Sandia Preparatory School

Private | 6-12 | 650 students

We are best known for our rigorous and balanced college prep program.

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $239,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted October 22, 2012

Sandia Prep prides itself on the strong support provided to each individual student. With a student to teacher ratio of 7.8 to 1, an average class size of 15, and fewer than 10 students per advisor, we are able to address and meet the individual needs of each learner. All mid school courses, and most upper school courses, have course webpages on the school website to allow parents and students to see syllabi, assignments and other information. We provide detailed progress reports mid-way through each semester, and we hold advisory conferences at which students and parents review these reports with the child's advisor. We challenge each student to meet his or her potential, and we offer a range of courses in every subject area so that each student can find success based upon his or her aptitude and ability. Students who require extra help can meet with faculty members before or after school, during lunch, breaks or free periods, or they can arrange to work with students who offer peer tutoring or professional tutors employed by the school. For more information, visit www.sandiaprep.org

Posted October 21, 2013

Our school is Sandia Preparatory in Albuquerque, NM. We are an independent, private school with superb attributes which only increase over eack school year. Everyone on campus at Sandia Prep smiles. Many teachers have been there 20-30 years, always challenging themselves to improve their teaching and personal skills. My two children received an exemplary education at Prep and they took this solid foundation into college and life.

Posted October 15, 2013

I am a graduate of Sandia Prep and I cannot think of a better place to grow and learn not only academically but as a self-confident individual. I am so excited that my son will get to have some of the same experiences I was able to.

Posted October 14, 2013

The new attendance policy needs to be adjusted. School field trips are considered absences this year and now I find out that students who have to miss a day due to religious holidays will also be counted as absent (there is no difference between excused and unexcused absences). The teachers are high quality. They are willing to help students during lunches and after school.

Posted October 14, 2013

Sandia Prep has given my children an amazing education. They have excelled at college, having been given a tremendous academic foundation. In addition, they had fun, they learned to be particpating members of society, and they made connections with teachers and friends that they maintain to this day. I cannot say enough good things about this school.

Posted October 13, 2013

We love the family feel of this school and the sense that all the teachers and staff know each of the students and are committed to their success! The focus on the whole person: academic, physical, expressive/creative, etc. was particularly attractive to us and we believe helps develop the most successful, happy individuals.

Posted October 11, 2013

Our son is a Junior, our daughter is a Freshman, and both have been at Sandia Prep since 6th grade. While having dinner with them a couple of days ago, both told me how much they like the school, and were effusive in their praise of its teachers. Our daughter was even struggling with a decision whether to be out of school for an afternoon for a soccer game, because she hated to miss two of her classes which she loves. Our son was explaining Sandia Prep's superiority to other private schools in the area in a manner which showed his appreciation of the greatness of his teachers and coaches. As a parent, I appreciate the excitement about learning which both of them demonstrated, and I recognize the school's comprehensive focus on the full development of the student as a well rounded person. i appreciate the positive help teachers give each of them and the consistent feedback we get as parents from teachers.

Posted October 10, 2013

Sandia Prep allows my son to discover who he is and explore the possibilities that interest him. There is no pre-determined destiny mapped out for him. The school lets him decide who he is going to be and then assists him in every way to obtain his goals. It is a fantastic place.

Posted October 10, 2013

Sandia Prep is terrific. It cares about development of the student as a whole and provides many chances for the student to explore various topics and experiences. My daughter has had several chances to transfer to other independents schools and would not consider it.

Posted October 10, 2013

Sandia Preparatory School is everything that all of the other parents had raved about. It provides an amazing education with results, while balancing sports, arts, and other activities. They focus on the whole child and a complete education. We are so thankful for finding Sandia Prep, and we enthusiastically recommend Prep to everyone!

Posted October 10, 2013

My daughter has attended Sandia Prep since 6th grade and is now a senior. She has had an amazing educational experience. The teachers here are so supportive and involved. They really know their students. In addition to the the excellent academic opportunities, my daughter has participated in sports, the arts, student government and camping associates. Private education is never cheap, but I would say that every penny that we spent at Sandia Prep was worth it and we have no regrets. It's a great community for students and their families.

Posted October 10, 2013

I have a 7th grader at Prep and now my 5th grader is applying there. The school is fantastic! The teachers are exceptional and really love to teach there. The school teaches the kids about collaboration and time management. Many great programs offered with a advance curriculum. My daughter is being challenged daily. The school provides a safe place where kids thrive and want to learn.

Posted October 10, 2013

Sandia Prep is the BEST. Both of my sons go to school there and are extremely happy. They are academically challenged by teachers that truly care and are passionate about the kids, the subject that they teach and the school. Prep is truly like a family community. The school instituted a new online learning management system that has teacher assignments on it--it can be checked by both parents and students. The school truly cares about what the kids AND parents think and tries to institute reasonable changes when possible. My sons have been nurtured and challenged to be their best. They are encouraged to do the things that they like, but also encouraged to explore and learn new things. They have never been treated as a number. I would not send my sons to any other school.

