Girls Preparatory Charter School of the Bronx

Charter | K-2 | 301 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

My daughter attends this school and I love it... The teachers and staff all help in encouraging and supporting the girls to strive for higher education and preparing them for the real world. The teachers keeps you inform of your child's progress and this school also provides help to students that need it... Keep up the good work GPB...

Posted March 25, 2014

"Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge, and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university". This is the Girls Prep model as posted on their site. As the parent of 2nd grader, I have to say that the school stands behind that statement. They offer a rich curriculum that challenges each scholar on an academic and behavioral level. They teach the girls Merit, Responsibility, Scholarship and Sisterhood. Qualities that will follow them in life's journey. They believe in Parent-School Partnership and value parents input, which I feel is necessary for the success of each of their scholars. I can't say anything negative about Girls Prep since I only have the highest praise for the school. My daughter is thriving at the school and each year she looks forward to another year at the school. I just wish NYC would have more schools like Girls Preps available, so that all children regardless of their status would have the opportunity to receive the same type of education that all Girls Prep Scholars receive. I am grateful and happy to have the school in my community.

Posted March 20, 2014

5+ stars for this extraordianry school. I am confident my daughter is kept safe and always challenged for a higher learning. Her teachers as well as the rest of the staff are wonderful. They smile and full of compassion/dedication. When my daughter/other students walk in they are greeted by name as individuals. I have no complaints other than waking up super early to get to school on time ! (we know its for our own good) :) We absolutely love GPBX and could not ask for more

Posted March 19, 2014

My daughter is a student a girls prep and I love the school. I love the fact that the school supports sisterhood and each classroom is named after and awesome woman. The values and curriculum is awesome.

Posted March 13, 2014

i love girls prep my daughter is doing so well in the school. The teachers are doing a great job they are always available for parents.The environment is welcoming they make the parents feel like we are one family a whole big community.I like how the school not only teaches them what is expected in school they also teach them core values that a young girl should learn, scholarship, merit ,sisterhood and responsibility. I love this school and so glade i found it for my daughter.

Posted December 18, 2013

I absolutely love this school. I am thankful my daughter was accepted to this school , I feel that teachers and staff take part in them to really understand you daughters academically and personal levels. My daughter has advanced so much she started in kindergarten when this school just opened now she's in the fourth grade . Honestly is a little far from home but it's worth it for my daughter education. They always so attentive to my daughters need and am always aware of my daughter's progress. Also they teach our girls core values how to respect one another and must I say my daughter has learned to write some well convincing apology letters .

Posted September 30, 2013

I have been looking for a good school for my daughter since the last school she experienced bullying (P.S 5X) I have nothing bad to say about this school in fact there are not enough stars to show how satisfied I am. Currently the school is an all girls school which goes up to the 5th Grade, but if all goes well it will be a middle school as well. It is truly a preparatory school (even though it is a Charter school) and they are expecting all of the girls to excel. The girls core values are Scholarship, Merit and Responsibility and sisterhood. The girls practice Yoga and the school excels in the Performing Arts element. The Principal is very friendly and easy to approach and in whole I can tell that they care about our girls. (Home away from home) The school advises all parents to open up a 529 plan and in return the school matches our contributions. The school will also throw $$ into our girls 529 plan if we volunteer 20 hours throughout the school year and other productive and positive ways. Again, I do not have enough words to say how grateful that my daughters name was pulled to be able to attend this school.

Posted April 23, 2013

My daughter is at the end of her Kindergarten year at Girls Prep. She increased her vocabulary, speech, math ability and social skills. Her teachers are firm, loving and have high expectations for her. I am so happy with the school and the administration. My daughter is not just a name when she walks in the building, she is a unique person who is taught and cared for at the the level I expect. I was a little disappointed with the schools the 3rd grade received on their citywide test, but understand that this is the 1st year for testing and that there will be bumps in the road. This is not a school for everyone, the teachers are a bit strict, but I feel it encourages the girls to concentrate. Overall we are really pleased and happy to return next year.

Posted December 30, 2011

My daughter is in her 3rdroom year st Girlsprep, so far so good. The staggered and principal are dedicated. The girls are in a safe learning environment. My daughter is learning and doing well. Long may it last!

Posted November 30, 2011

This is going into my daughter's 3rd year at this school. And we both LOVE this school so much. The teachers, the staff and the Principal work so hard with each student their family individually (as a team) together to help each girl succeed. I can't say enough good things about this place my daughter goes to each day. THANK YOU so much Girls Prep Bronx!!!

Posted September 1, 2011

Girls Prep is a great school. Sometimes i feel like there to hard on the girls but in the long run everything is for there best. My daughter has been with them from the very first day since she was in first grade and now she in third grade and i would not take her out of that school for nothing in the world. All of the school staff is great.

Posted July 3, 2011

i want my child get good education. she's very smart . she's hard worker. she's friendl she's very curious she love learn

Asian 0% 9%

Master's degree and above 4%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 311 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

9.1

8.4

8.8

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

9.2

8.5

8.6

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.3

7.6

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.4

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents27582%
Teachers3692%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

681 Kelly St