Capital High School 2

Posted September 29, 2014
Quite a horrible school, violence, major sur13 population Teachers are good for the most part, just need to clamp down more.

Capital High School 3

Posted May 20, 2011
This school definitely gets a much worse rap than it deserves, but even so, I have to admit that I would not send my kid here. The school isn t run by gangs, the amount of fist fights and misconduct is no more than any other school of the same size. The reason I say I would not send my kid here is because the school doesn t offer much to challenge students or prepare them for college. The majority of the students are well below grade level (by no fault of their own), this means that teachers have to spend lots of time working with those students to get them on track, which means, less time to challenge a gifted student, or even just a student who is at grade level. The school is really working hard to offer more challenging courses and they have done so with the medical pathway, however, with the level most students are at when they get her, there s only so much the school can do.

Posted January 09, 2009

Capital High School 4

Posted February 19, 2008
As a former student of Capital High School, I can honestly say that I was given the opportunities I needed to receive a good education and prepare myself for college. I was a classified 'gifted' student, and my teachers for all four years of my education worked closely with me to excel in my classes without becoming bored. I learned to be hard-working, self-motivated and willing to help my peers. All in all, I had a great experience there.

Capital High School 1

Posted December 11, 2007

Posted December 03, 2007

Capital High School 4

Posted August 09, 2007
I have two children attending Capital and they are both doing very well. They are involved in extra curricular activities and have teachers who care and encourage and challenge them to do their best. I am saddened by the lack of parent and community support. The low numbers of parents attending their own child's sporting events is quite saddening. Our kids are working very hard to create a future for themselves and we should be there every step of the way to witness and share their wins and losses.

Capital High School 0

Posted May 15, 2006
I just read the Sept 2003 parent letter complaining about the education her daughter received at Capital HS. I agree with the students who wrote that perhaps the daughter should have taken more challenging courses, and I wonder at the parent's lack of correct spelling - its instead of it's for 'it is,' CapitOl instead of CapitAl, etc. Education begins at home.

Posted December 27, 2005
I am currently a student at Capital. It is my second year there and I really do love it. It is true that there are some gang activities and a few fights, but that is not the only thing that is going on there. There are teachers that care and try to get the students motivated. There are AP classes and many activities that you can take part in if you try. Capital has come a long way in the past few years. The basketball team is one of the best in New Mexico, along with their Drama department which has won first in state for the second year running. Your education is what you make of it, the school can only take you so far. If you do not want to learn, then it does not matter what school you go to. They will all be worthless.

Posted October 04, 2005
- a former student
As a 2002 graduate of Capital High School I have to say that I am very grateful for the education I received there. I am an education major myself and now I see more than ever that a school can be on the south side of town, with little money and many criticisms but that doesn't mean students received a bad education. While there are teachers that don't encourage learning, they are very few. 98% of the teachers who teach at CHS go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure their students can excell. I know many of my peers that would not even have gone to college or even graduated if it wasn't for the teachers. Those who have criticisms are often those who have never watched or been in a classroom to watch these teachers in action. I'm very proud to say I'm a CHS graduate.

Capital High School
4851 Paseo Del Sol, Santa Fe, NM  87505
(505) 467-2003
Last modified Capital High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Capital High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top