No rating

Queens Lutheran School

Private | PK-6 | 135 students

Living in Astoria

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $600,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted September 30, 2013

Love, love, love this school! This is my daughters second year at the school, and it is fantastic. The class sizes are small (12 kids in the 2nd grade) and the teachers and staff are all super smart, caring, and willing to listen to any concerns you have. The Director is also great. i cannot say enough things about this school. They offer early morning drop off and afterschool. My daughter loves it and was happy to get back to school.

Posted January 9, 2013

As a Graduate of Queens Lutheran School (Now known as ASTORIA LUTHERAN SCHOOL) Iam proud to say that my daughters currently attend Astoria Lutheran School.. ALS is family oriented The class size is small and the teachers are caring and dedicated. ALS is a wonderful school that provides a Christian education that is important in todays society. I am so happy that Astoria Lutheran School is part of our neighborhood! Louisa

Posted June 17, 2012

I am one of those over protective parents who still needs to cut the apron strings, so you can imagine my concerns and my apprehension when it was time to send my son to nursery school. This school and its faculty are so incredibly sensitive to the personal needs of every child, I honestly cannot say enough good things about it. I felt very good knowing my son was in excellent hands. I kept him at this school for pre k as well and he had an equally good year there as well. The only downside is that it is gaining so much popularity that they had to create a second afternoon session for pre-k and we ended up in this session. Not my first preference but it turned out well. Lots of kids from all nationalities - best my son learns now that the world is this way...and that's not a bad thing. Teacher incorporated these kids language and cultures into the classroom. New Director this year is very different from last year's but really cares about the school. Thank you all for providing my son with an excellent two years there.

Posted September 3, 2011

This school offers something that the other local schools don't--an overnight camping trip which is such an incredibly awesome experience for the children! This small, caring school has been truly amazing for my children's continued growth.

Posted June 7, 2011

My son had gone to the school and I pulled him out after a few months. He cried everyday when he had to go to school. I was unhappy with the response I got from his teacher and director. He is in a different school and is now happy and can't wait to go to school. I think that says a lot.

Posted March 5, 2011

Queens Lutheran School is a diamond in the rough! You cannot find a more compassionate and dedicated faculty than at QLS. The community at QLS is a kind, loving, and caring family. The teachers' goal is to educate its students how to become the best that they can be as individuals. Keep up the incredible work!

Posted April 14, 2010

WONDERFUL teachers. They are caring and dedicated. The entire staff, faculty and administration have their best interest in their students, parents or guardians.

Posted April 14, 2010

The most caring teachers and students...they give back so much to the greater community. They are the future of a wonderful world.

Posted March 24, 2010

My husband and I are VERY happy with this school. The class size is small and the teacher makes learning fun and interesting. In other schools I looked at the learning environment was sterile and uninviting but my childs classroom is much more student friendly. I get regular progress reports so I know what's going on (in previous years I felt very out of the loop). Perhaps most importantly my child LOVES school, looks forward to learning and comes out happy every day. Who can ask for more than that!

Posted March 24, 2010

My husband and I are VERY happy with this school. The small class size allows the teacher to really interact with all students and give each child the attention they need. A folder is sent home regularly with a checklist, classwork and tests so we can see how our son is doing. My child's classroom is a bright and active learning environment. Perhaps the most important praise I can give is that my son LOVES school, is excited about learning and leaves school happy every day!

Posted March 22, 2010

Small class sizes, weekly progress reports, teachers are great, fun and interesting extra activities, located conveniently 2 blocks away from the N/W train. Recently added greenhouse which the kids love and enjoy, something you won't find in other schools in this area. my family loves this school.

Posted March 22, 2010

A teacher once told me to stand outside the school you would like to enroll in and see what the children are like that come outside. I did this and was pleasantly surprised that the QLS students 1-8 were repectful, polite, and well-behaved. I was most impressed with the older kids who when turning the corner from school maintained their decorum. Unlike all the other schools in the are (parochial included) where the older kids come out swearing and looking like riff-raff from music videos.

Posted January 2, 2010

My child and I both love this school. The small class sizes lets the teachers gt to know the children personally. The teachers are great, and know how to put the children in their place. I would reccomend this school to anyone.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 8% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations
  • ELEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

31-20 21st Avenue