No rating

Academy of the Holy Names Upper

Private | 9-12 | 191 students

Student diversity

Living in Albany

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted May 22, 2014

My daughter is currently a junior at AHN. The school is expensive but I do feel it is worth it. The college counseling is superb and the writing preparation for college is excellent. The one problem I have is the quality of the math program. My daughter struggles with math and is in the math lab but I still find it necessary to hire an outside tutor. Overall, my daughter is happy at Holy Names and if we had to do it over we wouldn't change our decision to send her there.

Posted October 13, 2008

I am a recent graduate now attending a 4-year college. The language arts and writing programs at Holy Names are excellent. I was very well-prepared for college-level papers, presentations, etc. The math and science departments need serious improvement. I am a science major and I can say that I was not well-prepared for calculus, chemistry, or physics. The exception to this is biology, for which I was exceptionally well-prepared.

Posted August 30, 2007

I had an excellent experience at this school. I was more than prepared for college and saw other students struggling with things I completed in high school at Holy Names. I continue to be friends with the women I graduated with and would recommend this school to anyone who wants a good education for their daughter.

Posted February 22, 2007

My daughter did not get a very good education here. The math and science instruction is awful. In hindsight, public school would have been a much better choice.

Posted June 18, 2005

While the academic program and extracurriculars are of good quality, this school ultimately is more trouble than it's worth. The administration is bogus and up-tight, and the environment is so sheltering that the girls were utterly unprepared for the outside, 'real' world.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 20, 2005

Every parent can be involved! Great school. Good location right in the outskirts of Albany/Slingerlands. Great sports (colonial council). All girls so there is no distraction of boys in the classroom. Private. Roman Catholic. Student/Teacher ratio is excellent. Never more than 25 in a class. Modular schuedle. Excellent Principal. A little pricey$, but well worth it. My daughter is well prepared for college. Math & Writing skills learned are excellent. Language dept. needs some work.

Posted September 9, 2003

My daughter graduated from Holy Names a year ago. She is now in her second year of college and so prepared that she is editing fellow students' papers. I have two daugters who have graduated from Holy Names and I can assure any parent that is considering this option, their daughter will leave a strong and sucessful woman. Costly....but well worth it

• Mary Anne Vigliante
  • All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious