Manzano Day School 3

Posted November 14, 2013
My son attended from k through 3rd grade. We are filling out applications for middle. These apps are asking for current Math/ English teachers names and email addresses so that they can be contacted them for recommendations. My reason for leaving, kids are grouped math ability starting at 2nd my son tested into the "highest" group, in third grade I he "tested" into the one of the middle groups, and the kids go through trimester testing to determine placement.At the 2nd trimester his teacher informed me my son should move down a group All this time he was achieving nearly 100% on tests and class work.Just after the last trimester test at I told the teacher that I hope my son would be able to enter Academy she replied that his math ability was not up to their standards I was shocked based on his in class math scores and demanded he be moved to the more competitive math classes, he was begrudgingly moved up two classes and earned an A . The teacher disconnect between his placement test and course work and how could I trust her valuation of my son to the middle school.

Posted December 17, 2012
Paying for 2 children in this school is not easy, but I pay every month knowing that I am sending them to a place where not only are learning, they are being truly cared for. I have been a Manzano parent for 4years, and it has definitely exceeded expectations academically. The teachers we have had are like family to us. I have an over achiever as well as a standard student, and I feel like they have both been pushed beyond their comfort level. They both adore going to this school, and thank me often for sending them there. Manzano Day school sets the educational foundation that will set my kids up for a lifetime of success.

Posted January 18, 2012
I spent the first couple months my daughter went here looking for some reason to yank her out and NOT pay for her education. I couldn't find even one tiny reason not to send her here. It is a wonderful place. She thrives. We pay, but really what investment is more important?

Posted August 24, 2011
Our son was at Manzano Day School last year for kindergarten and we had a wonderful experience there. We had to move this summer out of state. When we were searching for a new school in the spring, we truly realized how special MDS is. The program is not for all children but our son thrived in the structured environment and traditional education model. He absorbed so much from the enriched learning activities. We felt like the curriculum was well thought out, not only for his year but year to year. Our son loved sharing his new knowledge from school and we loved seeing the joy he had teaching us new facts. He was excited about learning and that was really important to us. His teachers were kind, smart and professional and our family had a wonderful working relationship with them. There seemed to be the right balance of traditional academics, electives and recess. MDS is expensive and that limits the families that can go there. We were pleasantly surprised at how fun and down to earth most of the families were.

Posted August 23, 2011
Just to clarify, my review today listed me as a teacher, but I am a PARENT of children attending MDS.

Posted August 23, 2011
First of all, let me say that if your child doesn't or hasn't attended Manzano Day School, you cannot accurately and honestly rate the school. There is no such thing as a perfect school, and MDS may not the right school for every child, but it is the right fit for our family. When my kids were little, I heard great things about the school, but I took it upon myself to look into public, private and Christian schools that were within 10 miles of our house. I didn't want to like Manzano, but I was blown away at the open house. Fourth graders were showing us around the school, and were so respectful and articulate. I didn't want to have to pay for private school tuition for my kids, but when you see the beautiful campus and all the resources the school has to offer (including the teachers of course), you have no doubt where the money goes. Yes, there are some "wealthy" families that go to this school, but there are also 2 parents working families that rely on financial aid to help them pay for school. It's the diversity among the families of this school that help make it so great. We value a well-rounded education while providing a nurturing, safe environment for our kids.

Manzano Day School 1

Posted August 02, 2011
I would never send my child to this school. First, the place is completely gated, and gives the impression of a prison. Second, the woman at the reception desk was extremely rude to me, commenting negatively on my dress (which was modest, but not "dressy") when I was simply inquiring whether there were any open positions I could apply for in the future. Obviously this school is elitist and judges people interested in the school on their appearance. I'm sure the children hate her, too.

Manzano Day School 3

Posted December 24, 2010
There are no perfect schools, not even close to perfect schools in Albq, and Manzano is just another (more expensive) one. They do integrate the arts better than most schools, which is nice. Having required chorus is a real bonus for singers. However, the top students are competitive (rather, their families are, which trickles down to the children); many kids get outside tutoring in math to try to stay in the top; and the writing program doesn't emphasize enough grammar, punctuation or spelling. But, it's a good school for a certain type of social community. The campus is also beautiful.

Posted June 25, 2010
My child just finished preKindergarten year and we are impressed beyond our expectations. Our daughter loved every day. By the end of the year she had acquired skilled in reading, Spanish, and computer. I had tried previously to get her interested in Spanish to no avail. But somehow at Manzano she was inspired to learn Spanish better than I did in high school. She now corrects my pronunciation! Also my child tends to be shy and not expressive. Her class had "Show and Tell" every week. When her day arrived each week she was too shy to "present" something to her class, yet her teacher never pressured her. Finally after a few fun poster projects, she actually got up in front of the class and talked about her topic. She progressed further than I imagined, and in a fun, nurturing environment. She loves manzano and so do we!!

Manzano Day School 1

Posted March 30, 2010
i have essentially nothing positive to say about my child's experiences at manzano day school except that he made some good friends. my son was there for three years; he left to attend a public school and was truly unprepared for his grade level. it has taken him months to catch up, but he has caught up (finally) and is even excelling. manzano is well below average for teaching the writing skills; their math program is terrible. the kicker is that we paid an outrageous amount of money to manzano, assuming that they were at least teaching him something, but apparently not. in my opinion pretty much every other private school in albuquerque is a better place to send your kids. by the way, i read through the other reviews and suspect that people affiliated with the school or the board are padding them--blocks of reviews left on the same day?

Manzano Day School