Rio Rancho, NM

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 5

Posted August 10, 2014
I felt the need to post after seeing all these negative reviews. We moved here from Pennsylvania in 2012 where my son started 3rd grade. Although the classrooms are over crowded, both his 3rd and 4th grade teachers took the initiative to challenge him by assigning him advanced homework or recommending more challenging books for him. I have been very impressed with the staff at Stapleton and both principle and assistant principles are awesome! So friendly and gets to know kids by their names. The front desk ladies attitudes can definitely use some work! Other than overcrowded classrooms and the front office attitudes, I have NO complaints about this school and I'm very happy here.

Posted August 05, 2013
Stapleton is very crowded, and unfortunately that affects every aspect of the education offered there (hence, the three star rating). The teachers were excellent, but under a lot of pressure. For example, my son's 3rd grade class had 27 kids in it, two of whom seemed emotionally disturbed (according to my son's almost daily descriptions of their behavior). In one over-crowded class, the school waited until the second semester to hire another teacher. The school does offer extra-curriculars like sports, cheer, science fair, and the spelling bee, but good luck finding out about them in time to join (space is limited). Communication has always been an issue. Recess is also crowded--not enough equipment for the number of kids playing on it. One great thing about Stapleton are the diverse music clubs--chorus, show choir, percussion, guitar, band, and orchestra. The school dances are fun and very popular with families, with many middle and high school siblings returning to visit their old teachers (who also go to the dances). The overcrowding isn't the school's fault, and I think they do the best they can, but it's still an issue that the school district needs to address.

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 1

Posted January 12, 2013
Where do I begin? We were in complete culture shock when we moved to New Mexico in 2010. We were disappointed in many things about this school. It is much different than the one we came from. I never got the warm fuzzy feeling of an elementary school. Leadership seems to be lacking. As referenced before, there doesn't seem to be much of a relationship between staff/parents. I always got the feeling of being an "outsider" when I would visit. Our children learned very little at this school. We feel that it is due to the diverse socioeconomic families they are catering to. We were not impressed with the acadmics. They were not challenged enough with homework, projects, book reports, etc. There appeared to be no real consequence for children with behvioral problems. One of our children had 2 disruptive and clearly emotionally challenged students in his class and our son's needs (as well as the rest of the class) were put on the back burner. The "problem" students take priority. Very sad, but very true. Overall, we felt our children were being short changed. Had to move them to a private school where they are excelling.

Posted March 03, 2012
Second year with this school. First year was a huge transition, second year got much better. I agree with the other posts, parents do not feel welcome. This school works more with the average student and puts no effort into the students who need to be challenged.

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 1

Posted May 18, 2011
I completely agree with the person who says that the admin sides with the teacher. They also side with the bully because they said they were sorry makes it ok. When my child punches them in the nose next time and says sorry then that'll be ok then? Too many parents of students work there and they sided with them until I showed concrete proof they were in the wrong and said i'd contact a lawyer. There parent pick up/drop off is a joke. Enchanted hills has a better success rate in just about every area. Good riddance.

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 2

Posted February 27, 2011
The school has programs to assist students in need for reading, etc....and is wonderful if you don't have any teacher issues. The administration sides with the teacher, even when they are in the wrong and treats you badly if you voice your opinion. the office staff is rude and make you feel unwanted unless you are a family member or part of the PTA.

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 0

Posted February 28, 2008
My son began attending Stapleton in January, 2007 as a 3rd grader. As with any elementary school, the most important thing is the teacher, the principal and the staff. Stapleton has a number of excellent teachers that go the extra mile. The principal is excellent and interacts with the parents. There are many activities, of particular interest is the music room and its staff. The parent involvment is excellent - there is a lot of attendance at school events. My son grew up in Europe and came to Stapleton with virtually no knowledge of English. In about 1 year time in the US he now tests at about 3rd grade level in English and he loves going to school. I attribute much of his success to excellent involvment by the teachers/staff at Stapleton. It is an excellent school.

Posted November 21, 2007
I'm new to this school, and I feel very disconnected to the school. The calender that comes home only has 2 weeks worth of info, and the web site doesn't have much info either.

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 4

Posted June 05, 2007

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2007
It seems to have alot along with Excellent Parent involvement. The activities are packed and the parent teacher confrences are well attended. The School is also well equiped. (Needs some additional landscaping)

Ernest Stapleton Elementary School
3100 8th Ave, Rio Rancho, NM  87124
Last modified Ernest Stapleton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ernest Stapleton Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top