Astoria, NY

Posted October 23, 2014
My daughter just started school here and she absolutely loves it, as do I. The principal, teachers, staff, parents and kids are a warm and friendly bunch. The academics standards are high. I am so happy I found this school for her. My only wish is that I had found it sooner!

Posted April 19, 2013
Our experience with Queens Lutheran School, now known as Astoria Lutheran School, has been very good. Our son is in PreK3. The teacher is enthusiastic, organized and inclusive. She does a monthly newsletter, sends home art at the end of the month then posts a month's worth of pictures for us to look at. She is communicative with the parents and loving to the children. And a thoughtful educator. The room is adorable and has great natural light and they are go outside most every day on the on-site playground. Administration is friendly and helpful if not sometimes a little slow in getting information out. But as the year progressed, so did the information. It's probably part of just being in the school for the first time as a parent. The pastor is friendly and our son likes going to Chapel to learn songs and hear stories. I like that there is a little bible story each week in the classroom and the ability to talk about God and love in an open faith space. Our son attended after care for a couple of months. The program for him included 3-4 year olds. It was organized, well managed and usually fun. I have no idea about the older kids program. We are glad we found this school.

Posted April 18, 2013
Terrific place to get your child started in school. The preschool teachers here are amazing and patient. They work hard to help both the children and the parents transition to school. The administration is excellent with answering questions and giving details when needed. They have a super fun new benefit dinner that allowed all parents and friends of the school to participate in raffles, eat a great meal and have fun conversations with the outgoing and friendly teachers and staff. Classes are kept small and students receive lots of individual attention. I couldn't be happier with my child's experience at school; she believes school to be a fun and caring place to be. That was exactly the mindset I was hoping she would develop.

Posted April 17, 2013
Astoria Lutheran School provides a wonderful,warm, family oriented learning environment for children of any faith. The small class sizes allow for individualized attention at every grade level, while the creative and diverse atmosphere fuels exciting thematic units which fill the hallways of the school. Parent involvement is 5+ stars. The school also offers early drop off, an after school program, and a summer camp from July- August. The fact that it runs from Nursery to 6th grade offers families the opportunity to see their child grow within a loving school family from ages 3 to 12. Would recommend to any parent looking for a school in Astoria or nearby neighborhood.

Queens Lutheran School 4

Posted February 28, 2013
This is a great small school, especially in lower grades. For pre-K and Kindergarten children, I can not imagine anything better. The class size is small, the teachers are caring and attentive to each child's needs and different personalities. The afterschool program is a totally different story. For pre-K students, there is a separate program, and it is wonderful. Children sing, dance, do art. For K-6 students, the program is a disaster. Children basically run around, with minimum supervision, for 2-3 hours after school. They do homework but very little guidance or supervision is provided. It is really a shame because the school is not big, and there are no more than 10 children in afterschool on any given day, so with 2 adults you would think they would get to do more ... The basic line: Come to this school for small class size, for wonderful teachers, for a sense of community (the pastor is known to grill hot dogs for children himself during the school picnics), and for diversity because school accepts children of all faiths. But when it comes to afterschool, run the other way and find some other childcare options (unless your kid is in Pre-k!)

Posted January 09, 2013
As a Graduate of Queens Lutheran School (Now known as ASTORIA LUTHERAN SCHOOL) Iam proud to say that my daughters currently attend Astoria Lutheran School.. ALS is family oriented The class size is small and the teachers are caring and dedicated. ALS is a wonderful school that provides a Christian education that is important in todays society. I am so happy that Astoria Lutheran School is part of our neighborhood! Louisa Submitted by a parent

Posted April 18, 2010
Sincerely caring staff and teachers who mix a challenging educational program, in a small class size environment, while developing character and moral strength.

Posted April 15, 2010
This is the most caring school I have ever found. My son was in public school, large classes. Most welcoming staff and parents. Great curriculum.

Posted April 14, 2010
This school is the best we have encountered. After we relocated to New York we placed our kids in public school and were very disappointed, it was overcrowded and the school didn't care about the needs of our kids. After reading great reviews about Queens Lutheran School, we visited and met with the staff and realized that this was the place for my son and daughter. They are loving and really care about the educational needs of the students. We appreciate the small class environment. The teachers and staff are superb. Highly recommend it.

Posted April 14, 2010
solid academic work, warm, caring, encouraging environment; teachers bring out the best in their students; Christian values

Queens Lutheran School