No rating

St Thomas Aquinas School

Private | K-8

Living in Rio Rancho

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $172,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted May 13, 2014

If you're looking for a great Catholic school with high academic standards and the best theology teacher in New Mexico, this is the school for you. VERY PLEASED.

Posted May 6, 2014

Great school! The academics at STA are top notch with no slacking aloud! St. Thomas is a school that will push your child academically to do their very best; your best is expected. All of the teachers and staff want the best for each student and work their hardest to help each child improve. I am currently a mid-schooler at STA and my math teacher told the class that when some of our eighth graders went to go and "shadow" students at high schools. Some of the students took at math test that the high school students had to take that day, and our eighth graders got a 100% on the math test! That proves that our academics are rigorous enough to prepare each student for high school and the future. With all of that said, I recommend that you and your student join the STAS family.

Posted April 8, 2014

St Thomas Aquinas is a great school academically for my kindergartner, and has instilled a genuine love of God in him. The only drawbacks are that there is WAY too much homework for a kindergartner. I know some parents that I've spoken with think that this sets the stage for academic success but I think it sets the stage for burnout! My son spends between 45 and 1 hour on homework per night and I hear it gets more intense as he will go into first grade. Plus, they are given two bathroom breaks before luncb, which is challenging for a 5 year old after lunchtime. More flexibility and freedom when it comes to art would be nice as well. But overall really good school led by teachers who really seem to care. They also seem to be on the lookout for hitting, being rude to other children, etc which is great!

Posted March 6, 2014

St. Thomas Aquinas School is a positive place to learn and grow. We have two children who both attended STA and loved it. The teachers are positive and are there for you and your child. There is great opportunity to be part of your childs day volunteering during their art, computer or library time. Throughout the school year there is opportunity to volunteer in your child's class also. Sr. Anne is a great presence at STA. She is always there to listen to how your child is doing and of any concerns. Sr. Anne along with the staff is in the best interst of your child. We dropped off our children in the morning happy to go to school and picked them up excited about the day they had and what they had learned. Your child will grow in his love of God and school at STA. If you are looking for quality catholic education STA is the place to be.

Posted February 27, 2014

Not much to add that hasn't been said already. If you are looking for a school that has strong academics, that makes you and your child feel welcome and cared about, and is just an overall safe place- then this is the school to go to! There is no comparison to public schools- this school teaches and at a very high standard. This school has expectations of the students which is lacking in every public school in Rio Rancho and Albuquerque. There are not as many after school activities or sports as I would like but what my child gets in education and becoming a well rounded, caring, loving, responsible person is way worth it.

Posted December 23, 2012

St. Thomas Aquinas School is the best school in the whole world! I can't believe that there is people who apparently don't think that. Also, for those of you that think that are math program is behind, you are very wrong. The math class in the middle school is great! Our math teacher is amazing. One time he told us that in public school they never stop. If you don't understand, well they don't care because they will just go on to the next thing. Our math teacher, however, will take the time to explain everything, and if even just one person doesn't understand it, he will take the time to explain it again. Also our principal is not a bad one or a dictator. She cares for us a lot. She treats us like her own children. She makes you follow the rules and if you don't, she will discipline you. If you don't like that then I guess that public school is the place for you...the place where yo can mess around and not be prepared for the real world.

Posted September 13, 2012

I love this school i just switched schools from a public school to this one and it has been great! The teachers are entergentic and fun!! I have been getting a better education i struggled with doing my homework at the being of the year but they have lightend the load so thats nice. You will love this school everyone is super friendly.

Posted May 17, 2011

This school has received many awards for excellence in academics and students have received high awards in science projects as well.

Posted April 10, 2011

The administration and a whole lot of the students will make you question whether or not this is a school founded on Christian principles. I had to remove my daughter because she was being bullied mercilesly by a group of "mean girls". The principal just seemed unable or unwilling to do anything to stop it. It's sad because it's the only Catholic school in RR. We ended up driving miles away from home to attend another Catholic school where she is much happier.

Posted March 3, 2011

Although the academics at this school are good. The unsaid don't ask don't say policy is a great enviroment for bullies. as a result of this we withdrew our daughter toward the end of 8th grade year. Not what you would expect from a Catholic school. Very disappointed..

