Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I love this school, My college freshman graduated from this school and now my two young ones attend also. I currently use ENGRADE to communicate with teachers , which i highly recommend. You are able to view your child's grades, attendance and feedback by emails. School saftey knows the children by their name. I have known most of the staff there for over 13 years and most of them are still currently there, which says alot of about their leadership skills. The school currently holds numerous afterschool programs. Once a parent gets involved in school , staff and teachers tend to not forget your name and your support.

I appreciate the staff and faculty of P.S. 279. My daughter is in 7th grade and her teachers are thorough and include me in every step of her education. I like the fact that I can communicate with any of her teachers at any given time through email, or engrade.com Her teachers from last year. Ms. Carpenter, Ms. Rivera and Ms. Jackson were helpful and showed a real concern when my daughter's grades were slipping and together we worked towards her passing her grades and being promoted to 7th grade. I also am happy that Mrs. Dalton is the principle with clear vision for P.S. 279

Horrible principal!! J Waslowski is rude and cheating the children by not allowing the teachers to properly teach. I will be moving my child at the end of this year.

I think the school size and the shaped it was made into is really nice. There's enough space for everyone, maybe except the auditorium which is pretty small. I also like the fact that they'll be reconstructing the playground and putting more fun stuff on it so they could play.

I heard exciting things about this school moving from out of state. My child's 1st grade teacher Ms. Masong is an incredible teacher. Her techniques in teaching, communication, coaching, learning and discipline are exactly in line as to what I want as a parent. The administration seems unorganized, delivers late notices of events and does not seem to take into consideration of 'working parents' to attend such events. More control is need for the older children 6-8 grade and more division from the little ones who need more supervision. 2 out of 10 staff/faculty appear to be friendly or concerned with your child or needs. Too many notices come home with too many changes in the beginning of the year. My only choice to keep my child in this school is taking her 1st grade teacher with me to the other school.

My children have been in this school for more then 6 years. I even had a child who graduated with a low grades. This school claims to help children learn,(lies). Most of the staff has left, now we have young teachers teaching. The school from the outside looks great but behind doors is not. Parents open your eyes, only a few staff care for our children. This school is over crowded.

Last modified Ps 279 Capt Manuel Rivera Jr is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.