V Sue Cleveland High School 5

Posted March 16, 2014
I have two boys here in 9th and 10th grade. They say that the teachers at Cleveland care about the kids (I have seen this) and they enjoy going to school. My younger son is in ROTC and and band and loves both. They offer a lot of school clubs, school sports, and other things. It's a safe, challenging, and fun school which I believe is what a school should be. I grew up in a nice high school in Michigan but Cleveland is way better than my school in making the kids feel comfortable and keeping the freshmen away from the juniors and seniors. It has 3 floors with the freshman mostly on the first floor, the sophomores mostly on the 2nd (some on the first), and the juniors and seniors are on the 3rd floor. Classes for freshman are in a pod where they can learn the layout without stressing. The principal is a great leader and wants 100% graduation and the kids to be involved. I don't have to visit it much but the times I have been there I find it to be a nice, respectful and fun school where kids can learn and thrive.

V Sue Cleveland High School 2

Posted July 27, 2013
The communication level is ZERO. We were at this school 2 1/2 years and out of few times I called and left messages for various staff members, not ONE SINGLE time did I ever receive a call back. Not one. I always had to make a trip to the school to actually get a response. This was event coordinators, athletic department, prom coordinators, and once, even the principals office. There are a few teachers in Cleveland that are superior, but I think more of them get lost in the masses. I understand they are a newer school and are still trying to figure out the learning curve, but for example, high school graduation you are not allowed to bring in any kind of photo's or posters to congratulate your child while walking across the stage? They are not allowed to "toss" their caps, they are not allowed to cheer too loud...come on now. This is a once in a life time event for these students. Lighten up a little staff. Not so welcoming to new parents that want to be involved. Good things: new school and facility, front desk secretaries are outstanding at their job, great sports teams.

Posted February 11, 2013
My son has just started as a freshman at this school and we have been quite pleased. The facility is top notch, the way the classes are organized by floors (freshman on the bottom, sophomores on the 2nd floor and juniors and seniors on the top) has really eased the transition. My son loves his teachers and finds they are creative in teaching the material to keep it fun and engaging. I will say, he attended the Cyber Academy before attending here and now the curriculum is all review for him- it's pretty easy and he is getting 95-110 on everything. Fortunately, they offer a LOT of AP classes, and he is really enjoying having engineering offered to freshmen!

Posted November 29, 2012
I am very surprised with the low reviews. My daughter is a freshman there and I always find the staff helpful. It is all in the ATTITUDE you give as to what you get. I do observations at schools all over Rio Rancho and especially the high schools and have never had an issue. It can be a bit unorganized but with only 2 high schools for all of these kids it can be overwhelming for the staff as well. And remember these are teenagers they are dealing with!

Posted October 17, 2012
Very unorganized and chaotic. The communication and planning is terrible and all information is received at the last possible minute through rumors and word of mouth. I graduated from here and am still dealing with them because they can't seem to get it together. The staff was, and still is, very rude to me whenever I need something. The only way I can get them to help me is to have a parent call or to have another teacher talk to the person I needed. This made preparing for graduation and college very frustrating.There were a select few that I could count on when it came to the staff and if it weren't for them I would have never received any help from the rest of them. Also, most of the staff are snobs and have no respect for their students. I was a good kid, got good grades and was very respectful and responsible but was treated like garbage. This school only cares about it's athletes and pushes all the other students under the rug. They definitely play favorites at this school and if your not a favorite, then good luck getting any kind of help or support as a student! They reward laziness, bad behavior and students who are "popular".

V Sue Cleveland High School 5

Posted September 30, 2011
Cleveland was great for my son who transfered in from a DoDDS school. It was on level and the teachers challenged him but also allowed him to develop his strengths.

Posted August 15, 2011
I rate this school a one star because we were very unhappy with the staff, yes this is a great looking NEW sch, but the staff is the worst I have ever seen, unorganized, and none supportive, at the beginning of the sch year (2010/11) my child told me that lots of Sr. were getting kicked out of sch (approx. 30-50) because they did not have enough credits, instead of helping these kids get on track, they kicked them out. Knowing NM is rated 48 out of 50 states as the worst graduations rates in the US. My child was a Jr and was 17ys, I was told my child was going to be bumped to a Sr. because of his age and that he needed to leave the sch because now he was short credits for grad (wow crazy). They told him to get his GED or attend an alternative sch, my thoughts are that they want to be in good standings in the grad rate, so if any Sr. will affect that, they are out, SO SAD, this seems like disrespect for the students/parents as well as the sch, I am sure there are lots of positives, but this was our horrible experience.

Posted August 09, 2011
I am surprised at the low ratings. My daughter was a freshman last year and we love this school. I will say there are issues, like for instance how they had rotating subs for an AP level course, but when I complained, they were very quick to respond and did fix the problem by finding a certified teacher as a long term sub. As a side note too, RRPS is probably the only school district in the ABQ area to offer AP courses at the freshman level. For the person who commented that sports is the focus at this school, I don't get that. They do excel at sports, however, not at the detriment of anything else. For instance, the booster clubs provide a ton of things the school does not, but also, my daughter plays soccer and school is the first focus. They have a stricter set of rules than the school district even has. No grades lower than a C allowed, no matter what your GPA is. This is an excellent school with teachers who do care.

Posted August 01, 2011
Don't let the 10 rating fool you, this is a beautiful building, state of art paid for by your taxes and future generations. Its the same old staff problem, who could care less about the kids, don't know whats going on most of the time, and there's no follow-up on ANYTHING. If you complain or try to light a match to get them to do their jobs, they get mad at you, and cover themselves so it looked like they actually did something. The bullying and the ignorance of the staff about such matters is unbelievable at times. I asked six times for the bullying policy until finally got it. My son was put on the internet, called names, threatened, etc. The principal is useless, why they keep hiring coaches, well sports is the ultimate focus at this school. and everyone knows it. Registration is long and grueling, they use a computer for everything except this. You stand in line for hours at a time. My daughter is in special ed., scared to dealth to go back there, and there was no bus assigned to her at rregistration, and I called last week and guess what no surprise, but no phone call back.

V Sue Cleveland High School 3

Posted July 27, 2011
The school received 3 stars from me because is new, and has multiple courses for the students to choose from. But only 3 stars because the security in the school due to fights and video postings of fihts are getting out of hand. All this from a school with more than 5 security guards and 2-3 contracted police officers! Any complaints or suggestions fall on deaf ears when it comes to the VP's and especially the Principals. Even a suggestion to raise parking space rental fees a little to cover additional costs for anything that can improve security for the students was shot down, apparently they only want to get funds from the taxes and NOT be proactive and charge a little more for the convenience of the parking spaces. In fact what I was told is the charge for parking just barely if at all covers maintenance for the parking lots, very poorly managed! They have security guards directing traffic as opposed to doing what their supposed to which is protecting the students.

V Sue Cleveland High School
4800 Laban Rd NE, Rio Rancho, NM  87144
Last modified V Sue Cleveland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
V Sue Cleveland High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top