St. Francis De Sales School

Private | PK-8 | 460 students

Student diversity

Living in Belle Harbor

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $518,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Sweep tile

Posted October 2, 2008

As a past-parent (2 children who graduated StFDS) & went on to Catholic High Schools & College, graduating at the top of their class, we, as parents, are proud of our children's accomplishments and their commitment for personal best, and thank St. Francis, a caring community school. God Bless of St. Francis

Posted December 20, 2007

I have 2 children in St. Francis and I am extremely satisfied with their program. The principal knows every child in the school by name and the teachers all give 110%. Additionally, the warm small-town atmosphere helps the children feel comfortable and places them in a learning environment, free from distractions. Well-done St. Francis!

Posted December 13, 2007

This school is excellent. we learn a lot but we also have fun at the same time. the teachers are amazing. they know so much. this school gives off a very warm feeling. we have a fine discipline system and a great curriculum.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 6, 2007

I don't agree with the review about being overcrowded. The school has 2 classes of some grades & 3 classes in others. So where they came up with 35 kids in a class I don't know. My daughter is in 2 grade and I love it. She has 27 kids in her class. The teachers are great she is doing well. I recently pulled her out of the public school in my area and was a little concerned regarding the curriculum. St francis is very Family orientated And the parents can get involved & help out The teachers & pricipal knows all the children & parents. Where I did not find that to be so in the public school. The work is all the same if you compare it to the public schoo it is just taught differently and at different times. My pick is St. francis over PS114 any day

Posted October 1, 2007

I have a son currently in 2nd grade; he also completed K and 1st at SFDS. We have been quite impressed with the curriculum, and the quality and dedication of the teachers we have had. The school is family-oriented and shares our values. We feel our son is getting a good education academically and morally. Other points: There are 25 children in his class. They have Spanish Class, Computer Class, Library. They are lacking in the Music/Arts area, however that can be outsourced as an extracurricular activity.

Posted April 5, 2007

I currently have 1 child in the 1st grade. I disagree with the other review of overcrowded classes. Last year in kindergarten my daughter had 23 kids in her class, this year she has 27 children in her class. I think the teachers are wonderful and most importantly very involved and in the know with our children. Many friends of mine are Public School teachers and tell me that St. Francis is up to par with their curriculum.

Posted September 23, 2006

This school is okay. The school is well kept.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 7, 2006

This school is overcrowded...the children are stuffed in classes of 35-40 student how can anybody teach or learn under those circumstances? My son is in K there and the quality of education is terrible. I already have him registered elsewhere for next year. I will not waste another year of his education at this overrated school.

• Patricia A. Chelius
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious