Brewster, NY

Posted April 11, 2009
Next year will be my last year at Melrose. I am quite sad about it. Ive loved it since, kindergarten. My expieriences here have been wonderful. The language program is fantastic. I can basically speak fluent french. The only thing I dislike is the choice of only french and spanish. The headmaster is very involved with us, she even teaches an elective! I am going to miss Melrose greatly.

Posted March 28, 2006
My child is in Kindergarten. The Kindergarten teacher is terrific, and my daughter has thrived under her care. It is my understanding from the other Kindergarten parents that they feel the same way about the teacher. Melrose is a small school and, as such, my child knows children in all the grades. The Kindergarteners are each assigned an 8th grade buddy, and this has been a wonderful way for my child to feel welcomed and a real part of the whole school. Melrose prides itself on the character of its children; the children are universally courteous and kind.

Posted November 14, 2005
As a parent sending two children to the Melrose School, I can attest to the high quality of the academic program, the extracurricular activities and the small-school environment for children. The families who send their children here really care about their children's education beyond the basic R's. This is a community of people who want their children to thrive as leaders and as members of the community. Melrose offers something most schools do not- a spiritual education- based on Judeo-Christian values and open to students of all religious denominations.

Melrose School 4

Posted January 08, 2005
The school environment is warm and friendly. My children are eager to go to school in the morning. The students in the upper common are encouraged to engage the lower common children and I see this building a great sense of community among the children. I do have some concerns regarding curriculum but have found that the head of school is willing to listen to parent conserns, however I am waiting to see what action will be taken regarding some specific issues. As with any private school the environment conserning current education innovation seems a bit stagnant in some areas. I think the students would benefit if the teachers kept abreast of more current teaching and disciplining techniques. Keeping in mind the fiscal realities of private schools educational information is readily available through nationally recognized education websites at little or no cost. Parent involvement is not encouraged in most classrooms.

Posted April 28, 2004
My daugter is going into the 2nd grade and my son is going into the Pre k-4 this September. My daughter has had a wonderful 2 years in the Melrose School. The academics are wonderful, sports, and most of all the staff. They bring out the strenghs of your child and try to bring confidence to thier weakness. The school offers a lot of extra curriular activities after school, which I think is a big bonus. The Melrose School is a close nit community and is a wonderful environment to raise your children in.

Melrose School