Las Cruces, NM

Posted June 16, 2014
I absolutely hate this school ... we moved here in the middle of the school year and nobody is friendly in the office they just push you threw like cattle. The principal wouldn't meet with us to make us feel comfortable because she was apparently too busy, and the security at this school is a joke, anybody can walk in here at anytime I do not feel safe leaving my daughter here. The bullying issue is ridiculous my daughter is in first grade and had the biggest brats of classmates I have ever met . They are all trying to tear each other down rather than build each other up and all the teacher can say is " I try to let the kids work things out themselves" I know the training with manors starts at home but why is the staff outing up with these kids being so disrespectful .. we are trying to change schools ASAP because I will homeschool before I out my kid back here.

Posted December 16, 2013
Very poor administration. Open door policy is a joke and nonexistent. Bullying is a huge problem at this school and forget having administration deal with this seriously. Unfortunately when talking to other parents with the same issues, they all say that they had to end up moving schools. What a shame that we as parents have to search out a good school for our kids instead of the school trying to work with us and find solutions for our kids. The person suffering the most from this school is my child and it breaks my heart to see it.

Posted December 16, 2013
Teachers are great. Some seem to be overwhelmed at times. But overall they put the students first. Administration is poor. Landscaping around the building and playgrounds is abysmal.

Desert Hills Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
We have been parents at Desert Hills Elementary school for 6 years, and it has been great experience. They have had great teachers every year, and thanks to them, they get high scores on their tests. My kids also enjoy school very much, which is icing on the cake. The only problem that I have are some parents who aggravate any displeasure they have and unfortunately can foster and exacerbate an environment of discontent and mistrust. Those parents should work with the admin rather than working against them.

Posted September 17, 2013
This school's teaching staff is very good and very supportive of children. Parents appear to be involved and also very supportive. Underfunding in certain is evident: technology, integration of technology and instruction, music, playground equipment and playground areas, parking, and textbooks and workbooks. The chief limitation, and it is a big one, is the poor leadership. The school's principal is highly incompetent, lacking in people and communication skills, and not interested in the opinion and concerns of parents and teachers. My several encounters with her have been unproductive and often have bordered on heated argument. She is hostile to parents, unresponsive to kids, and downright rude and intimidating in demeanor toward teachers. Parents have communicated these issues to the superintendent with no success. She needs to be terminated.

Desert Hills Elementary School 4

Posted February 15, 2013
When my child started Kindergarten here, her academic "scores" on the tests to see where she is, were below the average. Now in the second grade, she is above average on reading and where she needs to be in math. I credit this to the teachers and the "response to intervention" (RTI) that they use at Desert Hills. It has worked wonderfully for her. And she enjoys going to school every day on top of that!

Posted November 19, 2012
Sure it's easy to give the school a 5 star rating if your kid performs well academically. But if you have a child with special educational needs, then I absolutely cannot and will not recommend this school. We have waited for years to have my child evaluated. The teachers have been supportive and done their part to help, but the administration is completely useless. And if your child has been the victim of one of the many Desert Hills Bullies, then I wish you all the best with getting that resolved. I have had to go in personally to take care of the bullies. I'm tired of promises and complacency on the part of the Desert Hills staff in regards to my child's education and needs. I'm headed into the LCPS Superintendant's office tomorrow. And I should have done this a long long time ago!

Posted February 23, 2012
I agree with many of the posts regarding Desert Hills. I too specifically moved into this school district so that my son could attend Desert Hills. I absolutely give the teachers the kudos in this school....and a major thumbs down to the administration. The teachers work hard with the resources that they are given...which is not much. The principal is more concerned with the "A" rating recently given to the school by the state (which is not saying much considering)....and pays little or no attention to the parents and kids who are actually having issues with Bullying at the school. The parents are NOT encouraged to voice their opinions to the administration....and are actually discouraged from meeting with the principal all together. Although the principal claims that the school has an anti bullying policy, from the issues I have seen, the kids are simply dismissed and labeled as "bad kids." This is such an unfortunate situation, as these kids are young and so impressionable, who need guidance and and support, especially from school. The principal needs to reevaluate her priorities and begin dealing with the issues that are affecting the students on a daily basis.

Posted December 11, 2011
Very disappointed in our experience with this school. I agree with other reviewers that discipline is very poor and there is a lack of willingness to address real problems with behavior that borders on unsafe. Front office and the administration were really very unwelcoming and unpleasant. All this fosters a tense relationship with parents and is a disservice to the community that these public employees serve. As well staff is negative, label children easily and demonstrate few skills or willingness to solve basic and common problems encountered in elementary education. We moved out of the district for this reason and have been so happy and appreciative of our current public school, where we have encountered an environment that inspires and is caring. Desert Hills is an institution in need of help.

Posted June 28, 2010
We had a very disappointing experience at this school. There are some very good teachers. But we believe leadership is subpar at this school. After rounds of problems and contacting district administrators we transferred our kids out.

Desert Hills Elementary School
280 North Rdrunner Pky, Las Cruces, NM  88011
Last modified Desert Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Hills Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top