Ps 76 The Bennington School

Public | K-5 | 1045 students

Posted July 12, 2013

This is a wonderful school. The academic programs and resources available to the students are phenomenal. One of the very few schools in the Bronx with a fully functional music and arts program. I could not have asked for a greater primary school experience.

Posted August 28, 2011

My son has attended this school since K-011 and is now in 3-301. He has thrived as a young boy and I am proud to say his eduation here has been wonderful. His teacher in second grade , Ms. Cortese, was a wonderful teacher. I gave her an unsure little boy , she returned to me a confident young boy full of self worth. The only suggestion for this school would be that there should be more activities for the parents to join in AFTER WORK hours. I was very dissapointed when I missed his spring concert because it was held during the day. Overall , My husband and I are very content with the education our child is recieving.

Posted December 8, 2010

My daughter graduates this year after being there since kindergarten. Sha has had some wonderful teachers and the Principal is always on the ball. Another great thing is their music programs,,,I just wish It went all the way up to the 8th grade,,Staff and teachers will all be greatly missed!

Posted November 1, 2010

I went to P.S. 76 & I have great memories of that school. I made friends I'll never forget. The staff, teachers & enviroment were one of a kind. I'd love to know if my former teachers still teach there. I graduated in 1987

Posted October 13, 2010

P.S.76 is an excellent school and was given a grade of A from the NYC DOE for the last 3 years. We were awarded the Broad prize for excellence and we partner with different entities to help provide our children with a well rounded education. For example, by working with Education Through Music, we have put on plays, one of which (The Castaways) was invited to perform at the Waldorf Astoria for a big fundraiser there. The children not only performed a part of the play but they also had the opportunity to perform with Joshua Bell, a world renowned violinist. We also started a band program (this is our 2nd year) and it has been a great success. Where most band programs have 6-10 band members, our band at P.S.76 had over 80 band members. And because we are active in our community, we marched in the Bronx parade and so impressed Borough President Ruben Diaz that the band was invited to a local show on Bronxnet for an interview and perfomance. The children and parents at P.S. 76 work very hard to maintain and exceed everyone's expectations. And although we are a top school, we are constantly striving for better and more effective teaching methods. And our parents support is unsurpassed. We have a Parents' Association that works to help supplement events so that children in the lower economic range will be able to participate. We are a well rounded, public school that, in my opinion, shows others how it can be done. P.S. 76 ROCKS!!

Posted October 13, 2010

I was a student at this school in the early 1960's and it was progressive even back then. I was one of the first students who were taught Italian in the 4th grade by Mrs. Tronconi and had music with Ms. Connie St. John - those two teachers opened my eyes to a whole new world and I am so grateful I had such wonderful teachers in elementary school.

Posted April 19, 2010

This is an excellent school & the teacher go above and beyond to teacher the students at this school. All the teachers strive to make all their students lifetime learners and achieve their full potential.

Posted January 30, 2010

p.s 76 is a excellent school the staff help me alot with my daughter

Posted November 25, 2009

Excellent public school, with caring, consistent and professional administrators and teachers. The school continues to engage parents, work with partners who introduce the Arts to enhance the schools offerings and overall academic performance. All three of my children have attended and it's as close as you can get to a great education outside of a private school setting. Ms. Sedotto, Ms. Humphrey and Ms. Cioffi continually raise the bar as did former principal, Ms. Rogan.

Posted August 31, 2009

My son attended this school for three years before we moved and had a wonderful education there. The principal is friendly and involved. The acedemic events (like publishing parties) are encouraging. Ps 76 is a great school!

Posted January 5, 2009

My son just started this school in Sept and I think its a great improvement compared to the last school my son attended. I feel his current teacher is more involved and she cares about the future of her students. Ms. M (a parent)

Posted August 4, 2008

I loved this school, I am so much thankful for the great job was done during 2007-2008 year, that was mys son's first year in this school and his teacher made a great job, my son learned a lot; of course we as parents have to make our part in the learning process of our children....

Posted April 11, 2008

not a good school !! no displine for misbehaved children the first week my son came home witha bruise from unruly classmate teacher does not care .. hes board in class and hates school now thanks for making his 1st year in school horrid

Posted March 27, 2008

I have 3 children who has attended PS 76 since k. My oldest just graduated last year. And my other son graduates this year and I have my baby just started this year. The school has never taken the kids on enough educational trips. They dont do any school plays and do not educate more on black history. I have never like the school but its closest to my home. And they need to wear cap n gowns for once at graduation. I dont like that all grades enter the school the same way because I find me or my daughter who is 5 yrs old always get pushed out the way by kids just running by. Where is the protection for the younger children?

Posted December 13, 2007

School is very on point and they have the childs best intrest in hand. I love the communication with the students and parents.

Posted August 27, 2007

My daughter attended this school she had a bueatiful time attending this school and to b honest with u I would prefer this school aposed to the private school in the same area. Public is better especially to thoes tryin and really can't afford private. To tell u the truth it's all what u put into it. The teachers the are wonderful I must admitt. Go Mrs. Casserie and Keagn just to name a few. Note to parents: It' take more than the teacher to teach your child and if both sides work the sky is the limit for all our kids. Good lick this year in school 07'

Posted July 15, 2006

My daughter is goingtinto the 5th grade . We both love the teachers and the staff at 76

Posted March 18, 2004

First impressions are everlasting. My first impression of the school was a very good one. The principal was very understanding, helpful and straight to the point. The afterschool program works great, especially for working mothers and fathers. My son always went to private which was very expensive, and there have always been no less than 30 kids per class. At P.S. 76 there were only 23 kids in the first grade class. The school is great!

Posted January 6, 2004

My daughter is currently in second grade and so far I am pleased with the way the school is being administered by Ms. Rogan and staff. The teachers that my daughter have had in the past are great and the one she has now is an excellent teacher too. Keep up the good work.

Posted January 4, 2004

P.S 76 Is a great school. The class size is kinda big. That can be stressful for our children. But the over all setting the children get a good education at P.S 76. Come and see for your self!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

170 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students19%

General population12%
Proficient in English12%
Non-migrant11%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students24%

General population14%
Proficient in English15%
Non-migrant12%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 49%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 711 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.6

8.4

7.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.7

8.7

8.5

6.7

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.7

8.4

7.0

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Teachers6286%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. LOUISE SEDOTTO

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

900 Adee Ave