P.S. 83 Donald Hertz

Public | K-8 | 1718 students

Posted December 10, 2012

I was a student at P.S. 83 from K - 8. All I have to say about this school is this: I graduated from this school a couple of years ago, so maybe things have changed, but, while I was there I witnessed so many horrible things. The bullying was relentless. I was bullied so much, that it felt like I didn't have a voice. I couldn't defend myself. And the one time I did, I got punched in the face, and the staff did nothing about it. They did nothing to help me. They said I provoked the other student. I was so ashamed of what I was going through. I was once surrounded by a bunch of older students during the winter, who had been bothering me since the beginning of my 4th grade year. The confrontation ended with them throwing snow in my face. I was so depressed in that school, that I contemplated suicide in 7th grade. But I knew in time, I'd be out of there. Once I graduated, things eventually got better. I became happy again. If your child ever complains about this school, ask them what's wrong. If they tell you they've been bullied take them out of that school immediately. No matter how good you think the school is, it's not worth losing your child. Not all children are as strong as I.

Posted July 27, 2012

P.S. 83 is probably one of if not the best K-8 schools in The Bronx. Located in The beautiful Morris Park section of The Bronx on a clean tree-lined block. The school prepares students for not only the rigors of regular high school but also specialized high schools for those students who are viewed to be able to handle that work load. The teachers there are great, patient and eager to help children to reach there full potential at this level. The extracurricula activities are outstanding (basketball teams, music, dance, soccer etc.). You get a good vibe of a loving environment when you step into this building from everybody from the security guards all the way to the principal. The principal Mrs. Macek is the perfect picture of what the new DOE lacks, she is loving to her staff to her parents and to her students, she's always excessable when you need to meet with her, just the picture and model of what a principal should be like. My child is in the 4th grade at the school, tops in her class, trust me I wouldn't send my child just anywhere, she's in the best school in The Bronx for here level. Check the school out for yourself don't believe me you won't be sorry you did!

Posted November 28, 2010

My son has attended this school from Kindergarten to 4th grade so far and he has had exceptional teachers. They communicate with parents through email, phone or note sent home and I value communication skills. I have considered moving to NJ where schools give kids better chances for college, but I am happy with this school so far. I will be watching for the 5th through 8th grades as well.

Posted September 21, 2010

My daughter has been in this school since the third grade and I am very happy with their performance. My experience with the teachers has been nothing short of positive and my daughter has maintained a 95 average so far and she is in her last year (8th grade). I am proud to say she attends this school.

Posted September 16, 2010

THIS IS A TERRIBLE SCHOOL,, THE TEACHES FROM WHEN MY SON WAS THERE 8YRS AGO WERE A LITTLE OLDER AND VERY PATIENT ,,MORE MATURE AND THEY TRIED TO HELP HIM SUCCEED AND OVER HIS PROBLEMS WITH READING AND MATH. MY DAUGHTER ATTENDS THIS SCHOOL NOW AND SHE IS A 93 AVERAGE STUDENT SMART AND VERY RESPECTFUL,,ONLY IF YOU SPEAK TO HER THE RIGHT WAY..THESE TEACHES SCREAM AND YELL AT THESE KIDS LIKE THEY ARE DOGS , ANIMALS. THEY ARE LETTING GOOD TEACHERS GO AND PUTTING YOUNG HOT HEAD TEACHERS WITH MO HAWKS AND TATTOOS AND TEACHER WHO DRESS LIKE THEY ARE ON 42ND STREET LOOK TO PICK UP A MAN..ITS TERRIBLE THEY WAY THIS SCHOOL HAS GOTTEN SO BAD. I WISH EVERYONE;S KIDS THE BEST OF LUCK IN THIS SCHOOL..

Posted August 23, 2010

My son graduated 2 yrs ago and my daughter just graduated valedictorian. With the preparation that my daughter received, she was accepted to 2 boarding, private Better Chance schools which top, strong academic students are selected nationwide. Not many public schools can prepare students for something like that. However, I wish the school went K-12 b/c PS 83 is an excellent school. Leadership is very tight, parent coordinator and PA is very involved and most teachers are great and they have a ton of activities not only for students but for parents equally. They have events whether it's dances for students, trips, workshops, fun (movie and games) family nights and dances for parents as well as fund raisers, the school is fenominal all around. This school work like a family and they do everything possible to reach out to parents for involvement. EXCELLENT school.

Posted June 28, 2010

Excellent school. Excellent leadership, Principal does an excellent job at running the school in a structured, organized manner. Teachers are caring and great professionals. definetly one of the best school I have encountered. I am a proud parent of a student of PS 83

Posted June 22, 2010

I'll give this school 5stars because my daughter went to this school and she met a whole bunch of friends.

Posted May 5, 2010

I love PS 83 school because the teachers do care that the kids learn. Both my kids were reading in kindergarden. Now my son is 7 and can read and write much better than most 10 year olds that he knows. The work assignments are always high levels and kids are learning a whole lot at an early age. It is important to start good reading and writing skills. PS 83 works hard to make sure kids get a great education. Keep up the great work..

Posted April 29, 2010

It's a close knit community where everyone has a sense of pride and connection to one another!

Posted November 3, 2009

My daughter will be a 2010 graduate of P.S 83. I have heard many stories over the years some good and some not so good but, I must say the staff and teachers work closely with the parents and students to provide a safe and healthy learning enviorment for our children. Those parents that in tune with their child will agree! Overall I am glad to have made the choice of PS 83 for my child. Don't second guess!

Posted April 9, 2009

This school is a really good school. All the teachers and staff are really nice and the students get a really good education. I have never had a problem with anything in PS 83. The PTA do a good job in keeping everyone up to date. The school has fun trips, nice dances, and everyone there is very nice. I rate Ps 83 as a 5 star school.

Posted March 14, 2009

4 stars this is a school that is always involving parents and my grandson is more proud of me for pasrticipating with him

Posted November 6, 2008

Not only is this a great school. It has great teachers as well. especially my 7th grade teacher Mr.Alioto. His math class was a wonderful experience. I will carry this experience with me all my life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 29, 2008

I like the school over all, they seem above average for the older kids, as far as little kids go,I don't think safety is average at all, that is my biggest gripe. I am the mom of a 5 year old, also they are very very lax in communication with the parent

Posted August 15, 2008

I agree with the other two parents who wrote about the rudeness and disrespect the staff have to parents who ask questions. I would not reccommend this school for children with special needs.

Posted June 27, 2008

This is one of the best schools in the Bronx. I love their after school programs. I believe the principal is loving and caring. The staff is friendly and is patient with my child in their work. I am grateful.

Posted June 27, 2008

This is a wonderful school and the teachers there are very nice to my child. I am so ashamed of the negative views here. This is the one of the best public school in the Bronx. I would recommend any parent to send their children here.

Posted February 16, 2008

This school is great! All the students are very nice 2 me. The teachers are very caring and they teach me well! I would recomend you send youre children to this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 14, 2008

This is a great school with very well trained Teachers. Wonderful after school program! Truly a safe place for my Child to be!

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

228 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students22%

General population42%
English language learners23%
Proficient in English40%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students32%

English language learners12%
Proficient in English72%
Non-migrant64%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 35%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1666 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.9

8.5

7.1

7.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.5

7.6

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.3

7.2

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.3

Teachers118100%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• Mr. Brandon Muccino

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now