Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

This was an amazing experience! I not only had a great education, learning spanish, neuroscience, philosophy, psychiatry, math, history, sociology, english, cooking, art, drama, poetry, but most importantly, my experience at the tutorial school gave me the confidence and tenacity to do anything I put my mind to. I graduated from Tutorial and went on to graduate as valedictorian from St. John's College, and now I am in medical school. Much of my success I owe to my experience at Tutorial, for all the support and encouragement that helped me to realize my dreams.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

At tutorial, if you want to learn something badly enough, they will hire a teacher to teach that subject if the main staff thinks that it is beyond their scope. Even so, the teachers at the school have exceptional backgrounds and are also quite versatile in their ability to teach multiple subjects.

Amount of homework: Agree

I LOVE to learn, and so I of course gave myself masses of homework. But for me that is what I wanted out of school, and I loved that I was given the freedom to determine that.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We are absolutely held accountable at Tutorial, through the All School Meeting, in which the students and staff create the agenda for how the school is run, and by the grievance committee which is a group of volunteer students and staff that act as a disciplinary committee. But it is not only these structured groups and activities that encourage honesty, integrity, and fairness, but the nature of the school itself, which focuses on self-knowledge and responsibility.

Tutorial School gave me the motivation to LEARN! I struggled in public schools so when I went to Tutorial School, I was thankful to learn at my own pace, in a relaxed environment. I had the freedom to learn so many different arts, Japanese, math, anything I ever dreamed of. I went on to thrive in college and plan to begin pursuing my master's degree within a couple years. Tutorial School really instilled within me a lifelong love of learning, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Freedom, Respect, and Responsibility are all part of the same circle. The Tutorial School teaches the difference between freedom and license, respect and fear, responsibility and obligation; and when children learn this they develop honesty, integrity, and fairness in the most genuine manner. These kids don't learn how to act fair and honest, they genuinely are.

I see the negative comments say "the kids do whatever they want". This is true. However, it's not due to lack of motivation on either the teachers or the students side. These "kids" are people. People generally want to be successful, find what makes them happy, and build a healthy life for themselves that they can be proud of. Sometimes a person needs time to find what makes them happy and be able to communicate what they need. Sometimes all they need is a positive outlook and someone to listen. At Tutorial they are given the freedom to choose their pace in learning, and healthy relationships which teaches them healthy behaviors. There will be times when you walk into the school and think "is anybody actually doing anything?". The answer is a hard yes. It just might be that a student is learning about relationships at this particular moment, and not about properly filling in test bubbles. That doesn't mean they won't learn traditional academics, it just means they're exploring the world and how they fit into it. The Tutorial School won't give your child a perfect life. The Tutorial school will give your child the tools, resources, encouragement and support to build their perfect life. -Maya Mascarenas Graduate/volunteer P.S. The ability to fire staff ensures that your child can never be abused mentally, emotionally, or be in a situation where a staff member isn't respecting them. As a graduate who has fired a staff member (after much disciplinary action), I believe this is a very important part of what makes Tutorial the real deal. Plenty of schools will claim to listen to your child's needs, but this school proves that your child has a true voice by giving them true power.

I went to the tutorial school for a year and I've learned more in that year than three years of uni. The fact that the teachers wait for you to come to them teaches you to take responsibility and you'll always learn faster of you are the one that initiates it. I had to leave because I left the US but I would've loved to have done a few more years there

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The teachers just let students do whatever they want, they just don't care. This school and the teachers are just worthless.

I went to an open house event at this terrible excuse for a school. There was no real rooms to teach any kind of subject or anything really. The kid's were doing whatever the heck they wanted to. The teachers won't teach a kid unless they take the so called "intiative" to ask the teacher to teach them the subject. Which just makes them seem like lazy teachers who don't want to teach the kids, but if it couldn't get any worse, the students even have power to fire the teachers. This school is just unbelievable, the teachers have no motivation, the school isn't an adequate environment to teach, and the school is one of the roughest in Santa Fe. This horrible excuse for a "school" needs to be shut down for good, there isn't any benefit of putting your child through that horrible environment.

Last modified The Tutorial School is a Private school