Posted September 4, 2013

Sandia Prep has been the best education for our children. It has provided my older children the ability to withstand Ivy league college academics and has given them the confidence to make world wide decisions based on what they learned at Prep. I feel that the teachers are passionate, interested in the true wellness of each child at both the middle school and High School level. Prep continues to get better and strives to make changes at all level that help the families in the best way possible. I understand tuition costs but don't feel that our money is better spent. Having a entering middle schoolerI am looking forward to the next 7 years and know Prep will continue its high grade of excellence.

Posted August 26, 2013

I love this school but more importantly, my child loves it here. The academics are stimulating and challenging. To the child who has to be there 7hrs daily, the student culture and social atmosphere is respectful and tolerant. Geeks are not ostracized and vegetarians are not dismissed. This is important to the child wondering where to sit in the cafeteria. Whether we parents want to admit it, social acceptance in high school is almost as important as academics and significantly affects the individual's self esteem.

Posted July 17, 2013

We love the school but there are few of changes that I hope will be corrected in the future. (1)The teachers need to start using their website to post the homework assignments. There are still some teachers who seem to be resisting. It makes my job as a parent so much more easier and frankly I am paying for that! What good is technology if its not being used. (2) When my child asks to know how they are doing in class..."I don't know yet. I haven't totaled the scores yet." is not a good answer. (3) Handing back the papers or assignments needs to be expedited. If a student has to turn in homework on time then shouldn't a teacher hand back the corrected homework on time instead of a month later? Lead by example!

Posted June 6, 2013

We came to Prep because of Dick Heath---a wonderful, warm, approachable Head of School. The new Head of School is no where near able, or willing to fill those shoes. He has lost sight of the school mission. Prep has not held up its mission in regards to kids who are struggling. They say they meet the student where they are. This has not happened for my child. They say the student comes first. They don't. Tuition has consistently gone up but the quality has not. His advisor has not only not been supportive, he is not even approachable. We tried to meet with the school to resolve our concerns and got only terse, abrupt email responses. I will be enrolling my son elsewhere next year.

Posted October 1, 2012

With the cost of tuition it seems there should be a lot more student support. The school lacks a universal online grade/assignment system so you have to contact each individual teacher and hope they return the email (4 teachers use totally different online systems/others use none), I found out 6 weeks into the year that my child was earning a C or below in 2 classes and not one teacher had contacted me. It was only because I reached out first to simply check on my child's progress. They pride themselves on being rigorous and leaving a few who can't keep up seems to be the norm; rigorous teaching doesn't equate to great teaching. I wish there was a better tutoring/support system in place for kids who struggle in any given subject. The local public school system in Albuquerque performs better in terms of one online system for parents to keep up on grades and assignments as well as outside tutoring. Not sure why Sandia can't bridge these seemingly inexpensive issues. I'd change my child to a public school like La Cueva but I know my child would be upset about leaving the wonderful friends made at Sandia. The kids there are incredibly sweet and this is a plus.

Posted September 27, 2012

My daughter has been at SPS for just over a month, and watching her blossom has been a joy. She comes out with things like "It's awesome to be part of the Sandia community!" and goes on about how wonderful her teachers are - excellent and challenging, caring, funny, warm and strict at the same time. I am SO relieved my child is at this school! She wanted to start a fund-raising club and they've supported and encouraged her. Once your child is in, they really are drawn in, nurtured and cared for. The academics are why we sent our children to SPS, of course, and those have been challenging and exciting for her - she'll have 6 years of Mandarin under her belt when she graduates! Wonderful facilities, engaged teachers and staff with fabulous communications with parents. SPS gives your child a wonderful, world-class education without the stress - challenges them, certainly, and outlines clear standards, but still allows them the joy of being a kid. That is exactly the balance I wanted for my child.

Posted August 16, 2012

Three of our kids have attended Sandia Prep - the two who graduated have since gone on to get master's degrees after attending the college of their choice. Prep prepared them excellently to succeed in whatever they desire. We currently have a student at Prep and it continues to over-exceed our expectations. Our third child is years ahead in math and Prep not only noticed that upon completion of his entrance exam, but they continued to test him to find an appropriate placement. He loves school and is happier than we've ever seen him. Soon he too will graduate and follow his dreams. Prep mades that not only possible, but inevitable. The staff work not only on academic achievement with students, but also social and emotional well being. We couldn't be more pleased.

Posted August 18, 2011

I couldn't be more impressed by Sandia Prep. The staff is incredibly attentive and really take the time to get to know each student and meet their needs. The curriculum is challenging and diverse, accommodating a wide range of interests. Best of all, my 8th grader is excited to go to school every day!

Asian 4% 1%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Stanford University
Harvard University
Emory University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Psychologically Healthy Workplace & Best Practices (2009)
  • featured in Newsweek's America's Best High Schools

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Foreign language and culture club

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
  • Steve Albert
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (505) 338-3099

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Independent Study
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer time after school