Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Because is clean, and Also safe, the teachers and stuff are great, the principal always very responsable with the student always on top on how the school is doing, love it

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

the only thin they do consistently is beat into these kids is inclusion, maybe a little to much.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

I strongly believe that the school is declining from the top down. Look at the schools report card for the past three years, basically trending downward in all areas. The principal has poor interpersonal skills and presents herself in a poor disheveled manner. Very unapproachable. Fake to the core.

Develops character: Disagree

the school is petty and like candy looks good on the outside but it is full of bad ingredients.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Like everywhere some are good and some are poor

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

No hw, tests or projects come back home for review.

I have been a part of this school for 4 years now, part of the pta for 3 years. The school is declining. The school is disorganized. The communication between teachers & parents are non existent. They are forcing parents to use a computer based app called pupil path instead of just sending home good old fashion notes & tests results. The last thing as working parent need is to cook, do hw with children, study with them, go through their bags for any scant relevant information then now to log on to a computer to find out how they are doing - not feasible. The principal is very off putting & unapproachable. She has a poor (fake) attitude for dealing with parents & lacks any form of empathy. This sympathy is also iterated to me by my child as well as other parents. I will say for the first two years (pre pupil path) the school was fine. The school is declining, big time. I take a very active roll in the education of my child & the school is putting up a failed barrier in my effort to stay involved. Parents are signing a petition against pupil path. I have left multiple messages to the school that have gone unanswered. There is no way for parents to express concerns about the school or the teachers. The pta is merely a way for the school to generate money, nothing else and thy wonder why 10 parents show up for meetings. When I was a child going to school in the Bronx my parents didn't have to by any supplies for me to attend class, now they give you a laundry list of supplies that you must buy for them to attend class,a $100 worth (paper, pencils, markers and the such.)Parents with multiple children have to dread the first day of school. Why in the 70's and 80's was public education free? All the principal states is that there is no money. They throw bake, book, candle, cookie dough, candy sales & other various fund raisers every month asking for more & more money. The school trips are horrible. We live in NYS and they choose a trip destination of APPLEBEEs for an educational trip for $14 a pop. What happened to the statue of liberty & museums. The teachers seem extremely confined & over worked with so much more than just educating our children. I absolutely intend on removing my child from this school as soon as I can. It would be great if they had one person, one meeting at this school where they can address parents concerns but they do not. #Lookelsewhere

My grandson has been in this school since opening. He is now in 6th grade and doing great.

My daughter attends kindergarten here and I plan on keeping her here until she graduates the 8th grade. Her kindergarten teacher is absolutely amazing. The school allows you sign up for email alerts and teachers include assignments, activities for the day, school closures, what's due, etc. The school has a great set up and reward good behavior with their ecobuck system and "traffic light" system in the class. They also have an honor society and again with the continue positive reinforcent of God behavior and grades. They also have Saturday academy for certain grades. My daughter attended catholic school for preschool and I can positively say that this schools disciplinary codes, uniform requirements and firm/intelligent/caring teachers have both of her previous schools beat :-)

I must add that MOST of the teachers are great & stay on task in spite of administration. Thank God for those that do otherwise I couldn't imagine what the day to day would be like. Kids First People not our own agendas. We need to let our kids know that they can make change and lift us to a higher level of moral and educational fortitude.VNA should stand for Voices Not Appreciated or Voices Not Answered. Administration is truly not concerned despite the efforts of the parents to make the school more of a parent friendly environment. We are invited to events and made to feel unwelcome. Many parents opt to stay under the radar and in some ways I wish I had, as having chosen the path of involvement has definitely cost my child . But we are not the kind to give in to demands of mediocrity and submissiveness under duress. It's truly scary to send your child to school everyday knowing that the principal is a BULLY, you have to constantly weigh the cost and the value of the proposed outcome. But standing up for change is priceless. Thank you for reading my posts. And if you are a parent interested in VNA please do so with caution you have been forewarned. BTW my child has a 3.9 avg.

Last modified Ps Ms 498 Van Nest Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.