Veeder Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 468 students

Posted September 8, 2010

I recently registered my daughter at Veeder Elementary, so I have not yet had much experience with anyone in that particular school, but I have had the displeasure of dealing with some of the people at the district office. The very first time I spoke with the registrar, I was rudely cut off and unable to ask any questions. He hurried me off the phone and was extremely unwelcoming. I just moved to the school district and he was one of the first encounters I had with anyone from there, which made me very uneasy about my child going to this school. Again, I am only saying this about the registrar in particular, not Veeder as a whole. I hope to have a better experience once school starts, and hope I can come back to this website and leave a positive rating.

Posted March 11, 2010

I like the teachers and the school, but have had a really hard time finding friendly, welcoming parents since I am new to the community. My children have only made friends with kids who's parents are not involved and dysfunctional. I'm feeling veery concerned that my decision to move here was a bad one. My children are good kids and my whole life has been making sure they are raised well. What am I doing wrong?

Posted October 1, 2008

My son is in the 1st grade. I am very pleased with his teacher, assistant teacher, reading teacher, room mother, and could not be more impressed by their support and desire to educate my child.

Posted April 11, 2007

My daughter is educated and is above her reading level. But as far as the other great experiences the other ladies are talking about I have not experienced them. I haven't had the chance to share in school experiences with my daughter, such as holidays, time that can not be given back.I do highly regret that aspect of this school. I did join the PTA hoping to be involved and have a voice but that didn't happen either. I did enjoy my time volunteering for the children.

Posted April 3, 2007

I truly love veeder elementary! currently I have a second grader and in the fall I will have a kindergartner enrolled. There are so many wonderful activities that the school sponsors, both inside the school and else where. Veeder kids & veeder families rock!

Posted April 2, 2007

The best Elementary School in South Colonie, has made an impression on my son. Teachers care about the kids. Veeder cares about all children.

Posted April 1, 2007

For the past four years, Veeder has provided a safe and warm environment in which my child has been able to flourish both academically and personally. The teachers and staff have been nothing less than outstanding. The opportunity to be involved is excellent. I have been able to be a parent helper in the classroom twice a week, chaperone field trips and help out with several of the special days and activities planned for the students. While Veeder itself does not offer sports programs, the district as a whole does. As a third grader, my child is learning to play an instrument in music. At the end of the year there is a very impressive Art Show where the students proudly display their art work for the entire community to view. After which, the art is sent home. Most importantly, my child loves Veeder and all it offers.

Posted March 31, 2007

I think that Veeder is a wonderful school with great teachers! My son loves this school and I believe that there are plenty of opportunities for parental involvement. Academically, my son has done very well. This is a really great school that focuses on the development of each child individually. I feel that my son is safe at this school, as the principal finds the safety of the students VERY important! I would recommend this district as well as this school to anyone.

Posted March 29, 2007

Veeder is a wonderful school. I have two children who attend Veeder and am very pleased with their teachers. When one of my children struggled with reading and writing, he was given extra help in school. The teachers and other staff are always available for advice and have even given me resources so that I can help my children at home as well. Their support has been invaluable to me as a parent. We have been through several teachers now and all of them have been accessible and easy to talk to. I always feel welcome to visit my children at school as both of their teachers encourage classroom participation and, when I visit, the office staff is always friendly and welcoming. I also am pleased that the front doors are always locked and that the principal seems to be very conscientious of school safety. Veeder is a wonderful school!

Posted March 28, 2007

The truth is that Veeder ranks at the top in all categories statewide. There has been such a swell of people in the community that over 150 homes have popped up over the last three years causing the school to have to expand Twice. Phase one is completed already. Phase 2 will begin soon. We moved here because of the school system. Our children get sad on vacation because they miss the school and their teachers. Where else would you see kids line up to hear their principal, and teachers read her favorite books at the local bookstore but in a community that lives for their school and in a school that lives for your kids. Just consider this, there is always one bad grape in every bunch.

Posted March 28, 2007

I have two children at Veeder and they love going to school. Vacations and snow days are disappointing. Veeder has a very active PTA with many events such as Beach Party, Field Day, Science Fair and a favoite - Art Show. As a room parent I see first hand the care and support all Veeder children receive.The rooms are spacious and many teachers have an aide. The children enjoy a computer class and get a great workout during gym class. The staff is very friendly and helpful.Our principal is always at events. My daughter loves Veeder because 'when there is something hard to do, the teachers always make something fun to go along with it.' The kids get rewarded for great behavior with the opportunity to have a special lunh or wear pajamas to school.I can not say enough about the top notch teachers at Veeder. We love it.

Posted March 28, 2007

I can't say enough about this school. I have felt like a part of this family environment right from the start. It is up to the parent to be involved in their children's life, and Veeder fosters this involvement everyday. I am invited by teachers to participate in weekly activities, kept updated on progress and goingon's and feel a great repose from all of the staff and teachers I have contact with. My children have done a tremendous job at Veeder, most in due in part to the teaching staff and family oriented atmosphere. Extracurricular activities are hard to find at the elementary level, but Veeder PTA and school do a wonderful job at having something going on after school at least once a month for the whole family - from their Beach party, to a Book Fair, Movie Night, Family Fun Night, and Barnes and Noble Night. We love

Posted March 28, 2007

A wonderful school, filled with caring faculty and staff. Great age-range of teachers who truly care about the children. A variety of activities - before and after school for the children to partake in. Active PTA, offering many extra events for the school. Wonderful music,art, library, health and physical education opportunities for the children. Spectacular Art Show every April, showcasing the work of all of the students. Faculty/staff is well-trained and educated on all aspects of up and coming educational practices. Welcoming to parents - helping in the classroom, special events, in the library or before/after school activities. Relaxing atmosphere with a myriad of ways in which families can get involved in their child's education. What a lovely place to have your child be educated. Come and visit our K-4 school. You will be pleasantly surprised.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 28, 2007

Veeder is a wonderful school, my family has had nothing but positive experiences. We love how involved parents can be. Veeder PTA sponsors a number of activities for students. The teachers and Principal really care about the children and take the time to learn about each child as an individual.

Posted March 20, 2007

Dirty, oversized classes, staff present that should indeed retire, over controlling environment, starts from leader down, no sense of respect through out school, don't welcome parental involvement (unless they of course are gaining something from it). Administration doesn't force the district to be in cohesion with each other, a lot of undue conflict between staff and parents, rules constantly changing, everyone's not treated equally, - safety concerns. No extra curricula activities with the school. No choirs, chorus but there is music class once a week. No ark work comes home from art class. There are some positive things about this school but unfortunately one out weights the other, I wish I knew this when I settled here 10 years ago. So if your thinking of buying a house in south colonie and have children be ready to have money for a private schooling.

Posted July 14, 2005

This is a school that cares about the children and their success. I highly recommend this school. My daughter and I just love this school!

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Master's degree and above 34%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

25 Veeder Dr