Los Alamos, NM
Students enrolled: 1,104

Posted July 09, 2012
I am going into my senior year at Los Alamos Highschool. In my opinion over all, I am impressed with the school systems. I have learned a great deal and I feel that I am more prepared for college then I would have been in another school of lesser quality. I would warn though, it is a tough school and a lot of the teachers expect you to try hard in their classes. As a junior I received about 2-5 hours of homework a night.

Los Alamos High School 4

Posted November 12, 2011
Right now I'm a student at Los Alamos High School, and it's challenged me a lot. Success here completely depends on your motivation although I have to agree that there is less focus on non-overachieving students. For high-achieving students this is a challenging school that prepares you well. For less-achieving students, this school is tougher than other schools in the state, so as long as you stay motivated, then you'll be really prepared as well. The teachers for most classes are really hit-or-miss, especially the regular classes. Half of the teachers are very outgoing, independent, motivated, really awesome teachers while the other half are just in it because they need something to do. The bureacracy here is the most common complaint, especially by the teachers and parents. Most of my teachers have negative opinions about administration. If you look for them there are actually plenty of opportunities to do whatever activities you like, and most of the extracurriculars are the best in the state. Overall, if you're motivated, LAHS has everything you need to succeed.

Los Alamos High School 4

Posted February 28, 2011
LAHS and Los Alamos have its share of problems. Defenatly not the best at dealing with ADD/ADHD students, but then who is? Expect to be pushed very hard to over medicate your child if this is the case. This town and school will ignore the average student if they can not conform to "Future PhD Scientist" mold that is held a little to tightly. The town of Los Alamos also has no issue with trying to run off anyone who can not conform to this mold as well. If your child gets singled out by either; their life will be very rough as neither the schools nor the town are going to be very forgiving. Student/teacher interactions are hit or miss here. I feel this is more about personalities than about the quality of teachers. Being the BEST public school in the State allows LAHS to be rather selective with their teachers. So nothing to really worry about here. The homework load here is heavy. As are all the books your student will carry. Expect a minium of 1hr of homework a night for EVERY class. Many schools say this, LAHS does it.

Posted December 29, 2010
There are pitfalls to Los Alamos High School: certain electives and departments are neglected (the theatre department and writing electives among them), general ed. classes are taught by the worst teachers on staff, and the entire high school is set up to poop out college students, ignoring kids who want to find jobs directly after high school. However, the emphasis placed on learning is one that simply can't be beat. I am about to graduate this year and I am so thankful for the teachers I have had. I feel more than ready for college. I have loved my experience here.

Los Alamos High School 2

Posted November 09, 2010
I graduated last year and have very mixed feelings about the school. But everyone has the right to know the TRUTH about schools their children are attending. If your child is an over achiever and plays many sports this is defiantly the school for them. Teachers there only care about the extremely smart kids that play over two sports. Students that have a learning disability or need an extra push with school i highly encourage you to take them some where else. The school system could care less about the kids that struggle. The principal staff is seriously a joke and every parent and student and staff members realize that. The councilors are amazing. They truly cared about the students. Last year there were a lot of kids that were dropping out because the ciriculum was to difficult and required to much from the students. Also security is horrible.

Posted September 30, 2010
We moved to Los Alamos NM from California to get a quality education for our two daughters. Each one has a very different learning style. The oldest was an average student with a 3.0 grade point average in high school. She just completed getting her masters. The youngest was a 3.6 student and has excel in college plus spent 3 summers in interning in D.C. That is proof enough that the Los Alamos Schools did their job. Thank you.

Posted April 04, 2009
Public high schools do not get any better. With the limiting education policies in the state, LAHS is doing the best it can. To get a better education, one would need to spend a lot of money on a place like Alb. Academy, and even then I do not think that the education is 16,000 dollars a year better. Plus, LAHS is not only science oriented. We have a great music department, and though I do not know much about the theater department, I do know many people who have been accepted to acting programs from LAHS, so I can say that the school can prepare students for more than just a career in science or engineering.

Los Alamos High School 2

Posted November 05, 2008

Posted June 18, 2008

Los Alamos High School 3

Posted May 08, 2008

Los Alamos High School
1300 Diamond Dr, Los Alamos, NM  87544
Last modified Los Alamos High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Los Alamos High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top