Baldwin, NY
Students enrolled: 1,715

Posted January 12, 2014
I am an active parent of a Baldwin High School student and feel quite concerned about the negative comments the school has received. Remember like any school, the students make the school. It appears to me that the negative ratings and comments are not only based on test scores but on the demographics of the community. Baldwin High School students are 48% African Americans, about 35% White/European Americans, and 17% or less Hispanics. It appears to me that when any school is dominated by a group other than White/European Americans it is classified as an inadequate school. The students in this great diversified community come from families who are classified as professionals. The professionals I'm referring to are doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, and corporate management. The school has a excellent academic agenda with great teachers and subpar teachers, just like any other school, private or public. The parents who have students that attend this institution are extremely active in the community as well as the school. We need to stop classifying a school as a failure or horrible when the demographics in the area is diversified. Baldwin High School is a good school.

Posted April 04, 2013
The academic and administrative staff is great. I have a freshman in the school. The music program is wonderful. The sportsnite tradition is currently 80 yrs old. My daughter has made high honor roll 3 quarters in a row.

Baldwin Senior High School 3

Posted January 06, 2013
As a graduate of Baldwin Senior High School, it's disheartening for me to read the comments below and see just how much the school has declined since I was a student there. Back then, the school's reputation was stellar and deservedly so: teachers were dedicated and fully engaged, and students the vast majority of whom were college-bound truly cared about their grades and their futures. Apart from the excellent academics and wonderful enrichment of after-school activities and clubs, BSHS was always a totally safe place to be. I can't remember there ever being a need for a police presence on school grounds. It's sad for me to know that this is no longer the case. It sounds as if the school has declined markedly since I was a student there; if the numbers of spelling and grammatical mistakes I saw in students' reviews on this site are any indicator, there is some serious work to be done to bring academic standards back up to speed.

Posted December 29, 2012
Baldwin High continues to be a great public high school. The academic and administrative staff is great and will contact the parents if need be. I have two seniors and a junior in the school. The guidance counselor involvement the entire college search and acceptance procedure has been exceptional. The school has had a couple of recent events that have put a cloud over the overall experience but I feel the positive way outweighs the negative.

Posted November 20, 2011
Baldwin I found to be great, i have graduated and i liked BHS, yes it was not perfect,but is any school? It all depends on who talk to. I was not an AP or honors student either. I learned and noticed lots of things some good some bad, yes there were fights but not alot, yes ther has been police precence but that could happen anywhere. IT depends on the students out look, because there really were a lot of opportunities to snach up depnding on what you want to do.

Baldwin Senior High School 2

Posted February 22, 2011
Anyone who says they love this school has spent thier whole time in the AP and honors classes or the music wing. Outside of that there are threats, fights, students who don't care about thier grades or future, and worse teachers who don't care

Posted December 19, 2010
I just graduated this past June. The BSHS is largely what you make of it to the disgruntled teacher below-- I'm sorry that you couldn't handle it, but please don't exaggerate saying you were fearful about "walking to your car", give me a break, as a daughter of two NYC school teachers I'm informed that the occasional disciplinary glitches at Baldwin are nothing too serious, but an excuse to wind up bad press. As a National AP Scholar with Distinction and National Merit Commended student, I have to say that students willing to work hard and learn will get so much out of their experience at Baldwin. I have had some of the best teachers of my life at Baldwin; the opportunities are there, you just have to seek them out. I came to BSHS after 9 years at a totally White Irish Catholic school-- I'm pretty certain that the diverse experience I gained from Baldwin is priceless and vastly surpasses experiences of my peers in private high schools. The music program is also top notch!

Baldwin Senior High School 1

Posted May 22, 2010
I am a former teacher of Baldwin H.S. I stayed one year and ran as fast as I could. The principal and two of the asst principals are completely and utterly ineffective. I have no idea what one of them does, besides hang around in the Guidance office. Student insubordination is overlooked,no rules are enforced and the halls can be dangerous. Teachers have been injured during fights. Several times I was afraid to walk to my car, but the administration wants to hide of this and pretend that it is still the high performing school is was in the 80's. Those days are over, and Baldwin needs more security like they have in Uniondale , Roosevelt and Hempstead. Teachers are are silenced when the try to speak up, and the union is useless. I would send my child to private school if I could, or try to move out of Baldwin.

Posted August 10, 2009
Pros: Excellent teachers, athletics, art/music programs, exceptional business/internship opportunities and a wide variety of academic options. A place where diversity & excellence is modelled. Cons: The school functions well despite its dysfunctional & incompetent principal. The students do not know her; she is just not visible in the morning or during the school day! Discipline is inconsisent and recent police presence in the building is not warranted and reflect a non-necessary negative tone.

Baldwin Senior High School 5

Posted May 29, 2009
the best school to come to and the best teacher in the county

Baldwin Senior High School
841 Ethel T Kloberg Drive, Baldwin, NY  11510
Last modified Baldwin Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Baldwin Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top