October 01, 2015
10 reasons why I think HCCS is the best K-8 school in the state of NM.
1) Truly caring teachers and staff who view teaching as more than just a job
2) Outstanding academics
3) Faithful Catholic religious teaching and daily mass participation
4) Fabulous extra-curricular opportunities (e.g., art, mathcounts, theater, choir, violin, St. Vincent dePaul )
5) Superb humanities curriculum (Your kids will know more history than you.)
6) Great math and science (Singapore math curriculum for K-5).
7) The school always does well in statewide academic competitions (e.g., spelling bee, geography bee, science fair, mathcounts)
8) One of the most affordable private schools in the state with good financial aid for those who need it.
9) Wonderful student body where kids accept each other. I've never heard of a bullying incident, because the staff stay on top of things and the kids are kind to one another. Quarterly potluck and student performances help families get to know each other, build community and stay connected with the school.
10) Outstanding parish support that makes all of the above possible. This starts with the priest and goes all the way down to the laity who give of their time and money to make the school a little better every year and help keep tuition affordable.
I'm a single parent and this school has been my savior. I can't say enough good things about it. Nothing is perfect, but HCCS is as good as it gets in an institutional setting. The only thing I would change is switching to a half day kindergarten with more nap and play time for little boys in K-1. That said, the teachers will work with your student if they need more time/less intensity.
- submitted by a parent