K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

My child likes to learn there, is engaged and interested, although not really challenged. The teachers are VERY ineffective at the discipline aspect, however.

9 MAJOR ISSUES WITH THIS SCHOOL: 1) Grades are combined due to low enrollment and the school can't afford separate grades. But the educational model is not set up to succeed this way. Kids are not getting the time and attention they need in the combined classroom setting. 2) Antiquated mentality about discipline: Follow rules and get ignored. Break rules and get punished. There is no real teaching about how to get along and why rules are followed. The bible is simply another subject - it's not applied or modeled in every day interactions, socialization, and problem solving. Students may learn scripture, but they aren't taught Christian behavior. 3) Bullying, hitting, name calling, intimidation, etc., are largely ignored. There is NO "Character Counts" program or anti-bullying plan. 4) There are no gifted/remedial programs. Advanced students will be bored or moved up an entire grade (whether they are mature enough or not). Remedial learners will fail or be held back. 5) There is NOT ENOUGH physical activity! Elementary students have 1 recess daily and PE twice a week. Recess is considered a "privilege" for good behavior and is often taken away for punishment. If a student loses recess on a non-PE day, they will get NO EXERCISE at school all day. 6) Art, music, and PE programs are POOR. Music class is a couple times per week, but the students aren't taught to read music or play instruments. Art class= making crafts. PE is a time for older students to hang out and elementary students play tag. There is no PE equipment/education. 8) NO PARENT ORGANIZATION. The administration doesn't involve parents, solicit feedback, or regularly inform families about decisions that directly impact families. They DON'T WANT parent involvement. Administration makes decisions in a vacuum, then lets parents know at the last minute (combining the grades, closing the cafeteria, changing from classroom teaching to an online program, etc.). 9) In addition to the approx. $500 annual fee and $5k - $7k tuition, there are numerous "fundraisers" throughout the year. Every fundraiser is "for school improvements and technology," but the administration NEVER communicates how much money was raised and there's no info or evidence about how and where fundraising money was used. Where does all the money go? There's a reason why enrollment is low and students don't return.

Eca was founded in 1976. The school continues to offer an excellent Christian worldview education. Many of the high school students have an opportunity to attend CNM in the dual credit program. ECA even offers transportation for the students who attend CNM. Many of the staff members have been at ECA for several years.

The administration as well as the teachers are a nightmare, they are verbally abusive, and I see nothing Christian about this school. My daughter cried and begged to pull her out. They held her back and told me in a couple of months they would move her up, it never happened. The staff turnover is incredible. I would not fee safe sending my dog there.

I love this school. Please note that the negative reviews were from 4 years ago. This school was excellent when my children started attending 4 years ago and from then it has only gotten progressively BETTER. I have asked this sites administration to remove the false statements as teachers are NOT allowed to watch movies in the classroom, but even so if they do they are short educational clips that are relevant to the curriculum and useful for teaching. There is a lot of competition out there but please know that there is nothing that compares to a Christian environment where your child will learn and grow not only academically but spiritually. Teachers meet regularly and pray for the students. Evangel has been a great place for my kids, all the way from Pre-k and beyond. Communication has been superb this year and although as a parent mentioned earlier, they are not perfect but aim to improve every year!!

My son is in the first grade and also attended kinder there as well. He loves it and we love it. My parents are educators, I am an educator and we all are christians and everything just seemed to line up with this school. My son is challenged in his course work and also include scripture within their subject matters. It is a great school and I highly recommend it.

I have 2 children at Evangel Christian Academy and am very happy with the school. The small class sizes and caring teachers set Evangel apart from many other schools. Any time my children have needed extra help or if my husband or I had a question, the teachers and staff were very caring. As I read a few other reviews about "mandatory fundraisers", I have to admit that I was confused. My kids have attended Evangel for many years and fundraisers have never been mandatory. Yes, many fundraisers are offerred, but I never felt as though I HAD to participate in all of them.

I have both a high school and middle school student at Evangel. I have been very pleased to see my high schooler have the opportunity of completing dual-credit college classes at the local community college. ECA provides transportation for the students to make this easy for the parents and students and fits this into the normal schedule. My middle school student has enjoyed many opportunities in athletics and fine arts at the school and I have greatly appreciated the small class sizes and Christian environment. Evangel has been an excellent location for our family. I am pleasd that we have our children here.

My child has been attending ECS for the last 4 years. (from K4-2nd grade) She loves the curriculum and is very fond the teachers and likes the emphasis on receiving a christian education. I appreciate the class size and also that she is in a christian environment. I really like that she is surrounded with children who are being brought up in a christian environment. It also seems to me that she is getting a better education than offered by the public school district; APS. This schools test scores are higher on average than APS and the students are reading at an earlier age as well. It would be nice if the school had a PTO as well, and fewer fund raisers. Uniforms are mandatory, but the school has an clothing exchange available, and new students can purchase used clothing from the school as well for much cheaper than the cost of buying new uniforms from local retailers. Tuition seems to be a high for the overall value when compared to other private schools in the area, when you add in the extra costs of lunch, mandatory fund raisers, after school programs, fine arts and sports program fees, it can be a overwhelming. But they do offer financial aid to those who qualify.

My daughter attends Kindergarten at Evangel and I am amazed at how she has progressed. I teach first grade and I wish my first graders could come to me reading even half as well as she does. I like the school and the teachers are caring. However, the secretary is not as helpful or even polite. As other parents have mentioned, the tuition is great but the fund raisers are bordering on ridiculous! Four dollars for each casual dress day 3 or 4 times a month (and sometimes one or two weeks a month) adds up! Not to mention the walk-a-thons, buddy barrels and sales fundraisers. I do support the bake sales that the clubs do, perhaps that is because I know where the money is going. They really need to do a better job with parent communication and the fund raising. Most times I get the newsletters on the last day of the month (March on April 1st) and I check the backpack everyday. With all that being said (fundraiser fatigue, and administration's lack of communication), the teachers are doing an amazing job teaching children to be well rounded, Godly, and kind. In a world where most students are rude or indifferent to adults, I can honestly say that is not the case at this school!

Last modified Evangel Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12