Posted September 3, 2010

My child started at STA the year it opened in 2000. He had excellent teachers from beginning. He graduated from STA at the top of his class, continued on to private high school and graduated in the top 20 of his senior class. The STA teachers definitely prepared him for the college prep high school. The language arts/literature faculty were especially talented as teachers. While the academics are exceptional, the best part of STA is its Christ-centered environment. I will always be grateful to the administration, faculty, and staff for this school.

Posted August 12, 2010

I am a student here and this is my 7th year here. We have wonderful teachers and many great kids. It is such a friendly school. I totally want every child to try this school. Please!

Posted May 8, 2010

I'm a former graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas, while i was there i enjoyed it. However, our principlal was Sr. Mary, a most loving and caring principal. My brother however, has suffered under the iron fist dictatorship of a new principal, a very uncaring and unsupportive person who shows no sympathy for anyone but oneself. My brother was miserable and often misbehaved to try and have some fun in the fascist environment. The school has changed drastically from when i was there and its a big dissappointment. I do not recommend this school at all, which is unfortunate.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 9, 2009

If you want a 'anything goes' atmosphere, this shcool is not for you. Unfortunately, parents let their children run the show at home and then come to this school and don't like the disipline. Yes the teachers and principal have high expectations, but that is what makes it such a great school. It is amazing how students can rise to the level expected! The academics and faith are wonderful.

Posted September 11, 2008

These reviews are ridiculous! The staff at this school is very unprofessional. My children were miserable at this school and I'm so glad we're gone! Very strict and way behind in every subject especially math. Sad that I actually paid for this. Luckily we found a much better school. Actually, anything is better than St. Thomas!

Posted May 22, 2008

My daughter has attended St Thomas for 3 years. I am not a catholic and believe that I have made a wonderful choice for my daughter. The staff is very receptive and helpful in every way! Her peers are not perfect but the children show some reserve and try not to be mean sprited to each other. A far cry from public school. They are learning self discipline, getting a great education and they are doing it in a christ focused environment. I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a mean word to say about this school. Thanks St. Thomas for helping me raise my daughter.

Posted April 30, 2008

I am a graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas School. My last year of school here, I could not wait to get out, but I quickly learned how lucky and fortunate I was to be able to attend such an amazing school. Here, I was able to truly learn about my faith in all aspects. This is, by far, the thing which I am most grateful for. Academics for me were not as challenging as they were for others, but for the most part, they prepared me for high school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 23, 2008

Excellent School! Academics are excellent and above average in all areas. You must come to an open house to see how well the children are doing in all areas as well as experience a truly Catholic School. As for the negative comments, please take them with a grain of salt....it appears that a group of disgruntled parents got together and decided to bad mouth this school on the same day. This is a beautiful, loving environment that teaches our children about the love of God, respect for self and others, and also provides the necessary discipline that many children are lacking in this world today. I encourage you to visit this wonderful school and give your child an excellent education.

Posted January 25, 2008

My son and daughter both attend St. Thomas and we feel very blessed to be a part of such a wonderful Catholic Community with wonderful teachers and staff. My kids come home everyday excited about what they have learned and about the wonderful friendships they have developed. I don't quite understand some of the comments as I have never had issues with getting involved in classroom activities, in fact, the school welcomes parent involvement in all areas. It's up the the parents to get involved if they really want to...the opportunities are there. Both of my kids are excelling in their school work and I credit this to the teachers and their open & continual communication that keeps me informed of my children's progress. I recommend that you tour the school, speak to other parents & faculty and judge for yourself rather than taking some of these comments as fact.

Posted November 6, 2007

We are a military family and this is our daughter's 4th Catholic Elementary school in 8 years, and STAS is hands down the best of the four! We credit this to the Sisters of St. Lucy Filippini who bring a faith-centered approach that envelopes all things about the school. Academics are challenging and extra-curricular activities are good for a small parochial school. Discipline and self responsibility are important values distilled on these children at an early age. On the few occasions we've had any sort of issues we took them directly to the teacher or principal and have left 100% satisfied -- maybe some of the parents who left such negative comments on here should have done the same.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Santa Fe

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1100 Hood Road Southeast