Posted July 09, 2015
My son happily goes to school every day. He takes piano classes there and will be starting yoga in the fall. I don't have to get him from school and take him to different classes. The teachers are great and loving. The support staff is warm and helpful. I love the facility. In general it is a warm and cheerful place. I have not had a problem with communication. When I have a question, I call or email and ask questions and the administration answers.

Les Enfants Montessori School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 09, 2015
My son is two and knows the entire alphabet. He can count past 15. He uses correct pronouns and the past tense of verbs correctly.

Posted June 09, 2015
My son has been going to Les Enfants for a few months and we are having a good experience so far. They have been accommodating to his early intervention therapists, who come for appointments every day of the week. The staff is very helpful and loving towards the children. My son really looks forward to going there, and he doesn't want to leave when we come to pick him up :) Email communication about events and such has definitely improved since he started there. I do agree with previous posters that I wish we had more communication with the teachers. We were told parents can call any day at 11 to check on their child. I don't necessarily feel the need to do that, but I would really love an email or progress report from the teacher just to see the kind of things he's working on, what he's doing, what we can do to help at home, etc. Overall, I really like this school, and my son is learning a lot and enjoying himself.

Posted March 03, 2015
My daughter started in January; she has made tremendous progress ; She is happy to go to school everyday; she takes Piano, Ballet,Karate , and Yoga. She loves her new school. The place is clean; and the organization is getting better. Parents get emails with information re the monthly calendar or any sensitive info. I can always talk to my daughters teachers at pick up time if I have any question on how she is doing . They keep the children in the cafeteria at pick up time ; and you are able to go in if you desire. Sounds like a lot of negative reviews are for the administration; but in my personal experience the Director has been polite and has been very helpful with helping our daughter settle in; I can't think of any public school that allows you to roam around freely in the school observing classes or picking up children. I would recommend this school to anyone. We all have different requirements of what we are looking for in a school; I waited a long time to take my daughter here because of all the contradicting reviews ; But I wish I had taken her sooner . She is happy and learning and well taken cared of .
2 people found this helpful

Les Enfants Montessori School 1

Posted March 02, 2015
I am convinced that the high reviews of this school are from the administrators, because this is the most awful, poorly ran, UNORGANIZED school I have ever seen in my life. In my professional opinion, the director and "principal" of this school have had no formal education on how to run a school, and have no clue how to talk to people. The lack of interpersonal skills are alarming, to say the least. Also, the parents are left in a holding cell to collect their children at the end of the day and are not allowed to speak with the teachers (very suspect). While there is a very nice man who works there, Mrs. D'Alonzo and Mrs. Rivera are two of the most disrespectful authority figures I've ever seen who are allowed to work with children. The children seem to be in somewhat satisfactory care with their teachers, but from what I saw from the inside, they are shuffled around all day with out any proper handling or organization. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL! You will regret it.
3 people found this helpful

Posted July 27, 2014
I have had two children attend Les Enfants. They have a gym, two playgrounds, a garden and numerous classes in addition to the curriculum. My children received so much learning during the time they were at the school. The teachers do expect the kids to behave, which is a good thing, so everyone can learn. I've had great interactions with the teachers, my girls were extremely happy.

Posted May 12, 2014
Les Enfants has great processes and is a well-functioning machine that really is focused with kids and Montessori method in mind. However a few aspects keep me form 5-star rating - Principal is regimental abt LIMITED interaction qith active "gating" between parents & teachers. Other than that the quality of teachers is what enables one to set aside this short-coming - they are excellent. On this count I credit the principal for a great eye for talent. So lot of good, sm bad - overall great school

Posted June 28, 2013
I have known the owner and her daughter for a very long time. Both my daughters went there. My oldest made it into the Hunter College High School and is now going to 11th grade. I regret terribly that I took my youngest out too soon. The teachers are excellent and the curriculum is much more advanced than both private and public schools as I have tried both. I highly recommend this school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 23, 2013
Both of my children attend this school and they are cared for and loved. My oldest is in Pre-K is reading at least a first grade level. This is not done through drill and rote (because kids will inherently reject that) but through the Montessori approach to literacy (and numeracy). My toddler loves the environment and comes home signing songs daily. They are happy and bright. The teachers, including the directors, treat the children like family. This includes being warm and creating structure and boundaries - something all children need to thrive. It amazes me that some folks make completely unsubstantiated accusations, but the reason the school has been around for so long is because so many can attest to how their children got a solid academic and social foundational there.

Posted February 22, 2013
My daughter is new to the school, but so far it is great! She is happy to go every day; she is happy when she comes out. She comes home with lots of work to show me and is proud of her work. The parent involvement is good - there are bake sales, holiday shows, a spring fling. It is great! The facility is beautiful. And they have piano, ballet, karate, and other activities during school hours.

Les Enfants Montessori School
29-21 Newtown Avenue, Astoria, NY  11102
Last modified Les Enfants Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-1
Les Enfants Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top