Posted June 22, 2014
I must add that MOST of the teachers are great & stay on task in spite of administration. Thank God for those that do otherwise I couldn't imagine what the day to day would be like. Kids First People not our own agendas. We need to let our kids know that they can make change and lift us to a higher level of moral and educational fortitude.VNA should stand for Voices Not Appreciated or Voices Not Answered. Administration is truly not concerned despite the efforts of the parents to make the school more of a parent friendly environment. We are invited to events and made to feel unwelcome. Many parents opt to stay under the radar and in some ways I wish I had, as having chosen the path of involvement has definitely cost my child . But we are not the kind to give in to demands of mediocrity and submissiveness under duress. It's truly scary to send your child to school everyday knowing that the principal is a BULLY, you have to constantly weigh the cost and the value of the proposed outcome. But standing up for change is priceless. Thank you for reading my posts. And if you are a parent interested in VNA please do so with caution you have been forewarned. BTW my child has a 3.9 avg.

Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy 4

Posted January 25, 2014
This school is good, but it gives a lot of Homework (about 1-3 hours) everyday and on the weekends they give even more. Also, some of the staff at this school are really nice but others are rude and dont teach well enough. if you dont do the homework, or accidentally forget to do eve one homework, you get detention right away. it a school rule they have. Another thing is they have a section sheet where they mark by your name if you were talking, playing around, not doing work, etc. if you get 3 marks you automatically have detention. But this school is not all bad, i liked it here because i made friends and some teachers were funny, but there were some things that werent fun.

Posted November 23, 2013
Congratulations VNA! I just read the newest school "report card" and Van Nest received an A! This is not at all surprising to me, My daughter was in the first graduating class last year and the education she received was top notch. She is attending a private high school in Manhattan and she was more than prepared by the teachers at VNA to tackle a rigorous high school curriculum. I am so grateful that I chose VNA for my daughter's middle school years. The atmosphere in VNA is welcoming, the principal is hands on and her staff is dedicated. .We miss the school, but I am forever grateful for the experiences we had there! Keep up the excellent work!

Posted October 08, 2013
So far so GOOD! My daughter is a new middle school student and has adjusted really well within the first few weeks @ VNA. There are many extracurricular activities to get involved in - grade specific "dances", glee club, cheerleading, chess club and a library group just to name a few. I am definitely impressed with the amount of homework my daughter receives regularly as well as the school's uniform policy. VNA has vowed to go green and encourages students/parent/staff to use the internet to stay in the loop with your child's academic progress, touch base and to reach out whenever necessary. My daughter speaks highly of her teachers and is very comfortable with her classmates. The school is very engaging and the principal is actually within reach! Since the first day of school I have seen her EVERY morning at the front door greeting students and anyone else who graces the doorstep at VNA. This has been a very positive experience and I cannot imagine what lies ahead as VNA has been full of so much ingenuity thus far. M. Foust-Dent

Posted September 10, 2013
Now I am in the eighth grade in VNA and now the second graduating class, overall I used to think the teachers were so rude, but then I realized that all they were doing is helping us in order to be successful in the next path ahead of us. I do miss many of my teachers from the 6-7th grades but now I have more advanced curriculum, they are preparing us for high school, so yeah sometimes they need to be strict because if you were a parent, wouldnt you want your child ready for the next grade with passing marks and goes onto an amazing high school when having a not so amazing teacher, than have a failing child with failing marks. Overall my experience was amazing here at VNA and it will always be a part of my heart forever. Class of 2014.

Posted November 13, 2012
I have been so dissapointed in this school. The principal, assistant principal and some of the teachers are rude, not friendly, and not helpful at all. They have never been willing to help me the parent nor my child. Whenever i get a call from a staff member it is always so stressful and frustating. These people should not be working with children. If i feel this way as a parent imagine how my child feels. This school needs a full overhaul! The whole staff needs to be replaced with people who actually care and have the best interest of the children and parents. i dread taking my child to school. I can't say that my child has learned anything since attending this school. This is a shame. Something must be changed or this school will keep failing our children. P.S. the only friendly staff memebers are the security guards. They always great me and my child with a smile.

Posted March 01, 2012
If you enjoy mediocracy, then this is the school for you and your child. After reading some of the stellar reviews this school received, and picking myself up off the floor, I questioned whether it was actually school personnel writing the reviews and posting them as parents. My opinions reflect those of my child in the middle school. The principal is condescending, the vice-principal lacks leadership, the school social worker is unprofessional and I despise the "buddy" or teacher acting as a "friend" to the students.

Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy 3

Posted January 23, 2012
i am a 7 grader at vna and i can say that this school is not a dream come true. when students think middle school they think lockers, independence, more friends. but yea you do get to meet new people but the kids mostly stick with their friends so you should have someone you are always gonna be friends with because it's harder to make friends especially if you coming mid-semester. like in elementary school you still have boys line girls line and teachers not even letting out of the room by yourself. there are no lockers just closets like elementary school. the rules in this school are pretty good but if someone goes over the limit just a little they get strict, such as a BR incident we had almost 2 months ago we still cannot go to the BR without signing at the security desk. this is a no bullying school but there still is name calling and "joking around" but major fights don't happen. overall the school is NORMAL. nothing too special. i am in seventh grade and honestly, i think most of the students here come to school every day more to spend time with friends than to learn and be educated.

Posted December 14, 2011
I love this school!!!!!!! <3 <3 the teachers are nice, and r good to joke around (like they r really friednly there like friends to the students, and u feel like u can discuss anything with them) and it really feels like a second family. this is a no bullying school, which means NO ONE will get bullied. i admit my first day i was scared but everyone was super nice and now i have a ton of friends i m in the the 7 grade presently and top of my class. :D, any one who has a complaint, u should try thinking its yourself becuase everyone truly loves this school. sure there r a little bumps but nothing is perfect. the principal is super supportive and if u introduce a problem to her she gets to the bottom of it right away. we live in a caring envionment and since we spened most of the time were awake at school it should be that way. never once had i had to complaint and i never will. there r so many opportunies at this school. all of the teachers teach and care, and make learning fun. i used to be queit and shy but now i have spoken up, smiling all the time. VNA has changed me. this isn't like your normal school nowadays, u don't find anything that will encourge your child to do negative.

Posted September 11, 2011
i love this school --it's been one year my daugther enter this school-she loves to wake up in the morning and rushing me as the parent out of the house. my daugther tells me-mom please i don't want to be absent from school. i am happy and the principal-staffs and teachers are very friendly and the school is super clean i'll give this school a 5 stars-great teaching too especially in reading!!!!

Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy
1640 Bronxdale Avenue, Bronx, NY  10462
Last modified Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-4, 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top