Posted March 07, 2014
I run a non-profit in town and have always been impressed by the caliber of the students from Santa Fe Prep who have interned with us. Now I have a 7th grader at Prep who is thriving at the school and recently I had the opportunity to shadow her for a full day. From what I observe the teachers know their fields and are passionate about teaching. They don't teach to the middle but meet the students where they are, know their learning style and engage them. The size of the school is ideal. 320 is small enough to create a community where every student is well known and no one falls through the proverbial cracks. Yet the school is large enough to have a wide variety of courses and extracurricular activities. The students seem to genuinely care about each other. They study together, attend each others' games and performances and cheer each other on in and outside of the classroom. The culture is one of constantly striving to do more and to do better. It is also very welcoming, the admissions folks are down to earth and I would encourage you to visit Prep and observe for yourself whether it would meet your child's needs.

Posted October 07, 2013
We have two children in the upper school. They entered Santa Fe Preparatory in 7th grade and have been inspired by the academic culture at SFP. The teachers are dedicated, impassioned and very much available to students and parents throughout the social and academic journey. SFP offers excellent academics with intensive honors courses as well as an impressive array of art classes and a caring environment. Santa Fe Breakthrough is housed at Santa Fe Prep and this and other community service programs encourage students to reach beyond the private school campus and be a part of the larger community. College counseling is excellent.

Posted September 19, 2013
My son is in his second year at Prep, and we have been pleased with the challenge of the education he's getting and with the diversity of the students. Within a few weeks, it was obvious to see he was excited about what he was learning - this came from strong teachers who are invested in what they are teaching. He's not your typical jock (though Prep has quite a few of those), but quickly found his group of slightly nerdy, academically focussed kids. With teenagers, you have to ride some ups and downs, but we can tell he loves the place. We are happy with the choice we made to send him to Prep.

Santa Fe Preparatory School 2

Posted August 28, 2013
I am a parent of a former student at SF Prep. We left because of continuing systemic and cultural issues that were becoming more pronounced. The staff is dedicated, but the quality of individual teachers is lacking overall. There is no rubric / uniformity in grading and expectations of the students. Students tend to be slotted into grade categories, rather than earning the grade they deserve. The "college prep" aspect of the school is questionable. Most of the kids are guided toward expensive, but low profile, northeastern universities and study liberal arts. Overall the school demoralized my child (who made OK grades there). Save the tuition cost.

Posted May 07, 2013
I am a professor emeritus who has taught at the University of Colorado, Boulder and St. John's College, here in Santa Fe. I have been most impressed by the quality of the educational experience at prep. The teachers are first-rate and the facilities excellent. It is by far the best lower-upper school in the Santa Fe area. Truly a wonderful place.

Posted April 16, 2013
I'm the parent of a senior and am thrilled with the education and support that my son experienced in his 6 years at Prep. He has just been accepted to his first choice of college (thanks to Prep's great college counseling for helping navigate!). His community service experiences (every Thursday afternoon, all kids do community service!) have ranged from picking up garbage in the Santa Fe River when he was 12 to working in our US Senator's office as a junior. I am also so impressed with his friends: they really care for each other and support each other especially now that they are seniors. Not that everything was a bed of roses as middle school had difficult moments socially (isn't that the definition of middle school!), but as the kids matured and developed with the guidance of Prep's teachers, what a change! And I have found that Prep's administration, advisors, and teachers have worked hard to resolve our issues from bullying to dealing with dyslexia. Overall, we are so proud to be a Prep family!

Santa Fe Preparatory School 4

Posted January 05, 2013
I have been very pleased with the academics at Santa Fe Prep. I think the teacher community is caring and stimulating, as are the athletic coaches. However, the social atmosphere at the school is notoriously challenging, especially for girls, and I found the administration very unresponsive about doing anything about it, which in this day and age seems inexcusable to me.

Santa Fe Preparatory School 2

Posted December 21, 2011
Not the greatest. I should have put my money into a school that would have been worth it. Albuquerque Academy, maybe. Santa Fe just doesn't have very good private school. There are also a lot of drugs going on in the school. The teachers are not anything special. In fact, in my research of other schools, I have learned of a public school with teachers who have actually won teaching awards (not given by the school!). They are good at shining the parents on, but they have to be in order to secure tuition and students.

Posted January 31, 2011
I've taught mathematics at Santa Fe Prep for 12 years and love my job. My teaching is supported by a caring school community, and I am certain that Prep provides the best Middle School and High School education in the Santa Fe area.

Posted October 07, 2009
My daughter loves going to school everyday and see is in 10th Grade!!

Santa Fe Preparatory School
1101 Camino De Cruz Blanca, Santa Fe, NM  87505
Last modified Santa Fe Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
Santa Fe Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.