not only my son, but to the parents and community as well. In general, NM has a poor record for education, and I feel that this school typifies that fact. I can't begin to explain how, as a parent, I have never felt so 'out of the loop' in my child's education.

Posted July 27, 2004
My daughter was diagnosed with ADD late in the thrid grade. We moved to Albuqerque From Westerville Ohio, a suburb of Columbus Ohio. If I would have known that the schools here in Albuquerque were as slow as they were we would not have held her back a year to redo third grade. Now her education is behind and socially she is behind. She is going into the fifth grade and is 11 years old. We thought we were doing a good thing by holding her back when we moved here so that it wouldnt effect her emotionally/socially, but it has in the long run. She attended Sandia Base School for thrid grade and then Kirtland for fourth. Sandia was no challenge to her and the teacher and principle really need to work on their people skills. Also, 'Rain' does not constitute an emergency pick up!

Kirkland Elementary School
3530 Gibson Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM  87106
Last modified Kirkland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kirkland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top