No rating

St. Pius X High School

Private | 9-12 | 813 students

We are best known for commitment to excellence.

Living in Albuquerque

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted June 28, 2014

St. Pius is a very good school for people who want to work hard. I have never had a problem getting help from teachers or doing well in classes. There are some not so great teachers and some very good ones especially in the honors and AP classes that are offered. The administration is not the best, especially the out of touch principal Dr. Rothwieler. If you hate uniforms and can't be disciplined don't go here, but I have never had a problem with following some of the stricter rules. Tuition is worth it if you want to work hard and take hard classes. I took 5 honors/AP classes last year and ended up with a 4.8 GPA which I wouldn't have done without some great teachers. Two 5's and a 3 on the AP tests, so they must be doing something right! If you can, definitely go to this school as you can get a great education for much less money than other private schools in ABQ.

Posted November 2, 2013

St. Pius is a place that has challenged both my children, They have teachers who care and parents if asked will give of themselves. Both my children are defenders of their faith. As a parent I feel it has been a sacrifice that is well worth it.

Posted May 17, 2013

St Pius has some very good teachers, but unfortunately it has a terrible administration that does not respect its students, or care about their dignity. They are allegedly a Catholic school, but that would rather teach their children about hate and intolerance than about love and compassion.

Posted April 11, 2012

I am a freshman at St.Pius and truly love it. I don't know a lot about the administration but the teachers are great..Maybe the students who have a problem here did not come from Catholic middle schools..if they did they would not have a problem with the curriculum, the rules or the uniforms. heir dress code is way more lenient than Catholic mid schools!! And if you're not a trouble maker the rules are no big deal. I love it and have tons of friends and fun.

Posted June 23, 2011

Education is good. Administration is terrible, except the vice principals. I have gone to Pius for 3 years, and it has it opened my eyes to see the hypocrisy of the world and how the administration has turned the school into a totalitarian state. Completely ignorant and misunderstand the students. Pius is only good for the conservative parents and the kids who are controlled to go to school, get good grades, praise God etc. Pius is not for the free thinking liberal brain who are not gonna try to fit in, but standout and see that there is more to life than Pius. I'll admit, some of the teachers are great (ex. 10th grade Old Testament 1st Sem.) If you have a tolerance for bigotry, and judgmental administrators, then Pius is good. Uniforms are terrible also.

Posted January 9, 2011

Hi, I'm a freshman this year and the school was completely different that i thought it would be. Most of the administration are completely incompetent. It seems like they base their disciplinary decisions based on how much money they make from you. But other than that most of the teachers are great and most of the kids that go there get along well. Some of the teachers on the other hand have no idea what their teaching. Especially in the freshman theology department. And they should probably put a cap on how many students they accept because some of my classes are really crowded and you never get individual attention from the teacher. Which isn't the teachers fault.

Posted November 20, 2010

Hi, I'm an incomming freshamn this year. Ive only attended saint pius for the last few months and I enjoy it, mostly:) haha. sometimes the students thier are kinda mean, but its just somethingt that you get used to.. :) I came to pius from a public school so the adjustment from a public school to a private school was difficult, very dificult.. but the people here are waaay better then the kids at public school, trust me.

Posted September 21, 2010

As a graduate of a Jesuit High School in Houston, I can see where some of the students don't necessarily appreciate all they are gaining at this point. They will understand in years to come even if they don't fully appreciate it now. St. Pius is a great school, not flawless however. We are very happy with the staff, academic rigor, spiritual growth, and support our student is receiving. And yes, we're happy it's tough. Great preparation for college, and life. We recommend it highly.

Posted June 16, 2010

My son attended St. Pius X High School for a year and a half. It was one of the worst experiences of his life. The parents are snobs, the kids are cruel, and the administration is at best incompetent. There are some wonderful teachers and staff, but imbeciles are just as numerous.

Posted March 30, 2010

I am currently in 10th grade at St. Pius and I hate it. There many teachers that are completly ignorant of the subject they teach. I have experienced this ignorance in the math, theology, science, history, and english departments. I truely believe that Pius is not worth the money and I have many peers that agree with me and have already left Pius. I do not intend to continue my high school education here. The staff is terrible, their are many(not all) students that need are terrible to deal with and there is a total lack of discipline

Posted December 30, 2009

With two daughters currently excelling in college, I can honestly tell potential parents that you will not find a better school in Albuquerque. Pius prepared both in the classroom, socially and spiritually! The tuition is about half that of the other ABQ private schools, and the atmosphere is much more comfortable in that students are actually kind to each other! Best $9500 you'll ever spend, because you'll see the return on investment once you kids are in college...

Posted October 3, 2009

It teaches great solid principles and has very dedicated teachers. They work there because of their dedication to the ethics of the school, rather than making a larger salary in a public school.

Posted January 28, 2009

I am a student at st.pius x high school. I was a little scared to come here at first because 1. I'm not catholic and I was worried about the required theology classes for all 4 years of my high school careers. 2. I was nervous about the academics in gerneral because I was very poorly prepared by my middle school. although my freshman year was hard, by second semester of that year I brought all of my grades up at least a letter or two. as for the theology, its actually one of my favorite classes! I had the choice of this school or another private school down the street. After shadowing a student in each I chose this one because the classes are a lot more informational and the kids are a lot nicer. The uniforms are even a comfort. I really like them, most of the time.

Posted November 17, 2008

I have had three children attend St. Pius. Overall I have been very happy with the education at St. Pius. One of my children is currently in his second year of college (engineering). He was extremely well prepared for college. He was better prepared than most of his peers even though many of them were top of their class. There are areas of the school that need improvement, but this is true in any school. Another plus for St. Pius is that they can accommodate from average students to very strong students. There are academics to accommodate all of these levels. I would recommend it to any parent.

Posted September 18, 2008

i'm a student at spx and all around, it is a good school--the extracurricular activities are really good, mostly good teachers, but i would have to say that having a good middle school is vital to doing good here. I didn't have a good enough math teacher in mid-school and i paid the price freshman year.

Posted May 15, 2008

I am very pleased with the education SPX is giving my child. As with anything else there is always room for improvement in some things but over all this is an excellent school.

Posted March 18, 2008

It is an extremely good school and it gives students quite a bit of catholic education. Not like other people have mentioned in this webpage, since you have to take theology all four years of high school ,and it is not barely noticable, and there is a mass every day, and a prayer befoire every class, so please do not say anything ignorant about the school.

Posted August 9, 2007

I am very disappointed in the school as a whole. I had 2 children attend and will not let my next child attend. The sports and extracurricular activities are good, but the leadership is very poor and the true Catholic faith is barely noticeable.

Posted April 25, 2006

School administration is nonresponsive and inflexible in communicating with parents regarding issues. Grievence procedures are circular and completely ineffective. While there are excellent teachers at St. Pius, there are also poorly trained teachers & department leaders with no viable system of accountability to address problems in the classroom.

Posted October 21, 2005

My daughter graduated from SPX and my son is presently attending. The academic curriculum is the best in town and there is a wonderful sports program, good fine arts department and lots of after school clubs. Students are well prepared for college and taught to discipline themselves both academically and morally. Teachers are caring, concerned and well prepared. Tuition is costly but worth the sacrifice for such high standards. Fantastic, strong administration with strong parental support. All around GREAT school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• (505) 831-8413

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• German
  • Japanese
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Santa Fe

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents join the parents association, the fine arts boosters, and the athletics boosters. they also participate on the consultative council and the st. pius x high school foundation. parents are welcomed as partners in their child's educational experience at st. pius x.