No rating

John F Kennedy Elementary School

Public | K-3 | 470 students

Posted August 1, 2013

Great School, should be awarded a Blue Ribbon and Rate 10. Principal, Staff very Professional,Attentive and Accommodating.

Posted May 26, 2011

In December 2005, we moved from the Bronx to Putnam County with our 4 children. My son attended JFK Elementary from 2005 - 2009 and my daughter currently attends kindergarten. The level of communication between parents and teachers and parents and the administration is unlike anything I ever experienced in the city. My son had an IEP and was just recently declassified as speech and language impaired. I credit the Brewster school system with helping my son to accomplish this. They pushed him forward when they thought he could handle it and held back when they felt that was what he needed. Moving to Putnam County's Brewster School District was one of the best decisions we've ever made.

Posted February 11, 2006

we have a kindergartener there and she loves it.

Posted June 26, 2005

I am extremely happy with JFK, as are my two children. The teachers and wonderful and I can't say enough about the Principal. My children have learned a tremendous amount and love going to school each day!

Posted April 5, 2005

My husband and I visited approximately 10-15 private schools prior to enrolling our then six years old son at JFK. We thought it was the most nurturing and progressive of the schools we visited. We do not regret the decision to place Chris in the public school. The principal, and all school personnel, are very receptive to parents' concerns and ideas. My husband and I wanted a challenging setting for Chris but we also wanted a school that dealt with the individual needs of each child. Chris was very shy, active and anxious when he first entered JFK. By participating in the social group, the class oral presentations, voluntary challenge tests and other activities, Chris has become a very social and secure 8 year old. Our 4 year old will enter the school in September. We have yet to regret foregoing the private schools for JFK.

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

2014

2013

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

2014

2013

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

Master's degree and above 50%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

31 Foggintown Rd